Flapper attacked by peregrine (and other raptors)

Fellside

While using a pigeon flapper last year (a device I much favour these days), a large peregrine, presumably female, stooped from a great height and gave the mounted dead pigeon a glancing blow. Despite my waving and shouting it repeated this attack twice more without actually touching it - but only inches off. It seems that once they are locked on to their prey, no amount of distraction deters the attack. 

While I was thrilled to witness such a spectacular display, I was concerned that the bird could have become wounded by striking the Flapper’s metalwork - and was relieved when it left. After the first stoop, I had switched the flapper off by the way.

This reoccurred once more last year. Then a couple of days ago, a friend of mine had just harvested pre-ripened barley for crimping and was suffering significant laid crop damage in the adjacent field. I set up on the stubble - close to a laid patch in the standing crop - with my usual decoy assortment and flapper. Soon I noticed a peregrine wheeling and then sure enough she flicked through a turn and stopped with astonishing speed. This time I was quick to press the ‘off button’ and she didn’t touch the pigeon - but was very close. She recovered from the stoop by lifting only a few feet in front of me. I enjoyed a close up of her underside and face as she ripped through the air - marvellous. As before, she made two more aborted stoops before wandering off. 

Over the years I have also had the flapper attacked by buzzards - although never actually touching it. Although I did have a sparrow hawk once land on a plastic shell back decoy - and I could actually hear its claws scratching at the plastic as it turned about trying to sink it’s talons. This one darted away and didn’t make any repeated attempts. Had it landed on one of the many real pigeon decoys arranged about it, my visitor would have enjoyed a tasty meal. 

Are these bird of prey attacks unusual? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Had a buzzard fly over a plastic floater and "tickle" its back with its talons. Flew into the wind at walking pace almost as it did so. I have that somewhere on video I think. 

Had another bird hit a shot bird used as a decoy,  at speed and then start eating it till waved off. I didn't want it ingesting lead. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Interesting that buzzard attacks are being seen.  I have noticed that if a pricked pigeon drops in near by woodland - it sometimes has the head  missing and breast ripped open by a buzzard when I go to pick it.

I might start leaving a few steel shot birds lying around - as an offering to keep them off the pheasants for a while....?!

I have just had the same thing this afternoon with a buzzard on the flapper. 

Rather than drop down onto it as I have seen a few times, this one swooped over the hill behind me and hit it at speed. I heard the whoosh and turned to see it knock the lot over. 

Raptors are looking for small groups of pigeons on the deck. Woodies are heading back to where they have just fed. They are looking for different things really. Even if you put out lots of freshly killed birds in the perfect pattern with every flapper, rotary and bouncer the woodies will not come in. If they are feeding on a field all you need is a couple of bottles painted grey and they’ll commit. The quality of decoys is to attract people to buy them rather than pigeons to land! 

3 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Have had it with a buzzard on crows, dropped a crow and within 5 seconds it had been picked up and flown off with. 

Then out one evening on fox, waited 2hours with no show so dropped a rabbit for the pot and just after it dropped the fox jumped out the hedge and took the rabbit. 

:lol: I have taken to dropping a few rabbits and leaving them out for fox as I look elsewhere. Often they are gone when I return but I dont see the fox. I should peg them I guess.