Jump to content

Ebay car parts verses Main dealer prices ?


Recommended Posts

Depends what you're looking for and what vehicle it is. For example if you want the usual failed suspension parts for a Focus or Kuga, original Ford parts are probably the worst quality on the market, which of course is why you need replacements... 

Pattern parts from the bay or your local motor factor will be half the price and last twice as long.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely nobody is going to justify setting up a factory to make from scratch most of the pattern parts for cars. The vast majority of pattern parts come out of the same factory as the originals but just not in the OM packaging.

For example we recently bought a headlight for a Peugeot van. The headlght was OEM and half the price of Peugeot but every little detail was identical to the one we took off. The little numbers moulded into the plastic, the little stickers, everything.

The only time I wont chance is is brake pads and oil filters

Edited by Vince Green
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2020 at 09:13, bavarianbrit said:

When I worked for the OEM"s I heard there was a 400% markup profit on spare parts sales prices.

Yes but the cost of maintaining such a vast inventory of different parts, many of them slow moving is horrendous for all the different makes and models they have to keep

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Yes but the cost of maintaining such a vast inventory of different parts, many of them slow moving is horrendous for all the different makes and models they have to keep

Very true, but the customer usually chokes on the prices asked for often simple items.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bavarianbrit said:

Very true, but the customer usually chokes on the prices asked for often simple items.

The Europarts of this world cherry pick the parts they want to supply. Its a perfectly fair business plan and one that clearly works given the success of the operation but it lumbers the main agents with having a much slower rate of turnover. That becomes a slow downward spiral where prices are concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vince Green said:

The Europarts of this world cherry pick the parts they want to supply. Its a perfectly fair business plan and one that clearly works given the success of the operation but it lumbers the main agents with having a much slower rate of turnover. That becomes a slow downward spiral where prices are concerned.

Well I am very glad I am retired from that rat race, I have just bought a 2018 Subaru Impreza 2.0 so that should sort me out for the next ten years of my slowing down sporting shooting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My hilux has 190k on the clock and still  running on everything it came out the factory with bar a exhaust brake pads and tyres.a previous hilux needed a radiator so to cut the cost I bought a eBay rad it lasted less than a year so I put another original from main dealer on and got several years until I sold the truck and probably still serving well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...