£3000 Labrador Puppies????

CaptC

I was looking for a Jack Russel pup for a friend when I came across an advert for Labrador puppies at the exorbitantly ridiculous price of £3000 a puppy - Not even working dogs! I had to enquire of the parents/grandparents had the usual tests and the answer came back that "They had been checked by the vet and all healthy" - Caveat emptor! Greedy, mercinary selllers!

1 minute ago, B725 said:

Total greed and profiteering using covid 19 as an excuse, in a few months time the rescue Centers will be full of unwanted dog's when the lockdown is lifted and they are all back at work 

Sadly, this is already happening. People who bought a puppy during Covid are now finding they can't really deal with a dog and with their normality they desperately want back. Prices got suddenly inflated, because there shouldn't have been any breeding during lockdown, causing people to turn to black/grey market breeders, but now they can't cope. It's always the dogs that lose out in the long run.

JR puppies start at around £800 and popular colours are three or four times that, even Kennel Club registered breeders are on the bandwagon with one offering me Norfolk terrier at two grand (unregistered) ! 

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Law of supply and demand I'm afraid.

Sorry to say I think a lot of these "I must get a dog in lockdown" animals will become available when their owners have to return to work at work.

My exact thoughts.

It’s ridiculous but I’m not that worried about it. 

If your a big enough ***** to pay £2.5-3k for a poorly bred animal then you get everything you deserve. 

As with other things that stupid people do, I try not to get involved in it and then I don’t have as many worries 🤷‍♂️🤣

45 minutes ago, Hamster said:

JR puppies start at around £800 and popular colours are three or four times that, even Kennel Club registered breeders are on the bandwagon with one offering me Norfolk terrier at two grand (unregistered) ! 

My exact thoughts.

At least the Norfolk terrier is a rare breed, bu unregistered??

Pedigree dogs always cost big money but many prices have doubled during lockdown,  I've read of people being told sorry the pup you wanted is now dearer,  obviously breeders realising they can make more money, and as others have said it's the dogs that will suffer. 

14 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Loads of dog thefts in Suffolk recently. 28 in Framlingham area alone. Lot more across East Anglia. Woman confronted by two fellas on rural path who tried to take her dogs. New reports daily all over social media and warning folk to keep an eye on there dogs.   NB 

The beaters pages on FB  have dog thefts every week unfortunately, not just grown working dogs, but pups and their Dams, there need to be severe sentences for dog thefts, it's like stealing a member of the family. 

We were after another cocker and started looking in January but as soon as lockdown kicked they were getting snapped up extremely quickly. We have now put a deposit down on a blue roan show dog (the wife instead this one is a show dog) that we pick up in four weeks. I’m not saying how much but definitely in the stupid category. 

On 21/07/2020 at 12:45, CaptC said:

I was looking for a Jack Russel pup for a friend when I came across an advert for Labrador puppies at the exorbitantly ridiculous price of £3000 a puppy - Not even working dogs! I had to enquire of the parents/grandparents had the usual tests and the answer came back that "They had been checked by the vet and all healthy" - Caveat emptor! Greedy, mercinary selllers!

Sorry, but no one is forced to buy one.

Just now, motty said:

Sorry, but no one is forced to buy one.

No one should be selling one at these prices! I note today several adverts that are now selling older lockdown puppies as "No longer able to cope" "Not enough time" - real life has kicked in but not alas in the nether regions for either the buyer and even harder for the mercilessly greedy seller!!

59 minutes ago, CaptC said:

No one should be selling one at these prices! I note today several adverts that are now selling older lockdown puppies as "No longer able to cope" "Not enough time" - real life has kicked in but not alas in the nether regions for either the buyer and even harder for the mercilessly greedy seller!!

It’s absolutely stupid and quite greedy but on the other hand if stupid people didn’t pay it then it wouldn't happen. 

I want to sell my car, it’s worth about £4,500. 

If I put it for some at £4,500 and get 600+ people asking me to buy it (several people on FB saying they had that kind of number asking for pups they were selling) and people repeatedly saying they will pay more, until I end up selling it for £9,000 or whatever, at the end of the day that isn’t my fault as the seller. 

I wouldn’t buy a pup off anyone selling for that kind of money.