Bisley pay and play

Townie

I helped set the pay and play course on long siberia up and ran it for the first couple of years. There's a lot of variety there, and it's gone from strength to strength since I moved on to pastures new. Great fun for simulated game down the far end of the ground. I hope you enjoy it. 

I've shot there once. Lovely ground. Walking up to the clubhouse we were greeted by the sight of a deer strolling across the grass. There were only a few stands open when we went so be sure to check what will be available on the day you attend.

Do take your license and proof of insurance. They will check.

0bisley2.jpg

0bisley1.jpg

Unless you go at the right times your limited to seven stands as not allowed through the gate, members only.

I used to shoot it every week during the summer when I worked in Surrey. 

Very nice ground and some very good layouts with multiple traps. Not the cheapest of grounds. 

If you get through the gate the first stand on your left is a good one. All the multi trap stands are good, the sportrap layout is good too.

The high tower fun.

As said the grouse butts are good but one is dangerous as bits of broken clay come straight at you, or did when I used to go.

Went to Bisley yesterday and I'm delighted to say that everything was open. Really good high and driven birds and the grouse butts were fun as promised. Everything worked and very few no birds.

If pushed, the worst I could say is that some of the stands were a bit samey (but there are lots of stands and I shot them all) and it's a touch pricey, but I didn't mind paying for a good layout.

The natives were very friendly, liberal amounts of hand sanitizer around and I'll definitely be going again. I had to return to the car for more cartridges half way through, so I'll man up and carry a full slab next time.

As feared, the debit card took a hammering and I'm glad I don't live a bit nearer.  

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed it, two of my favourite layouts were the sportrap stands and a bit further on down towards the grouse butts a clearing on the left between two stands of trees. Great battue that could be quite hard if they'd had a comp on.  I enjoy the multi trap stands, gives more choice and I don't get bored.

Being as it's coming up game season you tend to find a lot of game type presentations of the clays at lots of grounds.

After a lifetime worrying about money, I’m belatedly coming to the view that if you want to do it and it’s not insanely expensive, do it. My mother is 94 and has more money than she’s ever had, but can’t, or doesn’t want to spend it.

Unfortunately, Mrs T came to this view long before I did!

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Everything about Bisley is getting dearer. I'm paying £30 an hour to shoot on the rifle range (electronic targets) and its a bit solitary just sitting there on your own. its lockdown

But compare the cost to playing golf. Membership in the thousands and £70 plus for a game

I think at all levels golf is cheaper than shooting. 
A round on the local municipal is cheaper than the cartridges for a day’s pigeon shooting and membership and fees at the swankiest golf club is far cheaper than driven grouse shooting.

Quite a few golf courses are closing, due to costs. Green fees were high and people just decided they couldn't or wouldn't pay the price to play.more than twenty years ago average golf course membership was £600-800 a year pay and play was £20 on a cheap municipal and £40-50 on a decent course. I think golf prices have came down and shooting costs have gone up. A decade or so ago sat at work we compared costs of hobbies, course fishing sea fishing, golf football playing and also following your team. Yearly cost was about same for all. I'm not talking grouse shooting or top high bird shoots here, just usual small syndicates  and  weekly clays.  Wonder how they compare today, back then carts were £120-135.00 thousand for budget and £180.00 for black gold's , clays between £16.00 - £20.00 per 100