Anyone running a 2017-18 Ford Ranger 2.2?

Fuddster

Hi all,

after 15 years with my Landcruiser I'm looking to change to a pickup.

I am tempted towards a Ranger around the 67/18 plate with the 2.2 engine with either auto or manual gearbox.

My research has thrown up a few known faults-the main one being an issue with the oil pump which can wreck the engine.

Are they really that bad or is more a case of there being a lot on the road, meaning faults are proportionate by numbers?

I've discounted the hilux on price, the denver as a bit drab and amorak on VW engine issues.

Final three are the ranger, navara and L200 in that order.

any comments welcomed.

cheers all

f.

On 21/07/2020 at 09:00, Fuddster said:

Hi all,

after 15 years with my Landcruiser I'm looking to change to a pickup.

I am tempted towards a Ranger around the 67/18 plate with the 2.2 engine with either auto or manual gearbox.

My research has thrown up a few known faults-the main one being an issue with the oil pump which can wreck the engine.

Are they really that bad or is more a case of there being a lot on the road, meaning faults are proportionate by numbers?

I've discounted the hilux on price, the denver as a bit drab and amorak on VW engine issues.

Final three are the ranger, navara and L200 in that order.

any comments welcomed.

cheers all

f.

if you have the old straight 6 diesel amazon      keep it   I mean keep it        the modern diesels too highly strung  cranks and heads   gearbox issues     others chassis failures  as built to a budget    don't be hasty  it will cost £

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

if you have the old straight 6 diesel amazon      keep it   I mean keep it        the modern diesels too highly strung  cranks and heads   gearbox issues     others chassis failures  as built to a budget    don't be hasty  it will cost £

I have the D4D 3.0-now on 133K and runs very well-no DPF or adblue etc.

Bought it 25K on it as I say 15 years ago.

cheers

F.

I went from a 2012 Hilux to a 2016 Navara, it was total rubbish. Wheel arch linings are a joke off road and cannot be cleaned with a jet wash they need a screwdriver for stone removal. Put a large bale in the back and it sits on the bump stops. Rolls like a barge. Swapped to a 2017 lux after just 4 months. 

Just picked up a 17 plate ranger, its the 3.2 Wildtrack. Only had it a month or so but so far really impressed, solidly built, drives and handles nicely (for what it is), I did a lot of research as well before buying the truck and happy with my choice, most of my research was done looking at Aussie and South African forums as they properly load up their trucks for testing. The oil pump is a known issue but there are lots which dont have this problem and it gives warning signs before killing your engine (normally), i ended up buying from Ford but also considered privately and buying an extended warranty with one of the companies, 3 years was only around £1000 so obviously they consider them quite reliable to being quite a cheap price for that long a period. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got offered a 2.2 ranger this week 62 plate, engine runs but tired, possible oil pump, but I looked at it as if it needed an engine, a few dents, auto box, £1500, I m not at all tempted. 

Still sat outside my place now, as no one else seems interested either. 

Jap for me I'm afraid. 

58 minutes ago, London Best said:

Surely a Ford Ranger is Jap made?

Thailand I think-ran some warranty numbers for cover outside of fords 3 year-came in at about 2.5 times that of other pickups and a discovery 4-that to me says it is expected to go wrong out of warranty.

Sadly the ranger has been removed from my option list.

f