Heads up

dad

Agreed, but the alternative? Court, = points + a fine: tell your insurers = increased premium, possibly for some time.

One offence if it's just the three points doesn't now alone make for an increase in your premium. Also the wording that you are asked, by most insurers, on renewal WILL be such that you will have to disclose having taken a speed awareness course

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

One offence if it's just the three points doesn't now alone make for an increase in your premium. Also the wording that you are asked, by most insurers, on renewal WILL be such that you will have to disclose having taken a speed awareness course

As somebody on here once said, declaring a speed awareness course should bring a reduction in premiums as you are now a better educated driver and less likely to speed.

As usual, insurance companies are always looking for an excuse to squeeze a bit more out of you.

I sympathise and would not cast the first stone.

I have been very lucky in 50+ years of driving, although I have served two bans for speeding (motorways).
If I had been fined for every time I broke a posted speed limit by more than 5 miles an hour I would be bankrupt and walking.
Many years ago, late for a very important meeting in Chelsea (buying a company) , I drove down the Embankment (5.30 am) at speed, with all the cameras flashing in my rear view mirror, I never received one ticket, thats what you call luck.

18 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I sympathise and would not cast the first stone.

I have been very lucky in 50+ years of driving, although I have served two bans for speeding (motorways).
If I had been fined for every time I broke a posted speed limit by more than 5 miles an hour I would be bankrupt and walking.
Many years ago, late for a very important meeting in Chelsea (buying a company) , I drove down the Embankment (5.30 am) at speed, with all the cameras flashing in my rear view mirror, I never received one ticket, thats what you call luck.

Out of curiosity what were you clocked at to receive the bans?

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Out of curiosity what were you clocked at to receive the bans?

The first time 105 mph on M25 in Essex, returning from Manchester (I had a factory there) at 1 am.
Second time (6 months later), 110 mph on M25 in Essex, again returning from Manchester at 2am.
Both times in the "slow" lane, no traffic, clear dry conditions.
They were unmarked cars parked on a road going over the motorway.

The strange thing was I received a 8 weeks ban plus fines for the first offence and only 6 weeks plus fines for the second.

29 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

The first time 105 mph on M25 in Essex, returning from Manchester (I had a factory there) at 1 am.
Second time (6 months later), 110 mph on M25 in Essex, again returning from Manchester at 2am.

The strange thing was I received a 8 weeks ban plus fines for the first offence and only 6 weeks plus fines for the second.

That’s tough, if you see my earlier post my mother got away with 6 points and a fine for 118mph on the A1

1 hour ago, Cranfield said:

Got to say this is why I love cruise control,  if you travel regularly when its quiet it so easy to be speeding on an empty motorway.

I'm wondering what sort of meeting you can be late for at 5:30am.

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm wondering what sort of meeting you can be late for at 5:30am.

The meeting was with accountants and advisers regarding a company purchase, and was  prior to the main negotiation meeting, which started at 9am.

Its interesting that 30mph over the posted speed limit is not an automatic suspension in Scotland (like it usually is in England) >
I was clocked on the M74 at 105mph and only received a fine, not even any points.

So as to not self incriminate, I am aware that some people in a camera zone will determine speed off their sat nav (because it’s more accurate than the speedo) and then adjust to +10% and +2 mph on top, because that was commonly understood to be the threshold before prosecution eg in a 50 mph you’d be alright doing up to and including 57 mph. And despite what the holier than brigade say, it is entirely possible to do this on clear and quiet roads not in built up areas (eg the M3). The OP’s story is an eye opener.

17 minutes ago, Mungler said:

The OP’s story is an eye opener.

Our current muppet of a Chief Constable was making utterances about prosecuting any one 'over'.  NO allowance.  It was, he said, up to the driver to obey the law.  I think he was told to wind his neck in, but not sure what the current policy is.

I think you could be out of luck here.
I read on another site a couple of weeks back that no speed awareness courses are available at the moment due to the ongoing Covid restrictions.
A course is not an automatic right, and you will just issued with the fine and points.
Sorry.