Corvid control ? best Gun

Phib

Just after a bit of advice as a novice, we have a major Corvid issue at home and need to control the number. 

We can usually shoot them with a shotgun but the noise is anoying one of our horse so looking for a new air rifle, have an old Webly vmx spring loaded one which doesnt really seem up to the job. 

Dont know much about modern air rifles so advice would be very welcome, looked at Rotex varmint 8 ? 

Thanks 

Try a PCP. Until you have then, like me, you'll have no idea about what a huge advance they are on "springeres". Virtually noiseless when fitted with a moderator cost but £30 or so and accuracy that you wouldn't believe. I have a Ratworks regulated BSA Scorpio T-10 in .177 and with me on the end it will put its pellets into a 1/2" group at twenty-five yards. Any PCP with a decent trigger will do the job. I like those BSA Hornet, Ultra and Scorpion styles other like the BSA R-10 style. But all are good and if secondhand maybe around the £300 to £400 price. The only advice then is zero them to the exact distance you'll anticipate taking your crows at.

All depends on what you want to spend , but for the money BSA ultra .177  would be my choice , great guns to tune and reg fitted later if you need . My next choice would be and probably the best off the shelf pcp ,HW100K and this gun is one of the best selling pcp guns for the last 12-15 years for a reason 

6 minutes ago, villaman said:

All depends on what you want to spend , but for the money BSA ultra .177  would be my choice , great guns to tune and reg fitted later if you need . My next choice would be and probably the best off the shelf pcp ,HW100K and this gun is one of the best selling pcp guns for the last 12-15 years for a reason 

Can’t go wrong with an hw100

Well .

Shooting crows and corvids with an airgun is a very very hard thing to do,if you actually want to make a difference to their numbers then a shot gun is really the best way to go .i would get a silenced .410  and shoot away from the horse with the wind in your favour.   

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. 

We have 7 of our own horeses at home and they are all fine with unsilenced shotguns, its two that we have rented a field to !! that arent ours 

They are fine with our current air rifle sound

Have to agree a shotgun would be much much much easier !!