Affordable Steel (Plastic-Free)

I don't think this has been covered in the other threads on steel yet, apologies if so. JustCartridges now stock the Jocker and BioAmmo steel loads with non-plastic wads. Jocker seems to use a paper shotcup and BioAmmo is a similar set-up to Eley Pro Eco. What interested me was some of the prices, which were a lot more realistic than anything else I've seen. Jocker BioSteel Game 32g 4 are £99 per slab or £349/1000 which is about £8.70 a box. Same brand do a 21g steel clay load with paper wad for £56/slab or £196/1000. BioAmmo Lux Steel 32g 3 or 5 is apparently £387/thou (these have a biodegradable case as well), that's a little cost more than Eley.

It's interesting that quite quickly since everything kicked off in February, the market actually does seem to be providing increasingly viable alternatives. Price is a significant factor in deciding whether to give them a try so this could definitely encourage uptake and makes you think what other advances might be out by this time next year. People can at least give them a go to see if they're effective for the shooting that they do. This isn't taking a stance on steel either way, more pointing out that the necessary technology for plastic-free steel loads is perhaps more varied and prevalent than previously suggested to us...

I shoot steel excluvsively for clays and pigeons using 28 gram 7s costing £186.00 per thousand and heavier loads for duck £220.00.

At a difference of £163.00 i dont think i will change. I know i could use the 21 grams and still cost the same.

Just cartridges charge £15.00 per thousand delivery and as i shoot on average 10,000.00 its definately a no from me.

Hopefully market forces and the economy of scale will bring the prices down. We are still only just getting started on steel/biodegradable wads for mainstream in any meaningful and is a marked improvement from "it can't be done in 5 years" trotted out not so long ago.  Mind you, if there's an opportunity for an extra quid or two to be made the cartridge companies do seem to be all over it.

17 minutes ago, Manish said:

It then raises the question is homeloading steel worth it??

Always worth it not only do you get a better performing load you get what you want exactly, without compromise. and you can taylor the load for your gun your needs and your prefered performance level. We are restricted here by CIP which might or might not change. but reloads are what you want to make them.

cost savings are not the big thing with reloading, even though say for pigeons or even close waterfowl you can use Indicast shot Labeled S7 which is approximately 2.8mm 5/6 £45 + vat for 28KGs bag . Use CSB5 powder B&P wads at moment and you on for cheaper shooting than you can buy.

start buying from claygame etc. your going to save little if anything, but with the often unconsidered advantages if you vallue them reloading is the way to go. I shoot little else but reloads have done this for years.

2 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Decent set of scales then your off. Just do some duck loads to start with use old clay ground once fireds and order you wads etc in and away you go.

where do you get your indicast shot and powder from mate??

1 minute ago, Manish said:

where do you get your indicast shot and powder from mate??

I got 100KGs a few years ago from MCANTS near dinnington. they have been bought out called C**** now, just type in steel shot abrassives many will sell you S7 its slightly harder than soft iron at around the 110/ 115 DPh. but its not a problem re pressures etc.

16 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I got 100KGs a few years ago from MCANTS near dinnington. they have been bought out called C**** now, just type in steel shot abrassives many will sell you S7 its slightly harder than soft iron at around the 110/ 115 DPh. but its not a problem re pressures etc.

Champion

To explain why i term s7 grit blast shot indicast. probably 10/ 15 years ago in the states, i think it was precision sold cheap  indicast shot as they labelled it, i was told from a souse i respected when he was alive, it was just grit blast s7 etc, so i tend to term it as INDICAST. just saying.

I just bought a slab of bio sport iso 's to try Sunday if the press write up are anything to go by got to be worth a go ...£45 a slab not bad price either ..

I also bought them with a  sim day in mind as you can happily shoot them anywhere even sssi's theres no worries as the cup wad is made from card and cork...

20200716_215026.jpg

20200716_215054.jpg

Edited by gamekeeper1960

I already think joker are an awesome, cheap cartridge, used them for some time now. I hope they work out such a simple solution to a problem. Its a bit like the space race back in the day, the Americans spent millions on creating a pen that worked in zero gravity the Russians took a pencil, bio degradable plastic and all that malarkey, paper and cork eh?    

6 hours ago, Mr gen said:

I already think joker are an awesome, cheap cartridge, used them for some time now. I hope they work out such a simple solution to a problem. Its a bit like the space race back in the day, the Americans spent millions on creating a pen that worked in zero gravity the Russians took a pencil, bio degradable plastic and all that malarkey, paper and cork eh?    

The yanks always do take a sledgehammer to crack a nut.....simple ideas often work. ....👍

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

I would like to shoot steel as shooting loads of lead seems wrong. Two of the grounds I used to go to didn’t allow steel, one said it was dangerous due to ricochets.

Is steel allowed everywhere now?

Don't know about everywhere but unless you are shooting at the ground in don't see how their stand point is on that one...