.410 steel ?

So ive seen a .410 mossberg i fancy .but then remembered that we will all be shooting steel in a few years time .

So a quick google search of steel .410 carts  brought up nothing .

Does anybody know why there are no commercial  steel loads available? 

And if they wont be easily found does that mean that .410 as a calibre will die .

Making my current .410 useless ? 

Cheers 

Edited by Ultrastu

40 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So ive seen a .410 mossberg i fancy .but then remembered that we will all be shooting steel in a few years time .

And if they wont be easily found does that mean that .410 as a calibre will die .

Cheers 

No help I'm afraid Factory steel shot is available in the USA. I only know of Bismuth over here i personally loaded Steel shot .410 ( not looking to turn your Thread into a heated debate ) which worked on Duck also I killed 3 Pink's for 3 shots under the moon . Sorry for being long winded but loading your own is the only option at the moment

59 minutes ago, bishop said:

tempted to buy a 410 once again ,make use of the old bayonet fit silencer and try some 2.5 tss #5 on geese this season.

TSS No7 will give a 50 yard range on geese, nearly all pellets will still be in a 3 foot circle at that range, some 100 pellets for 2.5inch penetration, which no goose should walk away from.

the same load in TSS 5 will only give 70 pellets though each pellet will have 3.25 inch penetration.

For comparison, lead no 3 at 50 yards has 2 inch penetration and lead no 1, 2.5 inch.

I loaded some no9 tss last season and patterned at 50 yards below with a 3/8 choke. I printed slightly high, but the sheet is 40 inch high as it comes off the roll.

BLM 50 Yards.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

TSS No7 will give a 50 yard range on geese, nearly all pellets will still be in a 3 foot circle at that range, some 100 pellets for 2.5inch penetration, which no goose should walk away from.

the same load in TSS 5 will only give 70 pellets though each pellet will have 3.25 inch penetration.

For comparison, lead no 3 at 50 yards has 2 inch penetration and lead no 1, 2.5 inch.

I loaded some no9 tss last season and patterned at 50 yards below with a 3/8 choke. I printed slightly high, but the sheet is 40 inch high as it comes off the roll.

BLM 50 Yards.JPG

Thats very interesting.. I was looking at the Scotland reloading website [fantastic service BTW ] and wondered about ordering both the tss 7 and 5 for a fixed choke 20g,  imp.C  and 3/4, any recommendation's for wads or even a recipe ? please edit to say [after looking on website] 15wt no 7 and 18wt no 6

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

BLM 50 Yards.JPG

100% agree with you about TSS but the OP was seeking advice about Steel Shot 👍

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thats very interesting.. I was looking at the Scotland reloading website [fantastic service BTW ] and wondered about ordering both the tss 7 and 5 for a fixed choke 20g,  imp.C  and 3/4, any recommendation's for wads or even a recipe ? please

Definitely would not bother with size 5 . 

7's are all you need 70mm case Lil-Gun powder 7/8oz 3/4oz or 1oz of TSS B&P 24 steel wad 4mm cork 28ga wad to pack wad out to hold shot column 

2 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Definitely would not bother with size 5 . 

7's are all you need 70mm case Lil-Gun powder 7/8oz 3/4oz or 1oz of TSS B&P 24 steel wad 4mm cork 28ga wad to pack wad out to hold shot column 

Brilliant ! liking the lil-gun..👍 nice one 6.5

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers 

In UK at present, only option is to homeload using TPS wads.

Wad Capacity as below for (US shot sizes)

TPS410 shot size grains ounce
Steel  #7 157.2  3/8
Steel  #6 155.7  3/8
Steel  #5 147.3   5/16
Steel  #4 147.8   5/16

I will try and dig out the steel data I have seen, can't locate it at present.... :(

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Thats very interesting.. I was looking at the Scotland reloading website [fantastic service BTW ] and wondered about ordering both the tss 7 and 5 for a fixed choke 20g,  imp.C  and 3/4, any recommendation's for wads or even a recipe ? please edit to say [after looking on website] 15wt no 7 and 18wt no 6

Island Gun, BPI stilll have their data online.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/00bsts.pdf

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers 

We may not all be shooting steel in a few years.

2 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

If you decide to go for 18cc drop me a PM and I'll give you the load i use on Geese i also have a 28ga 1oz load 

If the 1oz load is still the same as last year I can say it works a treat. Had no much luck in the foreshore but inland I had some cracking shot using it as a 3rd shell on my sx3 IC on fleeing geese. Had a widgeon with it and the guy on the mud came back to know what I was shooting. I use #8

13 hours ago, Stonepark said:

In UK at present, only option is to homeload using TPS wads.

Wad Capacity as below for (US shot sizes)

TPS410 shot size grains ounce
Steel  #7 157.2  3/8
Steel  #6 155.7  3/8
Steel  #5 147.3   5/16
Steel  #4 147.8   5/16

I will try and dig out the steel data I have seen, can't locate it at present.... 😞

Island Gun, BPI stilll have their data online.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/00bsts.pdf

Cheers.. I see that clay and game have downloadable  data from bpi using cheddite cases, just click on the  tss advert

13 hours ago, motty said:

We may not all be shooting steel in a few years.

Motty is correct, steel will have been found to have to many safety issues like ricochets, damage to guns, so as gold is nearly twice as dense as lead the shooting orgs will introduce a move to gold shot, also guarantees a sustainable cartridge because after the shoot all will be using their metal detectors to recover the shot.

2 hours ago, HW95J said:

Is there a reason for preference of TSS over Bismuth? Just as TSS is a bit more pricey it seems. Different performances? 

Ive just ordered some because i like the sound of using 7's in my open choke 20g and increasing the penetration at range if needed, [if this happens remains to be seen],  also i would only expect to fire 50 loads in a season, wildfowl

TSS is much harder and heavier than Bismuth meaning 

- you the ability to use far smaller shot to achieve the same result you would by using bigger pellets of other materials (e.g. #9 TSS  matches ballistic results of #2 steel) thus having more pellets for the same payload.

- heavier shot will require less pellets to reach the desired payload meaning fillers are required to reach the correct crimping height; as we know fillers, and higher pellet column, help reduce pressure overall.

it is pricey but I found that using steel as a filler, helps reducing the overall cost.  Also, duplexing helps me reduce the amount of minced ducks at 10-20 yds while still able to take down geese well over my shooting's comfort zone. 

11 hours ago, HW95J said:

Is there a reason for preference of TSS over Bismuth? Just as TSS is a bit more pricey it seems. Different performances? 

Tss is twice as dense as bismuth. It is far superior on long range stuff.

6 hours ago, HW95J said:

Interesting, thanks for the input 👍 Do you need plastic wad for TSS? Never loaded anything non-lead but in the future might be a must in order to keep the .410 running 

Thick plastic wads are usually required.