Shooting in Standing Crops

Morning Chaps,

Am I the only one who does not like to see shooters shooting over standing crops without a dog to retrieve the birds ?

Yesterday I was going to one of my perms for some  shooting over standing Rape.

When I arrived someone had beaten me to it,no problem as I have other perms,I thought that I would watch for 30 mins or so and they dropped 5 birds between them,but they never sent a dog to retrieve the dead birds nor did they retieve them thereselves.I continued to watch and they shot another 3 birds,8 in total with no picking.

Being nosey I went for a walk over to them and it transpired that I knew one of them,so we had a chat and I mentioned that they never had a dog to find the shot birds,they said that they visually mark where the birds drop and pick them when they finish ?? As if....

Suppose they wing a bird its not going to sit there and wait to be picked.

Thats not my idea of sport.....

Rant over...

Depends what crop it is I suppose. Farmers don’t take kindly to dogs or people thrashing about in barley or wheat. 
I have been shooting corvids ( with the occasional pigeon dropping by) on three separate days over the last week or so, over barley. They’re all just left where they drop unless I can get to them without trampling the crop. I haven’t taken my dog for this very reason. 

I don't normally shoot over standing crop unless it is really getting a hammering because I don't want to add to the damage. also having dogs running all day through short barley is pretty rough on them. Let some good looking day over uncut rape go bye last year as I didn't think I could retrieve all the birds.    

Are we talking standing or laid crops.

Im currently shooting over laid crops by request from two farmers.

one is laid so much that only the tram lines are standing.

ive asked both owners will they still be able to harvest laid barley.

Yes from both.

I use 3 dogs at times and no complaints.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I have been shooting corvids ( with the occasional pigeon dropping by) on three separate days over the last week or so, over barley. They’re all just left where they drop unless I can get to them without trampling the crop.

Won't they just end up in the combine?  Normally you could rely on a fox or badger to 'clear up after you' for any birds you really can't find, but even they don't go through tall barley surely?

Genuine question as neither of my perms are arable so little experience shooting over crops.

15 minutes ago, clangerman said:

walking about in standing crops is just asking the farmer to show you the door don’t do it simple as 

Was the advice I was given too.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Won't they just end up in the combine?  Normally you could rely on a fox or badger to 'clear up after you' for any birds you really can't find, but even they don't go through tall barley surely?

Genuine question as neither of my perms are arable so little experience shooting over crops.

Not a problem according to the farmers on whose land I shoot. 
I sometimes shoot bolting bunnies as I walk alongside the combine, and nothing bigger than a grain of barley goes through the combine. 

Depends on what the farmer wants , I had a call at weekend to shoot over a laid patch in some wheat. I shot 229 but could only pick half of them , I explained this to the farmer and he was fine with this saying you will do more harm trapsing about trying to pick birds. He was happy that the birds were shot and kept off the crop.

On 15/07/2020 at 08:06, Scully said:

Depends what crop it is I suppose. Farmers don’t take kindly to dogs or people thrashing about in barley or wheat. 
I have been shooting corvids ( with the occasional pigeon dropping by) on three separate days over the last week or so, over barley. They’re all just left where they drop unless I can get to them without trampling the crop. I haven’t taken my dog for this very reason. 

This.

I would be furious if I caught someone or their dog stomping about in my standing crops this time of the year.