RIP WOR JACKIE !!

hodge911

I've always had a soft spot for Jack, despite his alleged misdemeanours. Great sportsman and the only Irishman to have been  born in, and won a a world cup for, England.😉

He is still greatly loved by Republic of Ireland fans for the joy he brought a nation during dark times. His down to earth and straight talking, unapologetic approach matched perfectly those he led. 

RIP Big Jack.

Edited by Big Al

In the 70's I was watching Liverpool v Leeds and I was right at the front of the Kop.

During a LFC attack the goalie went out to the edge of the area and Keegan chipped him, a goal was a certainty till big Jack ran towards the goal and headed it over the bar.

He came to rest with his hands on the Kop wall and someone shouted ' Charlton you're a ******g  big Yarddog.' To which Jack replied ' I  and a ******g well paid Yarddog at that '.

What a character !

Great footballer and saw him play at Anfield, met him on a cruise, and an all round decent countryman

1 minute ago, Robertt said:

In the 70's I was watching Liverpool v Leeds and I was right at the front of the Kop.

During a LFC attack the goalie went out to the edge of the area and Keegan chipped him, a goal was a certainty till big Jack ran towards the goal and headed it over the bar.

He came to rest with his hands on the Kop wall and someone shouted ' Charlton you're a ******g  big Yarddog.' To which Jack replied ' I  and a ******g well paid Yarddog at that '.

What a character !

Was there for that game but didn’t here that one

If you weren't at the front you'd probably not have heard it but it prompted spontaneous laughter from the crowd. I'd never heard a player shout back at the crowd , let alone swear back at them it was very funny and I always chuckled about it everytime I saw him on the box.