BKL mounts problem

30-6

Bought a pair of BKL 566 risers 11mm dovetail to 20mm picatinny, to put NV on an AA s200.

In the instruction leaflet it states if too tight remove clamping screw, fit into the threaded hole on the mount and tighten so as to widen the width.

However, the gun dovetail is 11mm and the mount dovetail is 13 mm, the exact opposite.

So, am I expected to decrease this 2 mm by really tightening the clamping screws ? The mount is machined from one solid piece, so would it give or snap ?

Never come across anything  like this before, and it seems odd that it tells you how to widen but not decrease the width. Surely for a well known and respected item it should fit in the first place anyway.

Had them from an online RFD.

If you look on the BKL website, the leaflet that came with the mounts is shown on there, under the 500 series. There is an explanation to increase the width, but not to decrease, it is done by what they term the spreader hole.

I have read since posting this query, that they are machined from a solid block with a purpose made weak spot, that will give to accommodate different widths.

However, I still am not comfortable forcing screws to lose 2 mm.

I have just e-mailed the RFD shop I had them from and BKL in America. I suggested that would it be possible they are "faulty " or could they have been used and are "second hand".

Let's see what each says.

Edited by 30-6
Spelling

16 hours ago, 30-6 said:

I have just e-mailed the RFD shop I had them from and BKL in America. I suggested that would it be possible they are "faulty " or could they have been used and are "second hand".

Let's see what each says.

Hello, it will be interesting what BKL say ? I do not think they a second hand, could be a production fault, does it say where made on the box or instructions ? The design of the mounts with the machined gap where as those made in uk do not have this, did you measure 13mm when closed ? If you have to take up 2mm plus squeezing the mount gap seems a very poor design

Well, I had an immediate response from BKL. They asked for picks to confirm the right mounts were in the box. Another reply then stating they were correct, no offer of any exchange. But what they did suggest was buying another mount, fixing this to the gun, then fixing the problem mount to this, then the picatinny rail on top.

Now, the mount they suggested was the wrong size anyway, but this was never going to happen.

I said it would be undesirable to double the scope height, I was not prepared to spend on another mount which would double my purchase price and the mount suggested would not fit anyway. Still awaiting reply to this. The RFD has not replied at all. I'll give it another day and see what transpires.

I usually support local businesses where possible in any type of retail they are in if I can get what I need with them.  We all know the " boarded up everything must go sale signs" in the high streets feeling. But the reason I could not visit local RFD' s on this occasion is due to this shielding lark. I am supposed to stay safe until 16th August, have not been in a shop since 17th March.

On 16/07/2020 at 10:41, 30-6 said:

Well, I had an immediate response from BKL. They asked for picks to confirm the right mounts were in the box. Another reply then stating they were correct, no offer of any exchange. But what they did suggest was buying another mount, fixing this to the gun, then fixing the problem mount to this, then the picatinny rail on top.

Now, the mount they suggested was the wrong size anyway, but this was never going to happen.

I said it would be undesirable to double the scope height, I was not prepared to spend on another mount which would double my purchase price and the mount suggested would not fit anyway. Still awaiting reply to this. The RFD has not replied at all. I'll give it another day and see what transpires.

Hello, was that BKL USA ? What a poor suggestion !!, It's up to the supplier RFD but seems they are not interested, I can only suggest try and get a refund or exchange for some sportsmatch mounts, 

Pretty rubbish service all round really. I thought BKL was supposed to be quality kit. The idea of squeezing 13mm down to 11mm and retaining accuracy sounds pure BS to me. My immediate assumption was that some BSA mounts were in a regular 9-11mm dovetail packaging by mistake. 

Let us know the outcome, it will certainly influence my decision to use their products in the future. 

An update for those following this post. It is still ongoing.

I basically told the manufacturer e mail back and fore is not solving my problem and I might as well bin the mounts. I think what I was after was an offer to replace the mounts or at least an explanation as to how / why the mounts are too wide. I would have thought that they would have been interested in having this set back for inspection. This set cannot be the only bad set manufacturer.

The shop I bought them from have not replied to my email from 2 weeks ago. I will try them again on Monday.

Hello, I know how you feel and sure other PW members, dont bin them yet, it looks like the shops not interested, just send a mail saying your put a note on a UK shooting forum of this and if their not bothered, only choice is buy a different make like Hawke and sell the BKLs as 13mm rail mounts, 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, firstly an apology to the people following this post showing interest, for the long time in replying.

As mentioned, I told the manufacturer I did not want any more e mail from them as that would not solve my dilemma. The shop purchased from did not answer e mail, and I always thought if an email was not delivered a message would come back to me, so I'm assuming they received mail from me.

Between lockdown I have not been in any shops until yesterday, from 17th March to 17th August due to shielding. I think like everybody else together with general life's little problems I got a bit fed up.

So, an old work mate, ( socially distancing ) called to see me after I had a moan on the phone. Cut a long story short he likes his air rifles and ended up taking the mounts home with him. I didn't mind as he has been a very good friend over many years and has helped me no end on many occasions.

So they're gone. I always support local businesses and shops where I can, it's nice to see before you buy, but lockdown and shop closures prevented it this time.

Once again thanks to all who showed interest.

12 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Well, firstly an apology to the people following this post showing interest, for the long time in replying.

As mentioned, I told the manufacturer I did not want any more e mail from them as that would not solve my dilemma. The shop purchased from did not answer e mail, and I always thought if an email was not delivered a message would come back to me, so I'm assuming they received mail from me.

Between lockdown I have not been in any shops until yesterday, from 17th March to 17th August due to shielding. I think like everybody else together with general life's little problems I got a bit fed up.

So, an old work mate, ( socially distancing ) called to see me after I had a moan on the phone. Cut a long story short he likes his air rifles and ended up taking the mounts home with him. I didn't mind as he has been a very good friend over many years and has helped me no end on many occasions.

So they're gone. I always support local businesses and shops where I can, it's nice to see before you buy, but lockdown and shop closures prevented it this time.

Once again thanks to all who showed interest.

Hello, nice one 30_6 👍

Cheshire Gun Room. Am I correct in thinking that if e mail is not delivered for any reason, the sender is notified ? I allowed extra time taking into account Corvid virus problems like less staff available, checked my spam folder but never had any response from them.

Edited by 30-6
Additional details

On the other hand, the manufacturer got back to me straight away. I sent them pics as requested, but some of the solutions they suggested was like if we were on a different page to each other. Also, I would have thought that they would have wanted the mounts back for inspection, but no.