Rough shooting gun

WalkedUp

My Beretta gets very heavy in the afternoon after carrying it all day rough shooting. I am working a pair of dogs over very rough terrain and carrying a 12g clay gun. I am looking for a .410” to use on the shoot after 11s. What would everyone recommend? As light as possible but not a hammer gun or poacher’s folding gun.

These adverts are of interest to me:

I am not sure about the visible safety of a bolt action shot gun (no semi or pumps allowed). Lots of fences to cross so constantly having to unrack and then rerack three cartridges could become wearisome. The single barrel is a nice light option but concerned that I would feel undergunned if a pair of pheasant flush after walking for two hours to find them. The over and under is nice but realistically well outside of my budget (up to £200 before my wife will moan). 

I have three young sons (5,3,1) so see this as an investment for them too. Something to use for me for the next few years (with a DIY timber stock extension) before cutting it down for an 8 year old. 

Light as a feather my KOFS but cartridges can be expensive - buying in bulk saves loads though.I use 19g 7's and recoil is barely noticable - if you do buy a KOFS make sure you see it in the flesh - seen some with terrible wood whilst others are pretty good. Mine does everything I ask of it, trigger is good and ejection is positive, only thing I don't like is the 30" barrels (you can get 28") - they are quite heavy compared to the action which makes the gun front heavy.

I have shot a Yilditz 410, 30 inch barrel O/U now four five seasons and it has performed far better than my abilities for sure. It is a delight to carry and use and a pocket full of shells would last you all day.  OK I reload all my own so the price of ammo is not over the top, but purely for walked up rough shooting the factory price is not in question.   Fiocchi 18g 7s or 6s will sort anything out to 35yrds no problem if you do your bit. I shoot full and full and it throws a tight pattern at that range with good penetration.  Lincoln also make a very nice 410 O/U.

My 12 bore with 24 gram loads will only be 8 grams lighter than my normal game setup to carry around all afternoon 🤣 

I quite like the idea of the Kofs Spectre in 28 bore, 28” barrels with two stocks, but the cost of it means I cannot afford to buy it this year as I invested in a Beretta semi auto (£175) and joined another wild fowling club. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

My Beretta 12 bore is over 8lb, which after 6 hours of carrying through thick, rough terrain starts to get heavy to carry. 

My regular game gun, 12 bore, weighs 6lb 2oz. I have another side lock 12 which weighs 6lb 12oz and it feels heavy after the best gun. For rough walked up days I carry a 20 bore weighing 5lb 10oz or if it’s really rough going a cheap Spanish LIG weighing 6lb 6oz. You can keep your 8lb guns!

Does it have to be a small bore? If you had a lightweight 20bore you might find it snappy enough in the recoil department if you have a heavy-ish cartridge in it. My 12bore AYA yeoman shoots lovely with a 21gram or 24gram load, Weighs in at not much over 6lb and you can pick a shabby looking one up for next to nothing.

I actually already have a lovely stocked AYA Yeoman, a decade ago she used to be my sole gun. I shot with her last year a few times when I was not fussed about missing. Funny that the answer was in my cabinet the whole time of this thread 🤣 But it’s always more attractive if the answer is buy an extra gun....

The Yeoman stock is far too short for me (build and stance) but I feel she’s also too pretty for me to lengthen to 15.5”. It’s clearly the most cost effective option however. I like the steel butt plate but a rubber recoil pad would add an inch, and a spacer another half inch. 

Not fussed about recoil, I’ve never noticed it whether shooting 21gm skeet or 50gm Fox loads. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I actually already have a lovely stocked AYA Yeoman, a decade ago she used to be my sole gun. I shot with her last year a few times when I was not fussed about missing. Funny that the answer was in my cabinet the whole time of this thread 🤣 But it’s always more attractive if the answer is buy an extra gun....

The Yeoman stock is far too short for me (build and stance) but I feel she’s also too pretty for me to lengthen to 15.5”. It’s clearly the most cost effective option however. I like the steel butt plate but a rubber recoil pad would add an inch, and a spacer another half inch. 

Not fussed about recoil, I’ve never noticed it whether shooting 21gm skeet or 50gm Fox loads. 

Jeez I couldn't imagine a 50gm thru my AYA... RIP shoulder haha! Mines a little short for me really too but the comb height is about right so it makes it a great snap shooter for me on those "taking the dog for a walk" evening shoots where it's just me, gun and dog and a handful of cartridges for a quick hour away.