extended chokes

ab28

You can screw them in and out with a cheap webbing oil fillter removing tool. and a ratchet. You can make a leather one and wrap it on to itself they will undo like that with nothing more than a pair of mole grips to grab the leather. no damage because its just the strap around the tube no crushing or scuffing from and grips etc.

thanks for your coments, very helpful. the choke that gets loose has no slots for the key.

i just found a tube of copper multi purpose grease for disc brakes, i guess that a spot of that wont hurt.

i will make a removing tool shortly.

alan 

I've found that 'Copaslip' grease which is used on exhaust studs etc on cars is great for helping chokes stay tight and being intended for ultra high temperature applications it is ideally suited to the task and has a certain 'stiction', a resistance to working loose quite as quickly as normal grease compounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOLYSLIP-COPASLIP-Temperature-Anti-Seize-Grease/dp/B07PVFH2PP

You can screw them in and out with a cheap webbing oil fillter removing tool. and a ratchet. You can make a leather one and wrap it on to itself they will undo like that with nothing more than a pair of mole grips to grab the leather. no damage because its just the strap around the tube no crushing or scuffing from and grips etc.

There have been a number of sensible options to solve the loose choke issue. Then there is this one. There are a few reservations:-

1. Using a ratchet and oil filter strap - far too agricultural and oil filter straps are made for a larger tube. I would question the grip.

2. Leather and mole grips - despite the suggestion they will do no damage, you would run the risk of deforming the tube.

3. Rather than carry a small tapered key, specifically made for the job, you could carry an oil filter wrench, a ratchet, a leather strap and a pair or Mole grips. Perhaps you could store them in a top box or roll cabinet, to lug around. 😄

Classic. 

18 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

I've found that 'Copaslip' grease which is used on exhaust studs etc on cars is great for helping chokes stay tight and being intended for ultra high temperature applications it is ideally suited to the task and has a certain 'stiction', a resistance to working loose quite as quickly as normal grease compounds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOLYSLIP-COPASLIP-Temperature-Anti-Seize-Grease/dp/B07PVFH2PP

Any kind of grease stops them rattling loose