Not long now

m greeny

51 sleeps to go who else is getting a little excited??? Make the most of what we've got while we've got it because if natural England get there way our fowling days are numbered. 2 of the 3 clubs I'm in in my area have yet to receive there consents despite nothing changing and basc are as much use as a chocolate fire guard. 

With such a terrible year so far with covid19 etc, the Natural England consent issue was just what we did not need in wildfowling. With the negotiations and legal challenges very much ongoing, we are at present  in  uncertain times  and all we can do is await development  at this stage.

Other than that  i am looking forward to the season, i have a new Labrador more than ready to go after some productive training the lockdown provided the time for.  I got all my reloading done for the seasom by mid APRIL this year again lockdown time. and this is a far cry from my usual knocking up a dozen rounds on the evening of the 31st of august. I am approaching this season all set to run one gun for everything, "that gun Browning gold 10 with .720 terror choke." .  Ammo i reloaded all in Winchester cases, BBB steel BB Bismuth and loaded mainly for duck  Pure copper 3s 3.5mm and Steel 2s3.81mm. Bismuth and copper are buffered and felt wad.  Powders A 381 / Blue dot / PSB2/ vitavouri 110 and 3N38.

I have some non plaswad loads in the development stage, but not this year unfortunately.

All my Wildfowling so far is unaffected by the Natural England issue, and i have budgeted for 12 not my usual 6 trips up north this year. I never go up there a full week but normally 4 or 5 days which means i will still be busy this season.

I have replaced my ancient POLAR caravan i have under a shed at my uncles in the highlands with a Much posher end kitchen eldis tornado, i dropped on it cheap local with accident damage, but made it sound enough to tow up there and took it up last week, its under a shed so not a factor, a carver and shower. We just got a new microwave the old one is up there, and  i even got 4 big gas cylinders up there ready.

if i sound exited i am, all i can hope for is better fowling weather this season.

I do not have a real reason for going all ten bore this year, i just decided i was going to do this and here we are.

It will be here soon enough now, get august here and that last month flies by, must admit nice to not be rushing about this time, in all some good come of this terrible virus, i just hope we do not end up locked down in phase 2 thats all.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

With such a terrible year so far with covid19 etc, the Natural England consent issue was just what we did not need in wildfowling. With the negotiations and legal challenges very much ongoing, we are at present  in  uncertain times  and all we can do is await development  at this stage.

Other than that  i am looking forward to the season, i have a new Labrador more than ready to go after some productive training the lockdown provided the time for.  I got all my reloading done for the seasom by mid APRIL this year again lockdown time. and this is a far cry from my usual knocking up a dozen rounds on the evening of the 31st of august. I am approaching this season all set to run one gun for everything, "that gun Browning gold 10 with .720 terror choke." .  Ammo i reloaded all in Winchester cases, BBB steel BB Bismuth and loaded mainly for duck  Pure copper 3s 3.5mm and Steel 2s3.81mm. Bismuth and copper are buffered and felt wad.  Powders A 381 / Blue dot / PSB2/ vitavouri 110 and 3N38.

I have some non plaswad loads in the development stage, but not this year unfortunately.

All my Wildfowling so far is unaffected by the Natural England issue, and i have budgeted for 12 not my usual 6 trips up north this year. I never go up there a full week but normally 4 or 5 days which means i will still be busy this season.

I have replaced my ancient POLAR caravan i have under a shed at my uncles in the highlands with a Much posher end kitchen eldis tornado, i dropped on it cheap local with accident damage, but made it sound enough to tow up there and took it up last week, its under a shed so not a factor, a carver and shower. We just got a new microwave the old one is up there, and  i even got 4 big gas cylinders up there ready.

if i sound exited i am, all i can hope for is better fowling weather this season.

I do not have a real reason for going all ten bore this year, i just decided i was going to do this and here we are.

It will be here soon enough now, get august here and that last month flies by, must admit nice to not be rushing about this time, in all some good come of this terrible virus, i just hope we do not end up locked down in phase 2 thats all.

The gold and terror are a great combo. I've enough duck and goose loads loaded for about 5 years due to the lockdown (even though my work carried on as normal  but went into overdrive due to everyone panic buying all bog roll) so may have to strip some if there not used before the ban on plastic wads. I will have to purchase some of the new wads to do some tests so would be interested in your findings with your loads. Fingers crossed N. E get there finger out and sort the consents but I'm not holding my breath. Will be doing a few more trips over the border myself this season if we are allowed over it that is. Good luck with your season and hope the dog makes you proud 

Cheers apreciated. Non plas loads . I have been looking at foil and paper wrappers . Made on a dowel in the chuck of my lathe and the tail stock.

i made a roller off two pieces of dexion on the allen bolts on my tool post. and Tensioned by a bungie cord from the chip tray lip.

i apply carpet adhesive to the foil as its rolling and then after 6 laps, i switch to plotter paper which i glue with flour and water Pase. AKA paper mache the chinese or the japs made armour from it. > it works, and i cut the wads with a UPVC pipe cutter it cuts them like butter and they spring back . secret is keeping things tight and letting it all cure. the paper foil laminate is tough and its not pin holing from what i can tell from picked up wraps. i am using felts 20ga nitro cards and a gas seal "Plastic" and getting good results. the Gas seal will go, but not sure on card inverted cup seals. at high pressures and velocity. I still want to run 1760fps reload i use, and the foil / paper wrap with the felt and gas seal is standing up to this. But card inverted cups are not being found. so not sure. FPS is 100fps down with the card cup seal, so guessing its vaporising internal ballistics wise. New wads could hopefully null and void my playing lets hope so.

Dog is good, we took to one another right from the star. have other dogs, but he is my youngest at present at 3. he had a quiet last season, with just two outings his first year. I think the slow start has helped him, he was a bit headstrong and stubborn. but now he has mellowed and really come on. he is desperate for some action this season, dummy boredom is evident, but i am trying to keep it interesting for him, but running out of ideas now.  I have put more hours into this dog than any other i ever owned, and it seems to be paying off. Time will tell. Lets hope season pans out as we would all like all the best for your season.

23 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I am doing pretty much the opposite of yourself. I will be out trying to get my first pinks with a 20 and a .410. I might even take every gun I have in my cabinets out on the marsh this year. I quite like mixing it up a bit.

I am in no real rush for the season to begin, but having just had around 30 greylags fly past me at Wells, it did make me realise that I miss my goose shooting!

Edited by motty

7 hours ago, motty said:

I am doing pretty much the opposite of yourself. I will be out trying to get my first pinks with a 20 and a .410. I might even take every gun I have in my cabinets out on the marsh this year. I quite like mixing it up a bit.

I am in no real rush for the season to begin, but having just had around 30 greylags fly past me at Wells, it did make me realise that I miss my goose shooting!

I hope you have a good one motty it is coming around quick now, get this next fortnight and to august it will fly.

20s are good i have had a few with them, i actually like 20 bores. I do want to do more with .410. in the fullness of time. but this year with the uncertainty, and lots of ten bore RSI wads to use up i decided to push the boat out and go all ten for wildfowling even ducks.   All the best for the season.

On 12/07/2020 at 10:05, lancer425 said:

I started playing in 10 bore with inverted card cup wads and cup cards for steel (from Claygame), but lockdown put a stop to it. I will pick up again as soon as I know I can get out to pattern. I want to get away from plastic except the cases.

Fingers crossed with the NE situation which fortunately doesn’t affect me. I don’t really start until we get the geese back in numbers early October so a little time to go yet.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I started playing in 10 bore with inverted card cup wads and cup cards for steel (from Claygame), but lockdown put a stop to it. I will pick up again as soon as I know I can get out to pattern. I want to get away from plastic except the cases.

Fingers crossed with the NE situation which fortunately doesn’t affect me. I don’t really start until we get the geese back in numbers early October so a little time to go yet.

Have a little play with my foil card hybrid wad Idea, I only used the lathe because it was there i just turned the chuck by hand. You could use anything.

Your basicaly forming a foil cylinder the lenght of the foil roll, and glueing it untill you get 6 laps, then on to the plotter paper with its flour and water paste glue again 6 laps. Let it all cure about 3 days. and cut it with UPVC pipe cutter / cropper. its strong light and survives well even at speed. I use a 20 ga nitro glued to a 12 ga nitro and then a felt and gue it into the cylinder slieve. it has the 20 nitro as a cup base and the 12 nirto as suport, the felt and obviously a inverted card cup and a nitro or even just a top card then the felt. i used gas seal but only because i have no inverted cup former and not worked out a way to make a better seal yet.

Could be these bio wads get mainstream pretty fast, so i could be wasting my time and why i just loaded RSI wads in the ten for this season. I think in SXs and O/Us i might even look at brass cases for the 12s, get around the plas hull tubes. they are reusable but at some point, the greens are going to claim Quite rightly they will end up in landfill. so brass though not for semi autos pumps etc, could be an option for double / fixed breach guns. .

For the foil section of the wads you are making could you use this ? 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-aluminium-foil-tape-silver-45m-x-75mm/4415V?tc=IB4&ds_kid=92700048793315993&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFtnpyLVHD_ri1d-HvnKm3ypsGY_0W_2v74pKJ_IvSxHBL7PEUgo-YhoCfl0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is adhesive backed so it might save you  having to glue the ones you are doing at the moment

17 minutes ago, aberisle said:

For the foil section of the wads you are making could you use this ? 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-aluminium-foil-tape-silver-45m-x-75mm/4415V?tc=IB4&ds_kid=92700048793315993&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFtnpyLVHD_ri1d-HvnKm3ypsGY_0W_2v74pKJ_IvSxHBL7PEUgo-YhoCfl0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It is adhesive backed so it might save you  having to glue the ones you are doing at the moment

That is a good idea and you would be winding it glue to glue it would be good and solid and way less mess than my carpet adhesive.

Wrap it round and cut it then tape it up with the foil tape and into the plotter paper. but you would be making just the length of the rolls width. look into the varrious widths i supose. Good idea thanks.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Have a little play with my foil card hybrid wad Idea, I only used the lathe because it was there i just turned the chuck by hand. You could use anything.

Your basicaly forming a foil cylinder the lenght of the foil roll, and glueing it untill you get 6 laps, then on to the plotter paper with its flour and water paste glue again 6 laps. Let it all cure about 3 days. and cut it with UPVC pipe cutter / cropper. its strong light and survives well even at speed. I use a 20 ga nitro glued to a 12 ga nitro and then a felt and gue it into the cylinder slieve. it has the 20 nitro as a cup base and the 12 nirto as suport, the felt and obviously a inverted card cup and a nitro or even just a top card then the felt. i used gas seal but only because i have no inverted cup former and not worked out a way to make a better seal yet.

Could be these bio wads get mainstream pretty fast, so i could be wasting my time and why i just loaded RSI wads in the ten for this season. I think in SXs and O/Us i might even look at brass cases for the 12s, get around the plas hull tubes. they are reusable but at some point, the greens are going to claim Quite rightly they will end up in landfill. so brass though not for semi autos pumps etc, could be an option for double / fixed breach guns. .

Thanks. The Claygame 12 bore brass cases are good value but you need to use large pistol primers. I haven’t tried boring out for a standard primer but told you can.

15 hours ago, Big Mat said:

I'd forgotten it was getting close, all the gear was sorted months ago while we couldnt work. Having not used a shotgun since February, i best get out on clays soon!

Get out on the clays before I invite you pigeon shooting!😁