Sporting Shotgun

chrislightning

So I'm starting to do more Sporting Clay shooting than I ever have (it'll never take over my pigeon shooting!) but I live a short drive from Oakedge, West Mids and Dove-ridge so its becoming more of a habit than I expected and I'm enjoying it more and more. So much so I've decided to buy a dedicated clay gun, I've been using my 425 until now. I like the look of the new 694 and liked the feel of it. I've also read some very good reviews on it. Firstly has anyone got one that can advise? Secondly can anyone offer any other good options?

I'd like something reliable, good looking (nice piece of wood) budget is up to a maximum of £3500.

Thanks In advance.

Chris

5 hours ago, chrislightning said:

I like the look of the new 694 and liked the feel of it. I've also read some very good reviews on it. Firstly has anyone got one that can advise? Secondly can anyone offer any other good options?

I'd like something reliable, good looking (nice piece of wood) budget is up to a maximum of £3500.

You'll never see a bad review on any gun, especially Berettas as they spend a lot on advertising, so only go by personal experience. I don't get on well with Berettas and I found the 692 and 690 particularly horrible so I doubt the 694 would impress me much.

With that budget I'd find it hard to ignore the CG Invictus. In fact it would be either that or Blaser F16 sporter.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

If you’re shooting well with the 425, why do you want a Beretta? Wouldn’t it make much more sense to stick with Browning, such as a Pro-Sport? 

I think I'll probably have a look at the Pro-Sports well. Thanks for the Advice. Hmmmm I would never say I shoot well! But I understand your point entirely. 

Thanks

6 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

I shoot a miroku mk38 32" teague for clays. With your money, you could get a brand new grade 5 one and a 1000 cartridges. 

That said, I tried a blaser f3 once and really liked it so if you get the chance, have a go with one of them. 

I do fancy having a look at the Blaser F16 so ill add this to list too thanks. 

Cheers

+1 for taking a look at a Blaser.

Have recently come to own a Blaser (a 5 year old F3 Vantage) for the 1st time I have to say that the quality of the gun, the finishing with no sharp edges on the ejectors etc is beyond reproach - tangibly better even than my Perazzi at 3x the price.  Blaser approach the manufacturing standards topic from a different angle so there is huge interchangeability of components with an ability to upgrade to the latest internals as part of routine servicing if you so desire.

A nice used Browning Crown would be a nice all round gun with good wood and nice engraving.

As a clay gun the new Yildiz Sporter is hard to beat for around £1700.00 a copy of a Perrazi.

The CG Invictus is a dedicated clay buster than can be set up to fit you being fully adjustable.

Friends have them and love them. I'd rather have a nice DT10 

Edited by figgy

11 hours ago, figgy said:

A nice used Browning Crown would be a nice all round gun with good wood and nice engraving.

As a clay gun the new Yildiz Sporter is hard to beat for around £1700.00 a copy of a Perrazi.

The CG Invictus is a dedicated clay buster than can be set up to fit you being fully adjustable.

Friends have them and love them. I'd rather have a nice DT10 

Hi Figgy

Have you looked at the Yildiz? I am very interested in looking at one as a game gun but none of the shops round here have any in

Certainly looks good in the pictures

Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you have

Atb

B

14 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Try as many as you can ........... and a clear winner may emerge.

+1 don’t just handle them in a gun shop get to shoot them, I would also stay away from adjustable stocks get the gun fitted I once had a Browning with a adjustable stock what a nightmare it kept on working loose all the time.

37 minutes ago, button said:

Hi Figgy

Have you looked at the Yildiz? I am very interested in looking at one as a game gun but none of the shops round here have any in

Atb

B

Hello, which model are you looking at ? Where are you in UK ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

18 hours ago, sam triple said:

Bought a Blaser F16 beginning of the year managed to get it out twice after lockdown ended and the shoot opened up again , shoot better with it ( so far) than my 686e that I’ve had for about 8 years , see if you can take one out for a try 

I purchased an ex demo Blaser f16 Sporter last season - I shot the tail end of last seasons game days with it, and I clicked with it straight away.

Its got stunning grade 5 wood too. It just seems to fit me better than anything I have ever owned, and I've been around nearly 60 years. Its just so pointable and you feel as though you are never going to miss with it.

if your doing a bit of walked up shooting it may not suit your needs - but for driven game and sporting clays I cant fault it. When I purchased the Blaser they set up the stock weights to suit my shooting style - who knows whether that has enhanced my experience or not.

Edited by Bungle The Bear

9 hours ago, button said:

Hi Figgy

Atb

B

My mate bought the Prosport version very very nice gun. If I wanted a new over and under to use as both clay and game i would buy one.

Edited by figgy