Stock ‘sculpting’

PPP

I have a 695 with beautiful wood but the grain is such that my gunsmith doesn’t want to bend it and I need a little cast on (same as my other guns)

The 695 is very thick in the comb and the gunsmith suggested it could be reshaped or sculpted to add cast.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Thanks

That's odd as the more highly figured the wood the easier it is to bend. And even though all bending is done at owner's risk I'd get a second opinion. If by "re-sculpting" to add cast I'm assuming that he may mean like an authentic Holland & Holland style stock that's swept at the face? So from vertically above it has a banana type or scooped out profile?

Hmmph! I had a gun stocked like that just to see what it was like compared to the more usual stocking where the stock is cast is as if it were a ship's rubber or aircraft tail plane rudder. Yes the Holland style is great. Except it looks nasty. Then as you get older and fatter or until you need to lengthen or shorten the stock it's effectively scrap. As WW says above!

Edited by enfieldspares

If the 'stocker' knows his job and wants the job he would be able to bend that stock. It takes time and patience.  I had the stock on my old BSA which was my Grandfathers bent to fit me. The stocker explained that with any bending there was always a risk and I accepted that. He spent about five weeks with that stock in the vice and every morning as he walked in the workshop he just cranked it a bit more a smidgen at a time.  It came out spot on.    It's a risk you have to take. Alternative is as you say sculpting the stock.  If you intend keeping the gun then no problem, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as it fits you and you enjoy shooting it.

40 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Unless you've got some sort of strong attachment to this gun I'd sell it and buy one that fits.

You'd save yourself a few bob and the worry of the job being done correctly.

Makes sense  to me , a damaged stock would cost a lot to replace .

On 18/07/2020 at 07:59, Walker570 said:

If the 'stocker' knows his job and wants the job he would be able to bend that stock. It takes time and patience.  I had the stock on my old BSA which was my Grandfathers bent to fit me. The stocker explained that with any bending there was always a risk and I accepted that. He spent about five weeks with that stock in the vice and every morning as he walked in the workshop he just cranked it a bit more a smidgen at a time.  It came out spot on.    It's a risk you have to take. Alternative is as you say sculpting the stock.  If you intend keeping the gun then no problem, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as it fits you and you enjoy shooting it.

A BSA and a Beretta are two totally different guns . I have altered more stocks than I can remember but it will all depend on how much needs casting , and the particular wood involved .Some I would do some I would not because of risk of breakage .

Having the stock slimmed down or hollow faced can be the answer but again it will depend on whether the stock is hollowed out inside or not and the position of the stock bolt  .
 would have a word with someone else to get a second opinion.

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

A BSA and a Beretta are two totally different guns . I have altered more stocks than I can remember but it will all depend on how much needs casting , and the particular wood involved .Some I would do some I would not because of risk of breakage .

Having the stock slimmed down or hollow faced can be the answer but again it will depend on whether the stock is hollowed out inside or not and the position of the stock bolt  .
 would have a word with someone else to get a second opinion.

Thanks, found an excellent chap locally who looked at the thicknesses (luckily a thick stock) and discovered that the face was slightly convex, making this flat is pretty close, I need to try it for a few weeks then go back for final adjustments and finishing.. Thanks for advice!

13 hours ago, PPP said:

Thanks, found an excellent chap locally who looked at the thicknesses (luckily a thick stock) and discovered that the face was slightly convex, making this flat is pretty close, I need to try it for a few weeks then go back for final adjustments and finishing.. Thanks for advice!

Suprising what an 1/8" off can do at the cheek , I agree entirely that have him take some off and try it , would have done so myself .When its OK then it can be smoothed off on both sides to match and be refinished . When done it should be impossible to tell so will not affect any possible future sales value .

10 hours ago, Gunman said:

Suprising what an 1/8" off can do at the cheek , I agree entirely that have him take some off and try it , would have done so myself .When its OK then it can be smoothed off on both sides to match and be refinished . When done it should be impossible to tell so will not affect any possible future sales value .

Yep he’s going to match so no one would know, not that I’ll be selling! Thanks