I reload cheap "practice" rounds for the 223 and the 30-06 using PPU brass and bullets and cheap murom primers, the powder is thrown rather than being individually weighed and it shoots roughly MOA out to 300 yards (haven't tried it further)

I have used PPU brass in preference to any other for 10 years or more for reloading, 308,243 and 223. Very few issues, hardly any have suffered with neck splits and I am not overly fussy with annealing or cleaning the cases. I also full length size each case and crimp each cartridge.

I also use murom primers and buy them 3 or 4000 at a time both small and large so that takes care of batch differences, not that I have found any perceived differences as I retain all my shot targets when testing.

I also purchase vast amounts of PPU bullets and they work just fine as a bread and butter bullet. When going onto live quarry I use Hornady SST or Sierra game as they do have the accuracy edge, but as in life you get what you pay for.

Use with confidence I say, most of my reloading pals do the same with 222 and 30-06.

Edited by Flyboy1950
Spelling

5 hours ago, moor man said:

only one way to find out....   

Have you tried PPU fmj factory rounds?

They are cheap enough to try a box or two, different weights. Anything from £12 to £16 a box!

What range you shooting out to?

Shooting out to 600 yards eventually when the range is open. I've used PPU ammunition a few times and it's been okay. I only want to try 168gr to see how the rifle handles the weight, then I'm going to start working on a reload for it.

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Shooting out to 600 yards eventually when the range is open. I've used PPU ammunition a few times and it's been okay. I only want to try 168gr to see how the rifle handles the weight, then I'm going to start working on a reload for it.

40 grn Vhit N140  168 grn HPBT Sierra or PPU Match is the standard load. You won't go far wrong with that

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

40 grn Vhit N140  168 grn HPBT Sierra or PPU Match is the standard load. You won't go far wrong with that

I've got a few tubs of H4895 which I use for other calibres. I'm going to try working a good load which according to Hodgdon Data is between 39 -43grn. 

5 hours ago, moor man said:

what length and twist on your barrel?

What powder will you use?

I'm still developing a load for my 1:12 23.5" barrel, vit 150, rws brass, various weights 150-200 grain. Its just for woodland stalking. At some point I will try hardcast bullets too.

20200124_095047.jpg

The barrel length is 26" but I'm not sure what the twist rate is. The rifle is a Howa 1500. I'm going to try H4895 first as I've got a few tubs of it.

Let me know how you get on Steve at half the price I'd be interested in what sort of accuracy you'd be getting. 

I have a 27" heavy barrel with 1-12 and 155 Matchkings are my usual brand in ppu brass over RS50. (7.62)

Edited by Mr.C

5 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Let me know how you get on Steve at half the price I'd be interested in what sort of accuracy you'd be getting. 

I have a 27" heavy barrel with 1-12 and 155 Matchkings are my usual brand in ppu brass over RS50. (7.62)

I certainly will. I haven't had the rifle yet, it's on it's way to my RFD friend. I don't think there'll be any problems using PPU bullets.

7 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The barrel length is 26" but I'm not sure what the twist rate is. The rifle is a Howa 1500.

1:10, If memory serves.

I've used GGG 168grn .308 match in my 1500 26" heavy barrel, it liked them. I've now got some of GGG 155grn 7.62 match to try, these are much cheaper and what our club mainly use for factory ammo. Hopefully my 1500 likes them as well :good:

Good luck finding a load that suits.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

1:10, If memory serves.

I've used GGG 168grn .308 match in my 1500 26" heavy barrel, it liked them. I've now got some of GGG 155grn 7.62 match to try, these are much cheaper and what our club mainly use for factory ammo. Hopefully my 1500 likes them as well :good:

Good luck finding a load that suits.

Cheers. 

A couple of other loads to put in your notebook

12 grns Unique and 145grn PPU bullet. Plink all day at 100 yds

16-24 Grains Alliant 2400 and any reasonable bullet. 200 yds plinker and good for foxes and small deer at short range

sometimes you just need to do a bit of plinking, you cant do the serious stuff all the time

On 14/07/2020 at 07:43, Vince Green said:

I've also got an almost full tub of Viht 150 which, according to their data, can be used for a 168gr bullet. I might reload a few and see what they are like.

I've just received the 100 (HPBT) PPU bullets from Henry Krank. I weighed 20 and got a variation in weight between 168.6 to 169.2. I don't think there will be a problem with them. I'm going to reload some and see what performs best in my rifle, which I'm picking up on Friday.😀

20 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Busy weekend hopefully 

I'm working tonight/tomorrow night, then straight up to my RFD friend to pick up my rifle package. I'll probably do a few reloads Friday afternoon (I've been trying to get hold of some PPU ammunition) and will (hopefully) pop up the farm on Saturday to zero the scope and test the reloads.