RFD - RFD

My rifle package is now ready to be sent to my RFD friend. However, the RFD I'm buying it off has now stated that he needs my licence to enter the details onto it, before he sends it to my RFD friend. I know this has been a grey area for a long time. Pity they hadn't thought of informing me 4 days ago when they had the rifle!

Edited by steve_b_wales

19 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

as I understand it the initial transaction is between the two RFDs. Then your RFD enters in on your FAC when it arrives. The selling RFD cannot enter it on your FAC because the transaction is not face to face.

That is what has always happened in the past Vince. But now, the RFD will not send the rifle to the other RFD without seeing, and entering the details on my FAC. 

Worth a read:

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/08/REMOTE-FIREARMS-TRANSACTIONS2.pdf

Pretty sure he's right - you need to send your ticket, recorded delivery, the seller then puts the gun on it and returns your ticket to you - then sends the gun to your RFD - he will only then release the gun when he see's your ticket.It's all to make life simple and easy for us.....apart from the risk of the PO losing your licence and the inevitable delays with snailmail.

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Pretty sure he's right - you need to send your ticket, recorded delivery, the seller then puts the gun on it and returns your ticket to you - then sends the gun to your RFD - he will only then release the gun when he see's your ticket.It's all to make life simple and easy for us.....apart from the risk of the PO losing your licence and the inevitable delays with snailmail.

Very risky doing things like that. I put my licence in the post once and it ended up being sent back to the police and not to me for some reason. The ####ing I got for that was rather severe because they looked at it that I had compromised my security by posting it, they said anyone could have accessed that, seen my address with the lovely pew pews and stolen them whilst I was out.

Don't RFDs trade guns between themselves all the time? All they would need to do is buy the gun from that RFD then you pay your own RFD when he receives the gun?

Some wrong info above

YOU buy a gun from someone, YOUR contract is with the SELLER not a third party.
It was ALWAYS the case that when you bought a gun you sent your certificate to the seller - they fill in the certificate & return it direct to you.
Did this many times without an issue back when I used to receive new handguns in the regular post...
More recent misinterpretation of the rules did suggest that the receiving RFD filled in the certificate; folk accepted this error as it was a lot easier & closer to "common sense" = since when did common sense have any part in firearms legislation?

27 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Very risky doing things like that. I put my licence in the post once and it ended up being sent back to the police and not to me for some reason. The ####ing I got for that was rather severe because they looked at it that I had compromised my security by posting it, they said anyone could have accessed that, seen my address with the lovely pew pews and stolen them whilst I was out.

Don't RFDs trade guns between themselves all the time? All they would need to do is buy the gun from that RFD then you pay your own RFD when he receives the gun?

Wow! I can't believe that for the forty-four years that I've held an FAC (since 1976) that the police themselves have been compromising my security by posting it out to me on renewal or on variation. Or maybe they have a weekly self telling off session down at your Licensing Manager's office?

Don't RFDs trade gun between themselves all the time? Yes. But here they aren't trading between themselves are they. They are having RFD B offer a means for an FAC holder to collect "face to face" a rifle that that FAC holder has bought from RFD A "at distance".

So on what you suggest that RFD A sells it to RFD B who then sells it to the FAC holder what happens if the rifle goes wrong? The FAC holder's contract isn't with RFD A it is with RFD B. And if RFD B sends money to RFD A and then when the gun arrives the FAC holder decides they don't want it? What then?

The law is clear. The law is simple. If people don't like it then don't buy guns "at distance".

13 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Im sending the RFD by certificate by registered post later today, and have asked them to return it with the rifle I'm buying from them, to my RFD friend. It think its safer than way.

Not sure its a good idea to have your FAC/SGC sent to the RFD in the same package as the gun - if one box goes astray you lose both - I've seen more than a few guns get lost in the mail, not heard of any tickets going astray though

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Wow! I can't believe that for the forty-four years that I've held an FAC (since 1976) that the police themselves have been compromising my security by posting it out to me on renewal or on variation.

My licensing department use 2nd class post so aren't too worried about length of time in the postal system. 

I went through this last year , this is the way it should have always been done , it just wasnt but now the police are enforcing it , cant really see a problem , the old way was easier but thats not to be anymore just send your cert by special delivery / registered post and get the seller to send it back the same way 

i would say the same as saddler , get your cert sent back seperatley from the gun

Personally, I just cannot believe that anyone would buy a gun, unseen, at distance, at all. 
Myself, if I wanted the item badly enough I would get in the car and drive ( from S. Wales to Edinburgh if necessary) to fetch it and see it before I bought it.

Just my take on it.

I recently purchased a gun from a private seller.

I sent my licence,first class recorded to the seller.He filled it in and returned it,recorded The gun was taken to his rfd and sent to my rfd.

I collected it from the rfd and showed my licence.

A painless transaction.

Edited by flyeruk

28 minutes ago, London Best said:

Personally, I just cannot believe that anyone would buy a gun, unseen, at distance, at all. 
Myself, if I wanted the item badly enough I would get in the car and drive ( from S. Wales to Edinburgh if necessary) to fetch it and see it before I bought it.

Just my take on it.

Depends on what your buying and cost, I have done it on a number of occasions and would say so far no bad experience, would I buy a £10k H&H unseen, probably not!

38 minutes ago, London Best said:

Personally, I just cannot believe that anyone would buy a gun, unseen, at distance, at all

Just my take on it.

Mine in brand new.