Wonderful Webley

arjimlad

Popped out for a look at some freshly cut rape fields, hid in the hedge under a sitty tree with my .410. 

Five shell decoys, no hide and managed five plus a bonus bunny who ambled past. The little .410 was great fun and I dropped a crosser going away at a fair distance 😁

IMG_20200714_195013_039.jpg

well done .......i still have my webley b/a from the day i bought it when i was 14..........killed some rabbits and pigeons with it ..i can tell you

the smell of the old paper cased eley furlongs when fired off ....MMMmmmmmmmm

Thanks - I haven't had the Greener experience yet although I have fired a SMLE in .410.  

I wonder about getting myself a double barrelled 3" .410 one day, but the Webley is such good fun. Having just the one shot makes for precision shooting and 12.5g of no7 seems to do the business within sensible ranges. 

.410 definitely has a bit of magic for me, there is just something nice about carrying a light gun and a pocket full of cartridges around my permission.  Dont have a Webley but find myself pulling out my sons Yildiz OU and sticking on a rubber stock extender quite often.  Lovely little gun and have dropped some good range pigeons with it and also the odd squirrel.

You got me looking on Guntrader now for a bolt action! 

Edited by Wingman

On 15 July 2020 at 10:36, enfieldspares said:

At sometime in their shooting lifetime everyone should own, or have at least used and tried, a Webley .410 and a Greener GP. 

Never aspired to a b.a Webley but I did get plenty of use out of the ubiquitous Belgian folding .410 with the boxes of Fourlong cartridges bought from the local hardware shop. Stalking rabbits from the age of eleven taught me my fair share of field craft. Selling the rabbits for 3 bob each (15p to our younger members) kept me in cartridges. Happy days.

OB

On 20/07/2020 at 08:02, Old Boggy said:

Never aspired to a b.a Webley but I did get plenty of use out of the ubiquitous Belgian folding .410 with the boxes of Fourlong cartridges bought from the local hardware shop. Stalking rabbits from the age of eleven taught me my fair share of field craft. Selling the rabbits for 3 bob each (15p to our younger members) kept me in cartridges. Happy days.

OB

if you took the front sight off a piece of copper tube drilled with loads of holes in it... would slip on nice then fill up a mustard (colmans) tin full of old used brillo pads push it over the copper pipe and get yer mate to solder it up.............then go and poach some pheasants............3 pheasants could keep me in fags and petrol for my bike for a week or so..........

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you took the front sight off a piece of copper tube drilled with loads of holes in it... would slip on nice then fill up a mustard (colmans) tin full of old used brillo pads push it over the copper pipe and get yer mate to solder it up.............then go and poach some pheasants............3 pheasants could keep me in fags and petrol for my bike for a week or so..........

My silencer consisted of a short length of rubber tubing pushed over the end of the barrel.

Probably not as effective as yours but got me a few rabbits in places that I shouldn't have been.

Pheasants were a rarity in our parts. English partridges were common though.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

You lived in a bygone era when selling three longtails would keep you in baccy and petrol for your bike for a week , now taken the expense of the 410 cartridges out and any petrol used to where you done your bit of poaching you would already be out of pocket , if you were very lucky and got a good price you could end up with a packet of Rizla fag papers :lol:

Mind you , they did pay decent money around here for game , my younger brother lived near Wisbech and would buy a load of Pheasants up there and flog them to Pettitts of Reedham and make enough to cover his fuel when he came back down here to see the family .

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I use to get 2 bob for a rabbit I shot with my old 410, those days in the 1960s seem so far away now 

You were done. The going rate here in the 60s was 3 bob from the local butcher. 

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, oh well I always charged 2 bob, cannot give them away now 🤔

You could try mincing up any surplus if you have a decent mincer and selling as raw cat food. Our cats preferred food is fresh rabbit (she will catch her own if we do not give her any)and she loves it minced to the exclusion of everything else when it is available. Some folk will pay silly £ for their pets food.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

You could try mincing up any surplus if you have a decent mincer and selling as raw cat food. Our cats preferred food is fresh rabbit (she will catch her own if we do not give her any)and she loves it minced to the exclusion of everything else when it is available. Some folk will pay silly £ for their pets food.

Hello, thanks but that's not something I would consider, cheers

On 07/08/2020 at 09:00, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I use to get 2 bob for a rabbit I shot with my old 410, those days in the 1960s seem so far away now 

1/2d for 10 No 6....and the rest for a pint and a packet of crisps...........not bad for 1 bloody old rabbit............cant remember what i got for pheasants i used to sell to Elsogoods the butcher in pot row near kings lynn....but it was a lot of money

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

1/2d for 10 No 6....and the rest for a pint and a packet of crisps...........not bad for 1 bloody old rabbit............cant remember what i got for pheasants i used to sell to Elsogoods the butcher in pot row near kings lynn....but it was a lot of money

Hello, those were the good old days Simon😁, I shot 4 last night with the CZ 22, red kites or foxy breakfast ! !

Can’t beat a 410 session! I’ve popped out twice recently just for a couple of hours each time with my yilditz o/u. Pocket of carts, seat, and just made a hide the old fashioned way, no nets just cut a few sprigs. Dropped a couple and used them as decoys on a hazel stick. Had several left and rights, and dropped many at 40 yards and a bit more. Full and 3/4 choke, 18grm 6/7 home loaded. Great times, no whirlies, batteries, flappers, just how it used to be!

D94A5EC8-CF46-4A10-888A-DB1DEE5960F4.jpeg

C55E2C7F-F3BA-4643-9BBA-045D612F3130.jpeg

DD04B579-889D-45FC-9244-CC382DE23E4F.jpeg

A3BB3119-672F-4952-8BC1-08C8293BBE8F.jpeg

2B8B8A45-19FA-43DA-AECC-7AE9561651FF.jpeg

A556AFA9-9567-4552-A9C8-DA7C58B03D4E.jpeg

Edited by turbo33