Jump to content

New turkish gun or used premium brand- Semi auto/pump


Recommended Posts

With  new guns available for under £400 from Turkish companies such as Armsan, Hatsan and Revo would you buy one of their pump or semi auto 12G or a more established but pre owned gun such as the Remi 1100, Beretta 303, Benelli, Browning Silver, Winchester SXP, Mossberg etc?

I owned a Hatsan sometime ago and shot very well with it however found it to be very rattly. What would you do? New and Turkish or used and established with a £400 budget.

Regards

Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites

the armsan a612 has a good reputation,not a lot of bad reports,i have the a620 20g,also have a beretta a300 outlander it was twice the price of armsan but i wouldn,t say it was twice as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather buy second hand if you can - get a better quality gun for the same money and it doesn’t lose a big chunk of what you paid as soon as you walk out the shop. 
 

Ive got an 11-87 for sale of your after one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I.ve got the hatsan escort 12 bore in 3inch mag and the armsan 620 in 20 bore 3 inch mag

don't be put off by what people tell you about them being poor quality **** excellent workmanship mine both shoot and eject empties with no problems whatever I feed them heavy or light loads 

Put over 6000 cartridges through them over the last 2 years and never had a problem with them 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or if you want to go the cheap-and-cheerful route: I bought a nearly-new Hatsan for £150 from a member on here.  Points ok, works well, not too cartridge fussy, kills things when I have it pointed where it should be.  If it gets scratched or marked out and about, so be it.  Not that it gets too many marks, as the barrel coating appears to be tough as old boots, and the synthetic stock seems fairly robust.

If I had a secondhand ‘higher value’ brand, I’d probably be a bit more wary about taking it out, which to me sort of defeats the point of a rough shooting gun.

Not that I consider myself rough on guns, you understand, but still.

That said, I made the mistake of shouldering a Benelli at the RFD the other day.  Now that, by comparison, was lighter, shorter, and just felt good.  I may have saved some searches on Guntrader… 

I also recently acquired a Mossberg 500 pump in 20g.  That shoots great, and handles really well.  Or it would, if it didn’t have a stonking great drainpipe made by Hushpower on the end of it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

plenty saying beretta,heres my opinion on the one i have which as previous post is an a300 outlander bought new about 10 years ago,its mechanicly very good thats the good point.the blackin is 3 rd rate and dont come anywere near the quality of the turkish guns ive had same with the wood,its like its from a pallet,compared to the stock of a yildiz i had, so for £850 that i paid its got the magic name an that about sums it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

plenty saying beretta,heres my opinion on the one i have which as previous post is an a300 outlander bought new about 10 years ago,its mechanicly very good thats the good point.the blackin is 3 rd rate and dont come anywere near the quality of the turkish guns ive had same with the wood,its like its from a pallet,compared to the stock of a yildiz i had, so for £850 that i paid its got the magic name an that about sums it up.

Beretta - you could sell it for £600? You can get parts, you have/ had a warrantee and reliability. 
 

On the other (Turkish) hand?     

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on your useage, your budget and how it feels to you. You could have the most expensive gun in the world with the best brand name but if it doesn't fit you it's a waste of money.

I buy guns to use, not for resale or to look pretty and sit in a cabinet, if they fit, they work, their reliable  easy to strip/clean and parts are available then that's my priority. 

Currently as a rough gun which I use 3 or 4 times a week I have a 2nd hand Hatsan semi. Nothing wrong with the Turkish guns and the quality just gets better, they're backed up with a good warranty if new from Edgar bros and easy available parts if needed. Depending on your taste they can be pretty, practical or both. They come in black, camo and wood. Advertised as recycling between 24gram and 66gram, they handle almost anything. Mine recycles 21gram although I'm told that's an exception. Best used with 70mm cartridges. No noticeable recoil unless you go over 42gram. Easy to strip, clean and reassemble. No reliability problems, that's a thing of the past, especially if you keep them clean.

 

20200723_092116.jpg

20200724_070847.jpg

20200723_091506.jpg

20200724_070912.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with centrepin on this. I currently have both premium names and budget names in my cabinet. Nothing at all wrong with Turkish manufacturing they are exactly what they say on the tin. The main point to note with a Turkish guns is the importer, if you buy a Hatsan for example, they are imported by Edgars, who in my experience have been great, others may not be. Some premium guns are imported by some names who have a well documented poor customer service, a quick google or trust pilot will confirm this, so don’t for one moment think more money equals better customer service.

I have just taken a gamble on a new W&S 912b (Turkish), for me, it’s the best fitting gun in my cabinet. The older models have an appalling reliability track record, but the importers have been great (I’m told) so fingers crossed this one is a good one.

You will lose money on any gun, regardless of it value, if you sell it quickly, 20% VAT the second you walk out the door. I justify this to myself as the 20% is the price I’m paying for warranty.

If I was in the market for a gas auto an escort would definitely be on my list, but my preference is for inertia ( I’m lazy and hate cleaning gas parts) so my mainstay Auto is a Franchi Affinity. 7 year warranty for a budget price.

Good luck with the search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, markm said:

Beretta - you could sell it for £600? You can get parts, you have/ had a warrantee and reliability. 
 

On the other (Turkish) hand?     

yes but i could sell my armsan,and only lose £200 on the deal as well,both are reliable,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

yes but i could sell my armsan,and only lose £200 on the deal as well,both are reliable,

Fair enough.
 

But I bet you can still get parts for a beretta from the 80’s or from dealers who have stripped part exchanges. 

 

Try that for a 30 year old Turkish gun. 
 

PS - until recently I had a revo 28g for my son. Nothing wrong with it, i’m not anti Turkish shotguns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for all the feedback,
I went to my local RFD yesterday to try a variety of semi auto shotguns he had in stock, including the remi 1100, Franchi, and Beretta and a wood stock Hatsan Semi Auto. The Hatsan was used rather than new and was priced the same as that of the Beretta A302. After trying all of the above guns the Beretta for me felt a better fit. I am now the proud owner of a 1980s Beretta A302 in very good condition there is only a very minor mark on the barrel and one ever so small one on the stock. The action looks like new and on inspecting all the moving components within the gun they also look new too.
Hopefully be able to take it out on the clays today but if not today then next weekend.

Thanks again for all your feedback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thompsn00 said:

Thanks very much for all the feedback,
I went to my local RFD yesterday to try a variety of semi auto shotguns he had in stock, including the remi 1100, Franchi, and Beretta and a wood stock Hatsan Semi Auto. The Hatsan was used rather than new and was priced the same as that of the Beretta A302. After trying all of the above guns the Beretta for me felt a better fit. I am now the proud owner of a 1980s Beretta A302 in very good condition there is only a very minor mark on the barrel and one ever so small one on the stock. The action looks like new and on inspecting all the moving components within the gun they also look new too.
Hopefully be able to take it out on the clays today but if not today then next weekend.

Thanks again for all your feedback. 

Good choice. Fabulous track record. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...