If I Ever Win The Lottery . . .

Danger-Mouse

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

was it commisioned or was it a display piece for an arms show ?

It was commissioned. It's a period piece not a modern show piece. The gold work is real gold. I did get the price wrong though. It went for $1.1m at auction the last time it was sold. One of the most expensive guns ever.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think the beauty in some things is in their functionality. 

For me that’s just too dolled up. 

Id prefer to have a Ruger security 6 or a S&W 686 and the cash in the bank myself lol  

Well I did say if I won the lottery and by that I meant a huge win not just a couple of million.

I'm not usually a huge fan of highly decorated guns but this one is very pleasing to my eyes. 

No doubt, a lovely piece of workmanship and you spends your money as you wish, but I would be spending mine on more days shooting.  My T/C Encores and my litle Yilditz 410 will do the job for me and I wouldn't change them for all the money in the world, just enjoy them more.

I once had an original Colt 1849 with all matching numbers, but it didn’t look like that one! It had no finish and the timing was out, and we couldn’t get the lock up quite right, and even though I managed to get hold of a .31 calibre mould to cast heads, I never fired it. 
Eventually swapped it for a little pocket Webley. 
Im not a big fan of heavily adorned firearms, and the Americans tend to go over the top, leaving no space untouched, but I quite like that. 

If I had the money, that sort of work done on a deer calibre rifle would probably be high on my list. Maybe not the gold, but I do like good engraving. Something like an old .275 Rigby would do it. Wouldn't cost anywhere near what that does but I'd spend the change on using the thing all over the world!

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No doubt, a lovely piece of workmanship and you spends your money as you wish, but I would be spending mine on more days shooting.  My T/C Encores and my litle Yilditz 410 will do the job for me and I wouldn't change them for all the money in the world, just enjoy them more.

As I said, we're talking the kind of win where money is never going to be a worry again. Nothing stopping you having something like this and being able to afford to shoot everyday of your life.

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Im not a big fan of heavily adorned firearms, and the Americans tend to go over the top, leaving no space untouched, but I quite like that. 

That's exactly how I feel.

It's neither a Horse or a Mountain Lion (Spec Savers perhaps?). As suggested previously it's probably a Coyote (or Fox according to the Auction House). This piece was sold by Sotheby's in New York some years back. If you want to see it more detail you can go onto their website and view high definition images there.

Edited by Hector Vector
Added more info

Are we talking about the same animal ?   The one on the butt rnd of the action, is certainly a fox...maybe a coyote.   I am talking the one on the barrel.

If the engraver engraved that as a coyote or fox HE needs to go to Spec Savers.

Edited by Walker570

8 hours ago, Scully said:

I once had an original Colt 1849 with all matching numbers, but it didn’t look like that one! It had no finish and the timing was out, and we couldn’t get the lock up quite right, and even though I managed to get hold of a .31 calibre mould to cast heads, I never fired it. 
Eventually swapped it for a little pocket Webley. 

Now that is something I would love to own (a working one of course). There is something about owning a piece of history. Mate of mine has an old Purdy it came with the original buyers details and a list of the work done to it where and when. It's traveled across europe. OK as a shotgun but so much more with the history. 

I used to dream as a kid of owning a ruger black hawk pistol ever since I saw it in G&A 😂