Sign in to follow this  
chrisjpainter

Towing capacities

Are the regs different from here to the US or are the cars actually built differently? We've been trying to find the towing capacity for my partner's 2L TDi 4x4 VW Tiguan. Some sites are saying 2200kg, others 2200lb and it seems the American sites are all in pounds, thus stating less than half the towing capacity. We're hoping for a 2200kgs, or else she's already been pulling over the max! The car feels fine with it though, so I'm thinking it's the heavier weight. Anyone got any words of wisdom?

I should think it will be the kgs figure, around two tonnes sounds about right for that car. Parkers guide will have all the figures for that car, including the braked and unbraked towing weights. 

Believe mine was in the log book, as my mates navara can't legally tow as much as a xc90, which shocked us. 

Caravan club say trailer 75% of car weight but can go 1 to 1 with experience. The other thing of concern which you must find is the max draw bar weight for your car. Some cars due to rear suspension design is silly low.

Posted (edited)

As I understand it (and happy to be proved wrong)

Any thing from 1500 to 2800kg depending on the model. have a look on the vin plate it should tell you the weights then its just a case of subtracting one from the other! or it should be but some manufactures don't make it easy and may no give a train weight or will give you a unladened   weight and a GTW so you take the first ad fuel, driver, shopping etc the take that from the GTW. then you might have it but you have to take the gross weight of the trailer in to account, your car may be 1800kg and have a GTW of say 4500kg but if your trailer is rated at a gross weigth of 3500kg you cant tow it even with nothing in it because the gross permissible weights don't and up!

Hope that helps 🙂

Clear as mud I know 🤪  

Take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHnZFwWH-8 I know its aussy bit it will give you an idea of what you need to know and how to work things out and his videos are funny

Edited by bluesj

find the vin plate under the bonnet !

Looks similar to  this

321503_orig.jpg

1st line (1980kg) Mass vehicle weight

2nd line (3280kg) Max combined  tow weight

3/4 lines max axle weights

subtract  1980 from 3280 gives  1300kg tow weight

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Are the regs different from here to the US or are the cars actually built differently?

Yes, European type approval is radically different from US DoT requirements

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

We've been trying to find the towing capacity for my partner's 2L TDi 4x4 VW Tiguan

You don't state what vintage it is, but http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/volkswagen/volkswagen-tiguan/ appears to be pretty exhaustive.  I'd surprised if something based on a passat has anything like a 2 Te tow capacity.

If you don't trust that source, look at your V5 (logbook),  2nd page, top right, section O.

If that's blank, to avoid any doubt, speak to your local VW dealer, and quote the VIN at them.  Whilst you're at it,  get the max permissable down force on the towball and load your trailer appropriately.  

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes, European type approval is radically different from US DoT requirements

You don't state what vintage it is, but http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car-make-model/volkswagen/volkswagen-tiguan/ appears to be pretty exhaustive.  I'd surprised if something based on a passat has anything like a 2 Te tow capacity.

If you don't trust that source, look at your V5 (logbook),  2nd page, top right, section O.

If that's blank, to avoid any doubt, speak to your local VW dealer, and quote the VIN at them.  Whilst you're at it,  get the max permissable down force on the towball and load your trailer appropriately.  

Boom. Well played, sir, well played indeed. Towing of 2200kg. That agreed with towingcapacity.co.uk, which was pleasing.

Thanks, chaps. Question answered! Pigeonwatch wins again. 

I have just checked v5 for our two vehicles.

2009 Defender states 3500kg as I expected.

2017 Discovery Sport is left blank, no towing weight stated. 
I wonder if the practice has been dropped, given the difference in age of these examples?

Don’t you just take the two weights away from each other on the door plate, what is left is ya towing limit 

I always remember my ex army series III Landrover: 2 tonnes unbraked, 4 tonnes braked !