Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hafod

Jerky or biltong

Recommended Posts

Well the title says it all lol 

Anyone making their own and care to share your recipe I.ll post mine for a delicious homemade biltong if there's any interest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always fancied making Biltong! How do you dry yours if you dont mind me asking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Always fancied making Biltong! How do you dry yours if you dont mind me asking? 

You can go in the oven at the very lowest setting with the door slightly open, or just hang in a rack over a smouldering fire.

I generally just use standard dry barbecue rubs, although there's a wet Teryaki recipe that I've been waiting to do and this thread has reminded me - Cheers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venison 'biltong' using store cupboard ingredients that lets the flavour of the venison be the star - not classic biltong by any means just the recipe I started with and the flavour feedback is such I see no reason to change
cut 3 - 4 lbs of venison into 1/4 inch thick slices
in a plastic container  grind salt (I like to use Maldon sea salt as most local to me) and pepper as though you were seasoning some meat fairly heavily. 
Now do it again so you have double seasoning.
Add a layer of meat.
sprinkle on some malt vinegar making sure all meat gets some.
Repeat the above until you have used up all the venison finishing with vinegar and more seasoning on top.
Leave in fridge for 4 - 6 hours then give everything a turn top to bottom then back in the fridge overnight.
Drain off the vinegar and dry the meat.
place in a 5 tier electric dehydrator (hence 3 - 4 lbs so it will fit plus you do not annoy the mrs by using her oven for 2 days and you can put the dehydrator wherever convenient)
lowest setting, dry for 1 - 2 days depending on how chewy/dry you like it. Turn meat over and change around trays morning and evening for even drying.

Enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always interested in biltong recipes!

Made some good stuff in the past using my hot smoker, but have a dehyrator to try now too... Can't remember the exact recipe I used but it was delicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Always fancied making Biltong! How do you dry yours if you dont mind me asking? 

I use a food dehydrator for mine all depends how dry you like it really I like mine so I can chew it so I give mine 12 to 15 hours in the dehydrator and its perfect for me

I then cut into slices about an 1/8 inch thick weigh it into 100 gram batchs and seal it vacuum bags and store in the freezer food on the go so to speak lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 243deer said:

Venison 'biltong' using store cupboard ingredients that lets the flavour of the venison be the star - not classic biltong by any means just the recipe I started with and the flavour feedback is such I see no reason to change
cut 3 - 4 lbs of venison into 1/4 inch thick slices
in a plastic container  grind salt (I like to use Maldon sea salt as most local to me) and pepper as though you were seasoning some meat fairly heavily. 
Now do it again so you have double seasoning.
Add a layer of meat.
sprinkle on some malt vinegar making sure all meat gets some.
Repeat the above until you have used up all the venison finishing with vinegar and more seasoning on top.
Leave in fridge for 4 - 6 hours then give everything a turn top to bottom then back in the fridge overnight.
Drain off the vinegar and dry the meat.
place in a 5 tier electric dehydrator (hence 3 - 4 lbs so it will fit plus you do not annoy the mrs by using her oven for 2 days and you can put the dehydrator wherever convenient)
lowest setting, dry for 1 - 2 days depending on how chewy/dry you like it. Turn meat over and change around trays morning and evening for even drying.

Enjoy

Did you find your turned out to be too salty using that recipe if you don't mind me asking cos I used a similar recipe to yours and I found it way too salty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first batch I did was too salty but still just about edible as I sprinkled salt, that is why I started using salt and pepper grinders as I found it then spread a thinner amount and was easier to judge. Obviously as I butcher my own venison I am able to make sure that the meat is as good as can be with no contaminants and stringent hygiene. The vinegar will take care of pretty much all air borne pathogens that might get on the meat as it is sliced so I think that the salt can be to taste. If you are going to keep for a while then maybe a little more salt is needed as a preservative but every batch I make seems to disappear long before preservation becomes an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 243deer said:

The first batch I did was too salty but still just about edible as I sprinkled salt, that is why I started using salt and pepper grinders as I found it then spread a thinner amount and was easier to judge. Obviously as I butcher my own venison I am able to make sure that the meat is as good as can be with no contaminants and stringent hygiene. The vinegar will take care of pretty much all air borne pathogens that might get on the meat as it is sliced so I think that the salt can be to taste. If you are going to keep for a while then maybe a little more salt is needed as a preservative but every batch I make seems to disappear long before preservation becomes an issue.

Lol same here does no hang about long enough to have issues with it

I use beef though am tempted to try seeing if i could use a leg of lamb

**** or bust as they say lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

be interested in how your lamb experiment goes, being a fattier meat should end up very tasty, season with mint sauce maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2020 at 09:12, 243deer said:

be interested in how your lamb experiment goes, being a fattier meat should end up very tasty, season with mint sauce maybe

Yeah i.ll have a go and try a leg of lamb soon woudnt have thought there be much difference between the lamb and venison would there

bit fatter obviously but should be worth a try 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did some red and Sika last year.Used a kit that my brother brought back from Cabelas.It gives you all the correct measurements of mix to your weight of meat.I dried in the oven at its lowest setting and it (mostly) turned out very nice.A bit charred at the edges but I just cut them off,the centre cuts were fine and chewy. I froze it and used throughout the season.I would do it again and prob buy a dehydrator to take the cooking element out of it.

I think practice would make perfect, thankfully I have more of the kit left over so will give it another go soon.

20200714_173638.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I.ve been using the tongmaster piri piri biltong spice mix its nice dont get me wrong but just got to get the balance right a little to much salt if you over season with it 

but I do prefer the spice mix I made myself when I first started making biltong got the recipe off my cousins wife who is a springbok she was spot on with the receipe fair play l

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VJ3.jpg

VJ4.jpg

I make venison jerky quite regularly using my own marinade recipe & it's mega popular!,i experimented a lot with marinades until i was satisfied,i now stick to the same each time but vary the quantities according to the weight of meat,9 ingredients:

Soy sauce.

Worcestershire sauce.

Brown sugar.

Black pepper.

Garlic powder.

Onion powder.

Paprika.

Salt.

Colgin liquid smoke,hickory,(be cautious with the liquid smoke,a couple of drops too much overpowers everything else!)

I've also made goose & pigeon jerky using the same recipe,again it's very popular.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/07/2020 at 11:28, 51/50 said:

VJ3.jpg

VJ4.jpg

I make venison jerky quite regularly using my own marinade recipe & it's mega popular!,i experimented a lot with marinades until i was satisfied,i now stick to the same each time but vary the quantities according to the weight of meat,9 ingredients:

Soy sauce.

Worcestershire sauce.

Brown sugar.

Black pepper.

Garlic powder.

Onion powder.

Paprika.

Salt.

Colgin liquid smoke,hickory,(be cautious with the liquid smoke,a couple of drops too much overpowers everything else!)

I've also made goose & pigeon jerky using the same recipe,again it's very popular.

 

Now I did make my first venison biltong last week and I must confess venison is not to my taste

A friend gave me a hind leg of venison he had in the freezer now weather it had been in the freezer to long I don't know but it wasnt for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...