Back out on the fish

team tractor

Yes fished that back in the late forties and fifties. Nice to know it is still there and in good order.   That lake might actually be one of three which existed behind the old colliery, am I correct, or is it the one which is down the track which used to lead to the poultry farm, almost opposite to the track down to the river/flashes?  Have cast a line on most of those back then.

Edited by Walker570

12 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Read the title and thought 'you dirty boy' 😂

🤣🤣🤣🤣 ssssh keep that secret .

38 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes fished that back in the late forties and fifties. Nice to know it is still there and in good order.   That lake might actually be one of three which existed behind the old colliery, am I correct, or is it the one which is down the track which used to lead to the poultry farm, almost opposite to the track down to the river/flashes?  Have cast a line on most of those back then.

By the canal back of colliery yes 👍. Apparently a bomb landed in the middle of it in ww2 . 

4 hours ago, team tractor said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 ssssh keep that secret .

By the canal back of colliery yes 👍. Apparently a bomb landed in the middle of it in ww2 . 

Yes, I know the one you are at.  That string of bombs dropped one night and I was only about 3 or 4 and we had all gone into our air raid shelter. My father who was in the RAF was on weekend leave and stood at the door and they could hear aircraft going overhead. I remember my mum saying I kept repeating 'naugthy bombers, naughtie bombers and my dad said no they are ours I can tell the engine noise (he worked on Merlins) imediately followed by a string of explosions as they tried to bomb a search light emplacement at Alvecote on the main railway line.  He was never allowed to forget that and it was always brought up at parties for many years.   Happy memories.  If you turn into Dark Lane to go up to Birchmoor on the Hermitage Hill, there are some barns on the left, now offices and the bomb shelter was built under the edge of the first barn..... totally useless.

There is a string of bomb holes right across those fields or was when I was a kid.

Edited by Walker570