12g cases wanted

24 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Norman Clarke at Rugby has 12 Bore cases but you'd need to call them for length specification.

Yep he has some thanks. He wont/cant post primed cases but it's only a 50 mile ride to fetch some. Problem is HE ALSO SELLS GUNS!

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Yep he has some thanks. He wont/cant post primed cases but it's only a 50 mile ride to fetch some. Problem is HE ALSO SELLS GUNS!

Oh....and in case you've never been be very afraid of Norman's table of pre-owned and pre-loved loading gear and fired cases plus clearance bullets.

Edited by enfieldspares

2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Oh....and in case you've never been be very afraid of his table of pre-owned and pre-loved loading gear and fired cases plus clearance bullets.

Oh dear if her inside sees these posts she will hide my cards when I go. Sounds a very dangerous place!

Thanks again.

Thank you guys. I only load black powder and for older guns with two and a half inch chambers 65mm

Not many 65mm carts in the bins at the clay ground I use. Plus try as I might I cant seem to get a perfect crimp from used cases. An adequate crimp yes but not a perfect one. I do get a half decent crimp from 70mm cases I cut down but cutting down a slab of cases Is not fun.

Edited by DUNKS

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And surely he will still have to cut them down?:w00t:

Not really when  look through the  spent case bins there are loads of 67mm ones at times i really have to search to get a decent amount of 70mm ones, alternatively go to a game shoot where they have a bag of collected cases at the end of the days shoot you will definitely get your 65mm ones there

22 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Thank you guys. I only load black powder and for older guns with two and a half inch chambers 65mm

Not many 65mm carts in the bins at the clay ground I use. Plus try as I might I cant seem to get a perfect crimp from used cases. An adequate crimp yes but not a perfect one. I do get a half decent crimp from 70mm cases I cut down but cutting down a slab of cases Is not fun.

I'd only ever do a roll crimp on a 2 1/2" blackpowder cartridge. Never a star crimp and, for that, you are better to start with 70mm cases and cut them down. Yes it's a pain in the neck but it may be that you need to make a simple tool to help? Might I suggest a block of wood 2" x 2" x 2 7/16" with a hole drilled through it and then simply an old, but very sharp, cheap kitchen knife. The sort with the fine feather type serrations (not a bread knife)? Push case into hole then using a sawing or slicing motion slice of end unwanted ring?

23 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I'd only ever do a roll crimp on a 2 1/2" blackpowder cartridge. Never a star crimp and, for that, you are better to start with 70mm cases and cut them down. Yes it's a pain in the neck but it may be that you need to make a simple tool to help? Might I suggest a block of wood 2" x 2" x 2 7/16" with a hole drilled through it and then simply an old, but very sharp, cheap kitchen knife. The sort with the fine feather type serrations (not a bread knife)? Push case into hole then using a sawing or slicing motion slice of end unwanted ring?

Thanks. Or of course buy the brand new cases I want and no hassle. I can get a decent roll crimp but I prefer a star. Photo shows both. All 65mm cases just different wad.

CRIMP 001.JPG

Edited by DUNKS

55 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Is it not worth investing in mag tech brass cases for the black powder; last a lifetime just need large pistol primers unless you bore them out for a standard primer?

I went a got a little bit "anal retentive" way back in the 1990s and had a rubber stamp maker make me a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square stamp that was rows of lines of number 6 with a full stop so 6. 6. 6. 6. 

Then got an ink pad and stamped my wads. I'm sure that it made the cartridges shoot better! A friend had one made up with lots of number 7 on his.  But no full stop of course. They looked handsome they did. LOL!                                               

10 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Is it not worth investing in mag tech brass cases for the black powder; last a lifetime just need large pistol primers unless you bore them out for a standard primer?

Blackpowder is a killer on brass cases that aren't fairly quickly dunked in water and, also, the case wall thickness would demand a larger wad. You'd have a 2020 version of Mr Heath's "chamberless gun" of the way back when time long ago. However when I mentioned the same thoughts on another Forum some said that it wasn't, as such, an issue.

Edited by enfieldspares

52 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I went a got a little bit "anal retentive" way back in the 1990s and had a rubber stamp maker make me a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square stamp that was rows of lines of number 6 with a full stop so 6. 6. 6. 6. 

Then got an ink pad and stamped my wads. I'm sure that it made the cartridges shoot better! A friend had one made up with lots of number 7 on his.  But no full stop of course. They looked handsome they did. LOL!                                               

Blackpowder is a killer on brass cases that aren't fairly quickly dunked in water and, also, the case wall thickness would demand a larger wad. You'd have a 2020 version of Mr Heath's "chamberless gun" of the way back when time long ago. However when I mentioned the same thoughts on another Forum some said that it wasn't, as such, an issue.

The little rubber stamp is a great idea mine look scruffy with white felt tip. Must get one!😃

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Yep I have to use 11 bore wads in the mag tech and you definitely still have to look after them

51 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

The little rubber stamp is a great idea mine look scruffy with white felt tip. Must get one!😃

Now if I had my time again I'd do it differently. As laying all the wads flat and stamping the was a "faff" in truth. I'd stamp the overshot card after the cartridge was actually loaded and roll crimped but still in the loading tray as in the OP's picture.

I'd make my own stamp with a dowel the diameter of the inside diameter of the roll crimp recess the centre a bit and glue one single large 6, or 7, pinched from a kiddie's stamp pad outfit. So it was like a lipstick.

Or look for a single number stamp in a craft shop and if needed spin it in a drill to get the needed diameter. My seven year old has these stamps for letter but I think their diameter is too great. Anyway it gives the intent of the idea.

Stamp.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares