Crow Shooting Question

Alex1Nat2

Looking for advice on the best time to shoot crows.

I have access to a large pig rearing unit & have always gone as early as possible (4.45am at the moment) to set up before they start to arrive.

My thinking being they are really keen 1st thing when hungry (last Saturday I bagged 159/250 carts)

Problem is work often gets in the way so wondered if crows have feeding cycles like pigeons i.e. 1st thing, rest/digest ten back out again at 3pm ish.

I've checked the fields & there are crows there but I don't know if they stay all day or flight back & forward.

Any advice/info much appreciated.

Steve

You are going the best time. First light has always been the best, I have found. They come off the roost, hungry. I try and get my decoys etc set up before first light, then everything is in place as the Crowd fly over the valley. Late afternoon is another good time, as I've found they feed before returning to the roost.

Edited by steve_b_wales

My problem is the field is huge. 800m + long & 600m+ wide.

If I turn up at 2pm  the field will be covered in birds.

I move them when I set up but they just fly 300m down the field & never actaully leave.

Nexts birds that come in have a choice of my 10 plastic decoys or 300 real birds down the field!

All of my big crow days have been at crack of dawn till I ran out of shells.  If you go into a hide and crows are about then arrange for someone to walk in with you then walk out leaving you in the hide.   They can't count.  Learned that from my grandfather nearly 70yrs ago.

Edited by Walker570

• 2 months later...