Banksy

The Heron

Good job we all see art, artists, the arts and freedom of expression differently! Just graffiti to some, clever observation, message and entertainment to others He can deface my place if he want. I would be sell'n tickets or flog it. 😉 Loved the pic he done with timer/remote in it that shredded  after going for big bucks at auction. Proper middle finger to the art establishment.    NB 

I think his art is often a great social comment and entertaining.
Not sure he was wise to choose the inside of a train, or any other inside "canvas".

Graffiti is the unintelligible symbols , or mixed letters (I believe they are tags), that deface property, there is nothing pleasant about those.

34 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I think his art is often a great social comment and entertaining.
Not sure he was wise to choose the inside of a train, or any other inside "canvas".

Graffiti is the unintelligible symbols , or mixed letters (I believe they are tags), that deface property, there is nothing pleasant about those.

Yeah I like quite a few of his pieces. I have a T-shirt with this on it.

0-Banksy-Pulp-Fiction-Star-Wars-Wall-Mur

I would define it as graffiti art. As you say, regular graffiti is just scrawl. Banksy is far more than that.

20 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

All his artworks 'deface' what ever canvas he chose, be it a wall a train etc, but his artwork pulls in the crowds. His dismaland attraction in WSM bought huge revenue in. 

Dismaland was far more that graffiti though with its large structures it was well worth a visit.

He has promoted the act of "Tagging" or spraying trains etc with spray paint, its a day of that train out of service and thus having a huge impact on what the general public report as a poor enough public transport service as it is. Its not only about the removal of the graffiti, having that set out of service has an impact on the planned service of other sets in that fleet, also time taken to removed the graffiti is time taken away from other areas. 

Art on canvas OK but not on public property. 

He is certainly a talented artist and clever too. Remember the picture that shredded itself just after being sold for over a million at auction. He cultivates an air of mystery that ensures that his artwork is in high demand.

He created the 'spy booth' artwork in my hometown one night, on the side of someone's house (without permission I assume). Looked great, the tourists loved it and it was a talking point for a while. Wouldn't want it on the side of my house though 😃

45 minutes ago, Dougy said:

He has promoted the act of "Tagging" or spraying trains etc with spray paint, its a day of that train out of service and thus having a huge impact on what the general public report as a poor enough public transport service as it is. Its not only about the removal of the graffiti, having that set out of service has an impact on the planned service of other sets in that fleet, also time taken to removed the graffiti is time taken away from other areas. 

Art on canvas OK but not on public property. 

Absolutely. Apart from the cleanup costs, when the exterior imitation  "artists" come to grief on the tracks, it's my BTP son-in-law and his colleagues who have to clean up the gore.

6 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

He is certainly a talented artist and clever too. Remember the picture that shredded itself just after being sold for over a million at auction. He cultivates an air of mystery that ensures that his artwork is in high demand.

He created the 'spy booth' artwork in my hometown one night, on the side of someone's house (without permission I assume). Looked great, the tourists loved it and it was a talking point for a while. Wouldn't want it on the side of my house though 😃

That's one I hadn't seen. Very cool. He's more than welcome to come and paint something on my house. His work is worth a fortune.