Metal lathe work?

14 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

The extra fingers give Norfolk boys the edge when it comes to using the shuttle control panel. 

the problem we last had was when we come into land at Cantley space centre ...the ole fag tin got caught under the brake pedal.....huh zero g for yer..

had to deploy the old drouge chute to slow us down......that worked a treat they were made from aunty flo's drawers.........blast they held sum air boi

Edited by ditchman

40 minutes ago, pegasus bridge said:

They arrived this morning Ian 👍 work a treat 👌🏻 Thanks again for doing this, very much appreciated .

1F745403-D9EB-4EFC-AC3C-A83D0443BC53.jpeg

It's always a relief when something that one makes works first time without needing further adjustment 😁

Edited by amateur

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

the problem we last had was when we come into land at Cantley space centre ...the ole fag tin got caught under the brake pedal.....huh zero g for yer..

had to deploy the old drouge chute to slow us down......that worked a treat they were made from aunty flo's drawers.........blast they held sum air boi

:yahoo:  I've just spit a mouthful of Morrisons best Glen Stag on the screen, will you desist:drinks:

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

Hahahahaha!! 

Very good! 

Amateur that second set you made looked like a grade of copper rather than bronze.

May have been the camera or the way the pics look on here but very pink like pure copper. Reminded me of looking at MIG welding tip threads.

Edited by figgy

15 hours ago, figgy said:

Amateur that second set you made looked like a grade of copper rather than bronze.

May have been the camera or the way the pics look on here but very pink like pure copper. Reminded me of looking at MIG welding tip threads.

You may well be right.

Although I have never turned copper, I read that it leaves unformed "soapy" chips. The metal that I used certainly didn't turn leaving chips like brass, but did leave ribbons like stainless or aluminium. 

I was given this bar by my late father when he was clockmaking, and I have half a memory that he said that it was bronze.

The photo does look redder than the metal in reality.

Never needed to use it until now!

2 hours ago, amateur said:

You may well be right.

Although I have never turned copper, I read that it leaves unformed "soapy" chips. The metal that I used certainly didn't turn leaving chips like brass, but did leave ribbons like stainless or aluminium. 

I was given this bar by my late father when he was clockmaking, and I have half a memory that he said that it was bronze.

The photo does look redder than the metal in reality.

Never needed to use it until now!

Its copper, brass and bronze will chip cut.

9 hours ago, figgy said:

Amateur could well be higher copper content bronze. Nice you finally got to use the bar for something that will be used to give someone else pleasure 👍

During lockdown, I used the time to tidy up and rationalise my workshop and found all sorts of odds and ends, bits for motorbikes that I had sold long ago (and I have just eBayed them) and offcuts of mainly stainless and aluminium that I acquired over the years when I worked on the finance side of engineering companies. I was able to take what I wanted for the scrap price. Much of it was incorporated into my bikes, but I've still got enough to probably see me out, so if it can be put to use, why not?

Edited by amateur