Anchutz 1730

A bolt 22.250

Hi all I bought the above rifle secondhand a while ago and only got around to shooting it last week.

i purchased some 30gr Hornady ammo and went out to zero it initially it looked ok the rifle was on the centre of the target after 5 shots 6th shot there was an almighty bang bits of debris came out the action once the smoke had cleared I tried to open the bolt but The force made the extractor claw come out of its housing and jammed the bolt I managed to get it out and could see that the case head had completely separated from the case and I had to take the rifle home to extract it from the chamber.

i thought perhaps a doggy load  a few days later I tried again I put the last 14 rounds through it and couldn’t get it to group much more than 3” and I had 8 out of the 20 rounds with badly split cases.

Has anyone else experienced this the rifle looks in good shape and the trigger is superb could it be the ammo I now Hornady 17hmr ammo is rubbish but I thought there centre fire stuff was ok?

i welcome your feedback on this as if it’s the rifle I might get it rebarrled.

Edited by A bolt 22.250

i have a 1517 & use Hornady red tip ammo, nt had a bad round yet & tighter than a nuns nasty too. A mate has same rifle & bought some Hornady ammo off of somebody, red & blue tip, i told him to dump the blue tip but no, he tried them rather than waste them, he found they were inaccurate & had 2 squibs, he dumped them.

11 hours ago, A bolt 22.250 said:

i welcome your feedback on this as if it’s the rifle I might get it rebarrled.

The gun sounds a danger to yourself and others, get a gunsmith to look it over, I wouldnt fire again until its been checked over.

Re barrelling in expensive, probably more than the gun is worth.

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This ^^^^^^

never worth the time spent in hospital you were lucky 

You say it’s expensive but if the action is alright and you take into consideration that I paid £400 for the rifle and it’s sat in a nice McMillan stock I bought for it as the old stock was trashed. And a new one is £1500 + surly I could get it rebarreld for around £1000 or less and I might even get it done in .17 hornet as new one of those at S.P.C is advertised at £1850

7 minutes ago, A bolt 22.250 said:

You say it’s expensive but if the action is alright and you take into consideration that I paid £400 for the rifle and it’s sat in a nice McMillan stock I bought for it as the old stock was trashed. And a new one is £1500 + surly I could get it rebarreld for around £1000 or less and I might even get it done in .17 hornet as new one of those at S.P.C is advertised at £1850

Now there’s a bit more information to work with 👍

iv seen a couple of 17 hmr virtually destroyed by duff ammunition with owners luckily escaping serious injury 

so I would still recommend going to a good gunsmith and getting it sorted 

maybe there’s a reason for it being sold on 

12 minutes ago, A bolt 22.250 said:

Around £600 for a new barrel, is the bolt OK ? It still needs a visit to a gunsmith, and I mean a GUNSMITH , not someone who knows a bit about guns 😏

Or , you could buy a whole new gun ? https://www.gunstar.co.uk/anschutz-1730-bolt-action-22-hornet-rifles/rifles/1174727 for the same money.

Its pointless talking about what they are new , as yours isnt new, what you are suggesting is spend near enough the value of a new one to make your broken 2nd hand one work ?
Why would you do that ?

Sorry to hear about your issues with the rifle mate, hope you get it sorted. 
With regards to the 30 grain bullets, that must be seriously motoring with that load!? I’ve always used 50 or 55g Hornady BT’s and found them spot on. You sure the groupings aren’t great due to the light round? Just asking as by no means an expert in ballistics👍

13 minutes ago, foxbuster said:

Sorry to hear about your issues with the rifle mate, hope you get it sorted. 
With regards to the 30 grain bullets, that must be seriously motoring with that load!? I’ve always used 50 or 55g Hornady BT’s and found them spot on. You sure the groupings aren’t great due to the light round? Just asking as by no means an expert in ballistics👍

My bad, was looking at your user name🙈👍