PC Package

PPP

Hi Guys

I'm very out of date with PC as I use Mac for home and work but the family need a new PC for home schooling etc

Any recommendations greatly appreciated for PC, Screen, wireless mouse and keyboard

Budget - as little as feasible but i dont mind paying of its worth it - need to preserve shooting funds

Thanks

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Work out what you need and then ring round your local independent Computer Shops, I am sure they will want your business.

That's partly the problem, I'm not too sure .. PC world have various packages at around £500 which is fine but i don't know whats good and what isn't.

This is for a desktop rather than a laptop

43 minutes ago, PPP said:

Hi Guys

I'm very out of date with PC as I use Mac for home and work but the family need a new PC for home schooling etc

Any recommendations greatly appreciated for PC, Screen, wireless mouse and keyboard

Budget - as little as feasible but i dont mind paying of its worth it - need to preserve shooting funds

Thanks

TBH - Only get a PC if you need a PC - My lads have a PC each for gaming that I give rolling updates on but that suits our situation

I would recommend getting a laptop. Always a good resource is hotukdeals and see what is getting hot on there. As an FYI, I am working on a 32" screen, wireless keyboard and mouse from my works laptop - and then I can take it anywhere in the house if I want to have a different view (just the laptop obviously)

This has been getting a lot of heat in the past week

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-156-inspiron-5505-laptop-ryzen-5-4500u-8gb-3200mhz-ram-ips-256gb-nvme-3497944

which should far exceed your needs and is within your price range

As above - is there a particular reason you need/want a desktop? To be honest most homeschooling activities will be cloud based and unlikely to require the power of a desktop. Unless you are gaming/video or photo editing or need exceptionally large amounts of storage then a laptop will deliver far better value especially if you want to upgrade peripherals at the same time.   

The laptop discobob has posted is extraordinarily good value and will likely do what you need. 

Laptops score well for portability - however they are hard to maintain, the notorious weak spots are having stuff spilt on the keyboard - goes straight through to the hardware underneath, totally trashing the machine.  

A desktop machine is easier to upgrade and repair.

Ebuyer is another good place to look. I would basically start looking at anything with 8 G Ram  "DDR4 SDRAM" A solid state Hard drive 250 GB and up " as it will be quicker to boot up" but you could get a much bigger hard disk drive the older type, for the same or less money I would also go for an AMD Rysen CPU rather than an Intel as you get a lot more bang for your buck and little difference in performance. all of the things I have mentioned above you very can easily add to in the future to give better performance or storage. 

37 minutes ago, PPP said:

That's partly the problem, I'm not too sure .. PC world have various packages at around £500 which is fine but i don't know whats good and what isn't.

This is for a desktop rather than a laptop

But if you discuss your requirements with them they could well tune a deal for you.

Worked for me.

9 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

Ebuyer is another good place to look. I would basically start looking at anything with 8 G Ram  "DDR4 SDRAM" A solid state Hard drive 250 GB and up " as it will be quicker to boot up" but you could get a much bigger hard disk drive the older type, for the same or less money I would also go for an AMD Rysen CPU rather than an Intel as you get a lot more bang for your buck and little difference in performance. all of the things I have mentioned above you very can easily add to in the future to give better performance or storage. 

If you definitely need a desktop then basically this.

Rysen are good little chips - I would be tempted to go with the Rysen 3 3300x. There is little difference between this and the R5 3600 range to really justify the price step.  

M.2 SSD as well if you can. 

Edited by Lord v

I bought one of these for a pensioner shooting friend of mine a couple of months ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MJRL3V6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£123.57 - Windows10 is installed on the 240GB SSD  (so boots in seconds) plus a further 500Gb data disk.    Obviously reconditioned, you'd never use if for gaming (because you need a dedicated graphics card for that) for everything else it's staggeringly good value.   Add a screen (think 24"  FullHD  1920x1080 - with a Display Port output), keyboard and mouse and you have a really useful PC.  Cracking value. 

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Brill thanks, i found and HP to that soak at good money but wasn't sure about AMD Rysen

Not as good as intel but then you would need to increase your budget for something with more processing power..https://laptoping.com/cpus/product/amd-ryzen-3-3200u/

Of course you could always shop around for the best prices and build your system by buying the PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse separately, these people do some good deals..https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/desktop-and-workstation-pcs/desktop-pcs

This review may help you decide on Intel or AMD processor, from what you have said AMD maybe a better option….https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-vs-amd-4033531

Edited by old'un

8 minutes ago, grrclark said:

As said above a few times, the best thing to do is make sure it has a solid state disk (SSD).  The single biggest impact on usable performance by far.

yep, its amazing the difference it makes to everyday use, system boot-up and shut down times are a matter of seconds.

My advice buy all the bits and have someone put them together for you. I had my current desktop done this way and it has been the best PC I've ever owned. I wish I could offer advice on what parts to buy but a friend gave me my list and it's out of date now.

Definitely go for the SSD, they are ridiculously fast. My PC goes from off to fully loaded in an average of about 45 seconds.

I don't use monitors, instead I use TV screens. If you're looking to save a few quid look on Gumtree for something second hand. The "monitor" I' m using right now is a 42" Phillips TV that I bought for £40 a couple of years ago.

My wireless mouse was just a cheap one from Amazon, cost me under £10 and I've had it for 3 years.

Can't comment on keyboards because I'm still using an old fashioned USB one.