BASC Launch 7 figure fighting fund

46 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Just left the AGM and BASC have set aside a 7 figure fighting fund to fight for shooting 

https://basc.org.uk/basc-launches-legal-fighting-fund/

Fantastic work BASC 👍

Good headline, what does it really mean in practice?

I see nothing to especially celebrate or describe as "fantastic" in any way.

Another way to describe that would be BASC have ring fenced an accumulated 7 figure sum from member subscriptions that to date has been used for nothing.

Edited by grrclark

18 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Another way to describe that would be BASC have ring fenced an accumulated 7 figure sum from member subscriptions that to date has been used for nothing.

quite..............

god im getting more and more cynicle

Does it matter where it comes from, it's about time we got back at the deadly trio and their army of petition pushers.Let us hope that  it is not a false dawn and the beginning of putting us on the front foot and not fighting  rear guard actions all the time.

38 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

I have just been to the BASC website and the new million pound begging bowl is already there. The results of the elections to Council are not shown. Does it matter any more who is elected ?

As I was elected I very much hope so.  It’s not a begging bowl, it’s existing resources ringfenced to fight the ‘lawfare’ being waged by the antis. For your information, Oliver McCullough retained the Northern Ireland seat and Al Gabriel was elected to the other vacancy.

What I think? This is what I think.

That this "Fighting Fund" is in fact already spent, as it were, and what it'll be spent on is defending the interests of the "big bag boys" and their bedfellows the British Game Alliance (ASK BASC WHERE THE MONEY CAME TO UNDERWRITE THIS BGA).

The devil as always is in the detail. BASC's announcement says this " In addition, it will enable BASC to launch effective defences to disruptive legal challenges that could negatively impact our community. "

So I fear that not a single penny piece will be spent on a judicial review on GP Reports and or woodpigeon control anything else besides other than the forthcoming tussle as in my opening sentences. Yes? Or No?

So can any BASC Member ask BASC if what I think is near the mark or off the mark?

On past failures such as airgun licensing in Scotland and Chief Officers of Police demanding "no GP Report no FAC".

It's just throwing good money after bad.

Fighting Fund?

Past form has shown that they couldn't fight their way out a damp paper bag.

BASC came into being in 1981. Since 1981 shooting has seen:

Centrefire self-loading and pump action rifles raised to s5. With compensation payable to owners of but 50% of the market value and no compensation for dedicated accessories.

Repeating shotguns with a magazine capacity over two rounds raised to s1. With the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having these restricted to two shots.

Detachable magazine shotguns....like the Marlin Goose Gun and notwithstanding that that magazine holds only two shots....being raised to s1. Or the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having that magazine welded in place and Proof House certified to keep it on a s2 SGC.

All centrefire and rimfire pistols and revolvers raised to s5. With no compensation to the owners of ranges where these were used if, as a direct result, those ranges went out of business.

The requirement for two referees on an FAC or SGC.

Air weapons onto an FAC in Scotland with (unless I am wrong) casual back garden plinking not acceptable as a "good reason" to posses. Yet the "B" in BASC surely stands for "British" and last time I looked at a map Scotland was part of Britain.

A ban of air weapons being sent direct from an RFD to a private buyer. All such must now be face-to-face. Even regardless of if the purchaser of that airgun was by virtue of holding an FAC or SGC of "fit and good character" residing at a verifiable address.

Brocock cartridge system air weapons (even the Brockcock Lee Enfield No4) raised to s5. With the owner then if it was surrendered , or at a future time when they gave up their non-transferable ownership, of his or hers heirs on their death receiving no compensation for the weapon.

Ladygun, I seldom get drawn but here goes

The first "legal document" I ever saw was my Dad's copy of the Wild Birds Protection Act of 1954. I joined WAGBI soon after as a schoolboy and was "head-hunted" for a club committee at 18. Ever since I have been involved locally, regionally, and occasionally nationally in many ways. So I have served my time and perhaps earned the right to criticise.

To my mind the lean and mean machine that WAGBI/BASC once was has grown but has slowly metamorphosed into a mechanism for defending, above all else, the "canned hunting" of reared game.

Those of us who have the hunter-gatherer mentality feel failed, and we no longer have confidence in BASC even bothering with us.We do not attend black-tie fundraising dinners, nor buy new SUVs, and we actually wish to shoot enough duck for a good family dinner rather than a truckload of ditch chickens "for fun" as our enemies would have it.

Crack on, and I wish you luck. A few years ago I would be phoning round to urge people to vote for Council. But I just don't care any more and I am not alone.

6 hours ago, grrclark said:

Well said, that man !

5 hours ago, Ladygun said:

As I was elected I very much hope so.  It’s not a begging bowl, it’s existing resources ringfenced to fight the ‘lawfare’ being waged by the antis. For your information, Oliver McCullough retained the Northern Ireland seat and Al Gabriel was elected to the other vacancy.

Congratulations Ann 

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

That this "Fighting Fund" is in fact already spent, as it were, and what it'll be spent on is defending the interests of the "big bag boys" and their bedfellows the British Game Alliance (ASK BASC WHERE THE MONEY CAME TO UNDERWRITE THIS BGA).

The devil as always is in the detail. BASC's announcement says this " In addition, it will enable BASC to launch effective defences to disruptive legal challenges that could negatively impact our community. "

So I fear that not a single penny piece will be spent on a judicial review on GP Reports and or woodpigeon control anything else besides other than the forthcoming tussle as in my opening sentences. Yes? Or No?

So can any BASC Member ask BASC if what I think is near the mark or off the mark?

On past failures such as airgun licensing in Scotland and Chief Officers of Police demanding "no GP Report no FAC".

Fighting Fund?

Centrefire self-loading and pump action rifles raised to s5. With compensation payable to owners of but 50% of the market value and no compensation for dedicated accessories.

Repeating shotguns with a magazine capacity over two rounds raised to s1. With the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having these restricted to two shots.

Detachable magazine shotguns....like the Marlin Goose Gun and notwithstanding that that magazine holds only two shots....being raised to s1. Or the owner having to pay from their own pocket the cost of having that magazine welded in place and Proof House certified to keep it on a s2 SGC.

All centrefire and rimfire pistols and revolvers raised to s5. With no compensation to the owners of ranges where these were used if, as a direct result, those ranges went out of business.

Air weapons onto an FAC in Scotland with (unless I am wrong) casual back garden plinking not acceptable as a "good reason" to posses. Yet the "B" in BASC surely stands for "British" and last time I looked at a map Scotland was part of Britain.

A ban of air weapons being sent direct from an RFD to a private buyer. All such must now be face-to-face. Even regardless of if the purchaser of that airgun was by virtue of holding an FAC or SGC of "fit and good character" residing at a verifiable address.

Brocock cartridge system air weapons (even the Brockcock Lee Enfield No4) raised to s5. With the owner then if it was surrendered , or at a future time when they gave up their non-transferable ownership, of his or hers heirs on their death receiving no compensation for the weapon.

all of that and just think how much worse it would have been if BASC didn't fight for us... blimey... I am super chuffed 

11 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

all of that and just think how much worse it would have been if BASC didn't fight for us... blimey... I am super chuffed 

I think you’ll find all of that is DESPITE BASC allegedly fighting for us.....apart from the handgun part; they simply hunkered down and told everyone to ‘keep a low profile ,‘ no doubt in order to avoid being tarred with the same brush. Still took my subs though! 🙂

18 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Fighting Fund?

Not that it makes much difference, but in Scotland it’s a separate Air Weapon Certificate now, or they could be held on a shotgun cert until it expired (I think most will have expired now).
If you have a SGC or FAC, the AWC is £5 (five pounds), if you want an AWC only it’s £72.

19 hours ago, Ladygun said:

So, is this the dosh that we all chipped in for some time back for the last "fighting fund". As far as I'm aware it was never spent on any fighting as BASC never did take part in any such struggle.

Who elects the President and his/her vices?

On 12/07/2020 at 12:04, wymberley said:

So, is this the dosh that we all chipped in for some time back for the last "fighting fund". As far as I'm aware it was never spent on any fighting as BASC never did take part in any such struggle.

Who elects the President and his/her vices?

and they still kept putting the membership fees up

2 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

and they still kept putting the membership fees up

I dialled in for the AGM, the fees weren't put up last year, this year and not being put up next year. 

also the fees for the LEI want up by 400k last year this wasn't passed to the members. 

if you get a chance to see the AGM notes or video it is worth looking at .

clarified lots of concerns for me and now we have a fighting fund set aside for court cases. 

On 12/07/2020 at 09:17, Scully said:

I think you’ll find all of that is DESPITE BASC allegedly fighting for us.....apart from the handgun part; they simply hunkered down and told everyone to ‘keep a low profile ,‘ no doubt in order to avoid being tarred with the same brush. Still took my subs though! 🙂

yes i am with you i understand, although i feel that if they didn't fight for us we wouldn't be shooting at all...