Spare barrels

Mr gen

Afternoon all 

what is the law on keeping a spare set of barrels I have a broken 525 with 30 inch barrels, looking to replace it with a newer 28 inch barrelled 525 I have tried my old barrels on the new action and they fit perfectly so does the fore end. Would I legally be allowed to scrap the old gun but keep the barrels? 

Yes you can barrels are on a shotgun aren’t restricted but some forces do require them to be entered on to your sgc.

all easily done but worth speaking to your FEO so you get his view of the rules, but you can keep everything but the action body, the FEO may even take it away for destruction 

Shotguns no problem. I have two barrels for my Remmy Wingmaster, never been a question BUT spare rifle barrels are treated as individual rifles and entered as such on your ticket.

Crazy I know but each of my six rifle barrels for the T/C Encore are entered as separate rifles.

As said above ring FEO anyway for advise because you need to inform of the purchase /acquisition of the new shotgun anyway.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Mr gen said:

Thanks for the swift replies. It may irrelevant yet as I might claim off the house insurance and they will probably insist on destroying the gun themselves. 

BUT, you can offer to buy the barrels back. Spare barrels do not need to be entered on your shotgun certificate either.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

BUT, you can offer to buy the barrels back. Spare barrels do not need to be entered on your shotgun certificate either.

Until you put them in to a Gun Smith who follows the rules and insists they are on your SGC before you can have the gun back.

Well seems to me I have a few calls to make tomorrow. Firstly to the gunsmith to ask him to right a note to the insurance company stating that it is uneconomical to repair the gun and if he will let me keep the barrels after all if he is declaring that he has scrapped the whole gun, it might not sit well with him, then to the FEO to see if he will allow it, then the insurance company to see how they want to proceed! Busy day

Thanks for all the advice I will let you know how it all turns out.

I Had a 20 bore side by side with very badly broken stock that couldn’t be repaired the insurance paid out but never requested that I scrapped it I was going to get some joiner mates of mine to try make a stock but it never happened.

i kept it on my ticket for years my FEO wasn’t concerned I eventually needed more room in the safe so took it to my local gun dealer and they sent off to be scrapped.

8 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

Well seems to me I have a few calls to make tomorrow. Firstly to the gunsmith to ask him to right a note to the insurance company stating that it is uneconomical to repair the gun and if he will let me keep the barrels after all if he is declaring that he has scrapped the whole gun, it might not sit well with him, then to the FEO to see if he will allow it, then the insurance company to see how they want to proceed! Busy day

Thanks for all the advice I will let you know how it all turns out.

I bet you a tenner that if you tell your FEO about the gun he will want the barrels to be entered  on your SGC, I tell FEO's nothing regarding what I buy or sell, I just tell the firearms department where my SGC is granted.

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well here in Cambridgeshire I have had two guns worked on with odd barrels and the Gunsmith insisted they needed listing on my SGC before he could return them.

Consequently I got them added to my SGC.

Not a problem for me.

That’s a local view often put out by the FEOs and it’s easier just to follow their view of the rules on something like this.   

10 hours ago, BlaserF3 said:

I bet you a tenner that if you tell your FEO about the gun he will want the barrels to be entered  on your SGC, I tell FEO's nothing regarding what I buy or sell, I just tell the firearms department where my SGC is granted.

I didn't tell my FEO, the Gunsmith was the person who said the shop was following new rules.

Consequently I then had to tell my FEO in order to get the Barrels listed so I could collect them.

I do not have a problem with any of this and believe it was new guidance adopted in line with the EU which we were still in at the time.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I didn't tell my FEO, the Gunsmith was the person who said the shop was following new rules.

Consequently I then had to tell my FEO in order to get the Barrels listed so I could collect them.

I do not have a problem with any of this and believe it was new guidance adopted in line with the EU which we were still in at the time.

And an FEO will have told the gunsmith.  It’s really not a issue or problem.  My one RFD is in Surrey the other Hants (at one point only 3 miles apart) they don’t agree one require spare shotgun barrels listed the other doesn’t. 

Its not as if you need a variation to do it or have a limit on how many you hold.