Heads up

dad

just a heads up to anybody traveling the A1 in the lincoln area some road works with a very active camera 50 limit. I got a notice of prosecution for 57 hands up no excuses not a worker in sight or other vehicles only took 3 days to come in post 1st one in 56 years wonder if they will show leniency for good record. Suppose they must need the money to pay for furlough.

39 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

but it will still cost you nearly £100

Agreed, but the alternative? Court, = points + a fine: tell your insurers = increased premium, possibly for some time. The overall cost much greater than £100. Bite on the bullet and sit in the naughty boys chair for a few hours.

30 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Agreed, but the alternative? Court, = points + a fine: tell your insurers = increased premium, possibly for some time. The overall cost much greater than £100. Bite on the bullet and sit in the naughty boys chair for a few hours.

I can agree with that. I was a little silly a while ago and ended up with 5 points (one knocked off for the apology). Pretty much doubled my insurance.

1 hour ago, dad said:

wonder if they will show leniency for good record

It isn't taken into account.

Speed awareness course worked out (for me) more expensive than fine/points - and my insurance allow 'one low level speeding' without raising premium.  I opted for the course even though I had no points ....... and afterwards realised it would have saved me about £30 to take the fine and points.

I found the course (which seemed to be run by a retired police officer) patronising and spent most of the time telling us how highly skilled police drivers are compared to the rest of us mere mortals.  I think it was £100 per person, about 12 persons, two courses per day. Someone therefore making £2400 a day, less a bit for room rental (it was held in a council office) - so a nice little earner.

18 minutes ago, scouser said:

Question,  can you ask for the course, if your not given the option when you receive the notice.

No.You have to be offered it. They do if you haven't had one within the last 3 years and the speed was within certain limits. Not sure how that would work at the moment though with the social distancing thing. 

18 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It isn't taken into account.

Speed awareness course worked out (for me) more expensive than fine/points - and my insurance allow 'one low level speeding' without raising premium.  I opted for the course even though I had no points ....... and afterwards realised it would have saved me about £30 to take the fine and points.

I found the course (which seemed to be run by a retired police officer) patronising and spent most of the time telling us how highly skilled police drivers are compared to the rest of us mere mortals.  I think it was £100 per person, about 12 persons, two courses per day. Someone therefore making £2400 a day, less a bit for room rental (it was held in a council office) - so a nice little earner.

I was shown leniency as it was my first offence and I wrote an apology letter. (£100 off the fine and 1 point off). My mother was also shown leniency on her first offence, she was clocked at 118mph on the A1. She got a court summons (no option to plead guilty by post) got herself a solicitor and ended up with 6 points and a £500 fine, very lucky. 

1 minute ago, JTaylor91 said:

I was shown leniency as it was my first offence and I wrote an apology letter. (£100 off the fine and 1 point off). My mother was also shown leniency on her first offence, she was clocked at 118mph on the A1. She got a court summons (no option to plead guilty by post) got herself a solicitor and ended up with 6 points and a £500 fine, very lucky. 

OK - from memory (and it is a while ago) I was offered a choice of fixed penalty fine/points pleading guilty by post, (fine I think being £60 then), take speed awareness course (£100) in effect admitting guilt, but having no points  -  or go to court (where I guess I could have tried for leniency).

I’ve been on a speed awareness course and also have 3 points. Both from the Kingsway tunnel approach. Enclosed dual carriageway road, used to be 40, the speed limit has been reduced to 30. Caught twice at 36ish, now I do 30 there as can’t afford any more points. I always drive below 30 in residential areas but do tend to speed in other areas where I am less aware of the risks. Then when you are in a vehicle pulling out of a field onto a lane and everyone is flying around a blind corner at 60mph you realise how blind you can be when behind the wheel. 

I use Waze now to just run in the car even if I don’t need the navigation. Other users put on locations of any speed cameras, roadworks or whatever. With it being updated by the general public it isn’t always up to date but every mobile camera van I’ve passed on the motorways has already been flagged up by another user.

Just now, Robertt said:

Slowed down to the usual 50mph limit for the roadworks then realised the signs

were 40 mph.

Some on the M5/M6 were as low as 30 mph - not sure if they still are as I haven't been that way recently (haven't been anywhere!)

Yeah, been there, 60 in temporary speed limit of 50 - roadworks a few year back, probably around the same age as 'Dad' then.  1st offence  in around 40 years of driving - I wrote a nice letter to appeal, have always been good, won't happen again and got an equally nice letter back to say:

1) at 10mph over the limit I had to take the 3 points and a fine, if I'd been 9mph over it would have the Speed Awareness Course.

2) Many of the insurance companies don't increase premiums until you hit 6 points as the proliferation of speed camera a systems was making it a fact of life that even the most careful of drivers was likely to make an error occasionally.  The 6 point threshold was agreed between the insurance companies so they didn't get into a pricing war of speeding points.

So my premiums didn't go up however every time one had to fill a form in for insurance or to hire a car you have to write the date, Offence code - SP40 in my case and fine paid...for the next 5 years and that was a right royal PIA.    

One should always tell one's insurance company when any details change - failure to do so gives the blighters a reason to decline a claim because your details have changed.

Edited by Cosmicblue

1 hour ago, The Heron said:

There is no one on here who drives who hasn't broken the speed limit either deliberately or by accident. 

There must be, as when I got my speed awareness course, at least 2 or 3 pompous whiter-than-white virgins reared their heads and said they had never exceeded the speed limit in their lives and chastised me for being as bad as Pol Pot. Surely they couldn't be condescending AND liars? :hmm: