Belt Grinder.

fatchap

Got my PPI cheque at last, only been waiting just over a year. Always said the first thing I'm going to get is a proper 2x72 belt grinder. I have a Clarke woodworker which I have converted and a homemade file jig for knife bevels. 

There are a lot of 2x72 belt grinders on the market, sadly not that many in the UK, and most come without a motor. I have set a budget of 1500 quid. Theres a nice one on Etsy inside budget, but its only 2hp but its got all the toys, hydraulic tracking and tension, variable speed, and you can fit the different front wheels, 

Can anyone recommend one and pass me a link? Also taking shed space into concideration I quite like the 2x48 designs, Mirikou Dave had one, but he seems to be AWOL on here at the moment.

And for the record, I also had a Ford MK1 Mexico on my purchase list, as I couldn't afford one when I was 17, looking at the prices now, it transpires I STILL can't afford one.

Watching this thread with interest

56 minutes ago, fatchap said:

sadly not that many in the UK, and most come without a motor.

Motor is the easiest part, surely?

Plenty of suppliers should be able to sort you a 3hp-odd motor and VFD to run it, as a package deal.

Or did you want ready-to-run?

I've come to the conclusion that have any sort of decent metal grinder/linisher I'm going to have to roll my own, and thus slowly amass bits I can scrounge.  I quite like this guy's design, as he's in Belgium (I think) the design is in metric units, which should make sourcing materials easier. He does want a quite spendy £35 just for the plans though.

i found a great write up on the perfect motor/ drive wheel  and VFD combination ill try and find it for you. From what i can remember they said that 2hp was fine. If you'd ;like more rpm you can always fit a larger drive wheel. most come with a 4" but they also offer 5" and 6". you can also run the motors at a higher rpm than stated on the motor by ramping up the settings on the VFD. thats what ive done on mine, i think mines a 2.5 hp 3 phase motor with a 4" drive wheel and a cheapy chinese VFD for £80 off of Amazon. i usually only run it at 60% and find it grinds plenty fast enough.

Edited by markyboy07

On 22/07/2020 at 10:01, fatchap said:

Got my PPI cheque at last, only been waiting just over a year. Always said the first thing I'm going to get is a proper 2x72 belt grinder. I have a Clarke woodworker which I have converted and a homemade file jig for knife bevels. 

There are a lot of 2x72 belt grinders on the market, sadly not that many in the UK, and most come without a motor. I have set a budget of 1500 quid. Theres a nice one on Etsy inside budget, but its only 2hp but its got all the toys, hydraulic tracking and tension, variable speed, and you can fit the different front wheels, 

Can anyone recommend one and pass me a link? Also taking shed space into concideration I quite like the 2x48 designs, Mirikou Dave had one, but he seems to be AWOL on here at the moment.

And for the record, I also had a Ford MK1 Mexico on my purchase list, as I couldn't afford one when I was 17, looking at the prices now, it transpires I STILL can't afford one.

I make my own .  Its really not hard to make them if you can weld half way decent.  You buy in all the wheels from the likes of TR maker and vfd from invotek (the later are genuinely made in the uk and highly regarded world over ) .  

Imo making a lot of knives each month and using the grinder in other fabrication work you do not need a flip 90 type  in fact consider a workpiece flying high speed at centre body mass height I suggest you think real carefully.  I work so things come off downwards or directly away if I screw up .  

Belts smart a bit if or rather when you bust one and make damb sure you get an airfed visor because metal fringing dust and such fills the air very rapid , it will also fill lungs 

https://www.jspsafety.com/link/en/respiratory-protection/jetstream-powered-air-kits/jetstream-constructor-kit-gas-and-vapour-th2a2psl-with-multi-plug/cdp020-000-000/p/?parm=CAT1JSP&prdcod=CDP020-000-000

We have just started to use these at work, very comfortable compared to the Silicone 1/2 face type. Not into belt sanders, just having a nose. :good:

Edited by Dougy

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/07/2020 at 10:01, fatchap said:

Hi Mate, 

I'm guessing you're probably sorted by now! I have the 2 x 48 from Downland Engineering, its good but i'm ready to upgrade to a 2 x 72 now as I need contact wheels, adjustable speed and some other functionality. 

The legends at GFS Knife Supplies have just started distributing an awesome 2 x 72 by Claryx, the absolute Rolls Royce package is nearly £3K and the 'Budget' version is £2K. People will freak out at the price but i wouldn't be able to make anything along these lines. 

If you are sorted let me know what you got mate :-)