Mackerel are in

chrisjpainter

I've not had a great time of it yakking on the coast of late and needed a bit of a pickmeup session. I decided to go full tilt after the bass, but bait fish to try and pick up the bigger specimen fish behind the usual schoolies I've caught from the beach.

I planned a 3:30am launch time to coincide with the last of a falling tide, followed by the flood, in what was forecast to be a slovenly 5-7mph westerly winds only gusting to 10-12mph. I got out of the car to be confronted with nearer 15mph winds gusting close to 20 and coming from the North. And a chap snoring like a rhino in his tent next to the carpark. But I'd put the effort in to that point and it made me glad I'd punted for the drysuit instead of a wetsuit/jacket combo. Fortunately it was a short paddle to where I planned to fish, as the northerly wind now meant a strong crosswind, not a helpful tail. 

Yak1.JPG.0f5de96ec32f216ce333b52957d53742.JPGYak2.JPG.c58868f13ebecd6b411404995ad85bf0.JPG

I set up, opened the bait box and realised I'd packed the wrong one and there was barely anything in it. 'I hope I can pick up a few mackerel, otherwise I'm scuppered for this trip,' I thought. Then the mackerel arrived. Shed loads of them! I never got a touch on the bigger bait designed for the bass, but it didn't matter, the mackerel just kept coming on mackerel, squid strips, feathers and jigs. Whatever went into the water, within five minutes a mack would hoover it up. I kept 13. Those smaller, 30cm will end up as bait, but the bigger ones will get battered, smoked, pated or barbecued. I reckon I kept 1 in every 5 (60+ fish in four hours ain't too shabby!) fish and the size average was excellent. I didn't bother measuring those that went back, but I reckon 20-30 would have been over 30cm. 

yak4.JPG.e70c1fa1651decb93eb0e4c67d19fc02.JPG

So it wasn't the session I'd planned but definitely most welcome. Summer for me is defined by two things: the return of swifts and the return of mackerel, so both boxes are now ticked! Now to clean EVERYTHING of mackerel scales...

Yak3.thumb.JPG.6bd59dbcbaf7dd88eed6628a11f12214.JPG

40 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Don't eat fish but really enjoy mackerel fishing. Off a boat/yak 6/8lb line, mepp or spoon, really good fun. Might head down next week. 

Where were you fishing from, and are they within casting distance? 

Do you know Ringstead Bay? I'll drop you a pm

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

I love mackerel. Filleted a little salt and black pepper on the skin and shallow fried for 2 minutes a side.

Aye. Gotta keep it simple. Tonight I think we're lightly battering some fillets and flash frying them. New pots, fresh veg and a well earned rest, me thinks!

55 minutes ago, old'un said:

Blimey I know that area, where did you launch your kayak from?

The little run down from the carpark ono the beach. It's not so bad getting it over the shingle as the trolley takes the brunt, but I have to shut my ears a bit to the scraping sounds when getting it back up!

• 4 weeks later...

I went into my local 'fishmonger' yesterday hoping to buy some mackerel - I would not have fed what was on offer to my cat - they would have made good stinky pot bait though. I guess they get away with selling it to folk who do not know what a fresh mackie looks like.

On 18/08/2020 at 19:53, Lloyd90 said:

Wish I knew how to fish 😞 

Hello,, its not rocket science Lloyd , you have the Severn Estuary not far from Bristol so the main consideration is knowing the tides , it can be fun fishing off a pier if they allow this or there are places to fish between Avonmouth and Weston, plenty of info on the web and I use to go in Bristol Angling shop, you do not need to spend to much to get a decent set up, just wash the rod and reel in cold water and when dry WD 40, sand eels were a good bait and feathers for the mackerel 

On 18/08/2020 at 19:53, Lloyd90 said:

Wish I knew how to fish 😞 

Friend of mine has gone from never having fished to becoming addicted, and rather good, in a short time.

Its not as complicated as some would make it out; just know a couple of knots, and have a few diagrams of rig set ups (or just start off lure fishing) and you're off.

Head out with  friend who can show you the ropes, or stick a request on World Sea Fishing forum.