Morello Cherries

Old Boggy

Having just picked 6 lbs of Morello cherries from one of my trees, I was wondering if anyone has any recipes for something other than cherry brandy. Last year was a poor year for my cherries with none picked and all left for the birds. However, this year there are plenty for my use with plenty left for the blackbirds.

My cherry brandy always seems a bit bland and definitely needs a `bite` to it. I have heard that some cracked stones give this but never having tried it, cannot say.

I assume that any spirit can be added, but some must be better than others, so was wondering what others have experimented with.

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.

OB

I made a load of ice cream, it has to be the best tasting ice cream ive ever had. 

You have just got to give it a go. 

The cream cheese is not dairy lea by the way, 

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/betty-crocker-cream-cheese-style-icing-284049011

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a32028900/cherry-cassis-ice-cream/

8 hours ago, jasper682 said:

Wasn't there a recipe on here for cherry vodka??

Jasper. 

Edit. It's in the ginger brandy thread. 

Thanks for that jasper. Just found it and will give vodka a go.

OB

Managed just three handfuls off two trees this year as the blackbirds beat me to it every morning, so well done harvesting those.   I would try vodka or even white rum or even dark rum for that matter. Yes crack a few stones.  I have always played with the idea of chopping some other nuts and including them  r.g walnuts or hazel nuts.    A double handful of soft dark brown sugar is my additive as well.   Poured a couple of fingers of bullace vodka with the that sugar,  into some Prosecco last week to start the barbie off and three bottles of fizz later and almost a bottle of the vodka mixer, everyone was very happy.    Enjoy.

On 15/07/2020 at 08:03, Walker570 said:

Managed just three handfuls off two trees this year as the blackbirds beat me to it every morning, so well done harvesting those.   I would try vodka or even white rum or even dark rum for that matter. Yes crack a few stones.  I have always played with the idea of chopping some other nuts and including them  r.g walnuts or hazel nuts.    A double handful of soft dark brown sugar is my additive as well.   Poured a couple of fingers of bullace vodka with the that sugar,  into some Prosecco last week to start the barbie off and three bottles of fizz later and almost a bottle of the vodka mixer, everyone was very happy.    Enjoy.

Many thanks for those ideas. 

I`ve got access to bullaces this year so when they`re ready I will give bullace vodka a go.

17 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Many thanks for those ideas. 

I`ve got access to bullaces this year so when they`re ready I will give bullace vodka a go.

We made Bullace vodka and Bullace gin last year. The vodka was the better by far but it was very strong and we ended up agreeing that adding tonic or even better Prosecco was the way to enjoy it.

6 hours ago, JDog said:

We made Bullace vodka and Bullace gin last year. The vodka was the better by far but it was very strong and we ended up agreeing that adding tonic or even better Prosecco was the way to enjoy it.

Thanks for that JDog.

Bullace vodka it will be then.

OB

We stayed in a Gite some years back in Gerardmer. The owner used to stab wild cherries with a fork then pickle them in Eau de Vie in shiphams paste type jars. He'd leave them down for a year. Then the fun would start. Eating the wild cherries with cocktail sticks then seeing who could spit the stones the furthest: then downing the spirit. Childish but great fun after about 3 jars.