Mobile homes ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I'm half thinking of buying one of these on a residential site.

Can anyone enlighten me with the pros and cons ?.

Thanks all.

11 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I'm half thinking of buying one of these on a residential site.

Can anyone enlighten me with the pros and cons ?.

Thanks all.

Hello, is there a resident association ? Go and talk to them, as to how they find living there, there maybe some info via Google 

Cons = High ground rent, the site owner can ask you to remove the unit when it ages a bit and nowhere else will have you so buying secondhand on site is a risk. I was in one with a girlfriend in 1988 and 5 units away one burnt to the ground with nobody being aware and the old girl died in it. Badly insulated usually so winters can be hard.

Pros = usually a lot of older quieter residents. Often located in nice unaffordable areas.

To me they are overpriced for what they are.

Pros - more affordable than a house, usually in nice rural areas, usually have bar and restaurant plus other amenities on site, usually a better social atmosphere with neighbours.

Cons - most sites make you vacate throughout February, high cost of fuel for cooking etc, badly insulated (cold in winter, hot in summer), most sites make you upgrade your caravan every 7 years or so, not as spacious as a house, lack of garage and garden.

57 minutes ago, snow white said:

We have lived in one for fifteen years now and we love it but you want to get on a farm that had one on for over ten years that you can take of and install your van or you can’t live in all year round.

If you want to pm me I will explain so more

Hello, well done 👍 

Looked at several sites around Norfolk, average ground rent is around £3000, then council tax at base rate£1200, on top you have heating,electric, gas, but water is normally included.

Biggest problem was after just a few years the owner can insist you remove an older van and replace with new, in some cases you could only replace with a van purchased directly from the site management and these could be double or more the cost of buying direct from manufacturers,

You have to make sure they have a residential licence from the council, if its on holiday licence you have to leave for a preset amount of time before being allowed to move back in, one site I enquired with also told us, no unrelated guests allowed to stay over, only immediate family, brothers,sisters,sons daughters or mum and dad allowed to stay, if you are away for any time you cannot rent it out to anyone, very restrictive and very few rights, read any contracts very carefully.

We did the better option, we bought a vacant plot with residential permission and all main services connected, at auction it was £28000, 1998, we then got full planning for a 40 foot park home with full winter pack, once on site we could choose for ourselves to either live there or rent out either for holidays or residencial.

We sold it on a few years ago and bought a conventional old folks bungalow with a nice big garden and minimum maintenance but the park home option was great at the time. just not on a site with others.

I live in one on the river fully residential site stay 12 months lovely village a few holiday lets in summer good community spirit no club house etc about £70pw you purchase the unit outright and you have a lot of rights the gov have a booklet out showing all your rights 10 percent commision to sit owner when you sell on keep it in good condition youll have no problems mine is over 55s and i can will it when i die mine is 50yrs old left to me by my father 14yrs ago you get a written agreemnt from site owner you lease the plot i love it warm and cosy not cheap though nicer the area more expensive