Sneaky clegs

walshie

I took the dog for a walk earlier before it got too warm by an overgrown bit of the river. I knew there was likely to be horseflies down there, so I wrapped up accordingly. Long sleeved shirt, long trousers and a hat.

Didn't work. Ouch. Looks like it might have even got me twice, the sneaky sod.  :cry1:

20200712_102017.jpg.313df0c30f323dd7bbd89259b1c2689c.jpg

Edited by walshie

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

**** that looks nasty. Honestly I think they don't like me, can't ever recall being bitten by anything. Never had a tick either. Wasps on the other hand.... 

Never had a problem with bitty creepy crawlies until this year, had  about 6 horse fly bites so far this summer!

I read last year that it seems that horsefly (clegg) bites are getting more painful, whilst wasp stings less so.  What wasn't clear was why, though I do vaguely remember something about a different strain of horsefly having become more common.  I have been lucky with wasps in that they don't seem to worry me much (painful for an hour or two), but horse flies hurt like hell for days and I get a lot of swelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I got bitten on the calf yesterday but I was just outside my back door so quickly went in, washed it and put antihsitamine cream on the area. 

Today it is slightly pink but not raised or itchy. Don't know if I swatted the cleg off before it had a chance to really get stuck in or the immediate lifesaving medical treatment helped.. 👨‍⚕️

Edited by walshie

Think I got him early as I just have a bb sized lump. He's definitely dead. And the tick, didnt realise what it was so just brushed it off. No bullseye so happy days 

I was going to say I;ve never been bitten by a tick, but look what happened to you when you said it. :lol:

Think I got him early as I just have a bb sized lump. He's definitely dead. And the tick, didnt realise what it was so just brushed it off. No bullseye so happy days 

It is unlikely that it was a tick which had bitten you if you were able to brush it off.

• 1 year later...

A year on and horsefly season is upon us again. Got 2 bites on one elbow, one bite on the other elbow, one on the forearm and one on the top of my foot yesterday. Most are ok but itchy but my forearm has ballooned up so much I had to take my watch off. Piriton and ice packs seem to be taking it down.