Full length resizing

I have had the same Steve. I'm using Lee press and full length die. Mine needs a bump to get to size. You can see the difference on the neck if you don't. I still get one or two but my dies I bought SH so might invest in a new die just to bump the neck. Also I don't bother crimping either. Enjoy the new bangstick. 

56 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

I have had the same Steve. I'm using Lee press and full length die. Mine needs a bump to get to size. You can see the difference on the neck if you don't. I still get one or two but my dies I bought SH so might invest in a new die just to bump the neck. Also I don't bother crimping either. Enjoy the new bangstick. 

Since putting the post up, I bumped the shoulder a fraction, and all seems okay. I tried 50 and picked a few out at random and they chambered/ejected. I've always put a light crimp on 22 Hornet, 204 and 243. Perhaps I won't bother with the 308. I'm looking forward to trying a few rounds soon up the local farm.

I have just had to set up 2 dies since having 2 rifles re-barreled, my procedure is;

Remove the firing pin from the bolt, this will then offer no resistance when checking for case size after being resized (extractor can also be removed but can be fiddly)

Fit full length die in the press but not all the way down to the shell holder. Resize the fired case by turning the die 1/4 way down until the rifle bolt nearly closes, then turn 1/8 increments until the bolt closes with no resistance. 

You can then lock the locking ring, you can use a loctite if you want.( I use a Loctite 243) 

Doing it that way your not over working the brass, yet still have brass that is the correct size for your chamber and fits well. 

7 hours ago, Dougy said:

I have just had to set up 2 dies since having 2 rifles re-barreled, my procedure is;

Remove the firing pin from the bolt, this will then offer no resistance when checking for case size after being resized (extractor can also be removed but can be fiddly)

Fit full length die in the press but not all the way down to the shell holder. Resize the fired case by turning the die 1/4 way down until the rifle bolt nearly closes, then turn 1/8 increments until the bolt closes with no resistance. 

You can then lock the locking ring, you can use a loctite if you want.( I use a Loctite 243) 

Doing it that way your not over working the brass, yet still have brass that is the correct size for your chamber and fits well. 

That's pretty much exactly how my full length dies are set.

On 20/07/2020 at 00:42, aister said:

That's pretty much exactly how my full length dies are set.

The way I've always set the dies is to raise the ram fully (with case holder attached) and then screw the die in until it just touches the holder. Then I turn the die another 1/4 turn and check until the case is okay.