Boat wanted

eddoakley

Thinking of buying a boat.

Having had a look around a few options I'm thinking something like a Bayliner Ciera. Anything considered though.

Something like 27' would be ideal.

If anyone has or knows of anything for sale please get in touch.

Thanks

Edd

8 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Don’t have one for sale but did used to have a bayliner ciera 2655. Was brilliant fun.

Never had a boat before and to be honest know absolutely nothing about keeping one! I feel a steep learning curve coming.

Would the ciera be a good starting point?

Edd

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Never had a boat before and to be honest know absolutely nothing about keeping one! I feel a steep learning curve coming.

Would the ciera be a good starting point?

Edd

Depends how you are planning to use it. Sea, rivers/canals. Would you want to sleep on it? Is it just for fun? We started with a Fletcher Arrowsport gto, very fast but with a shallow hull it could only really be used if the sea was like a mill pond. Moved on to a jeanneau with a deep v hull so could use it if it was a bit choppy. We had the bayliner on the rivers/canal and it was a bit wasted. It had a 5.2l petrol v8 that was always just on pretty much idle. Lived on a narrow boat for 6 months and my dad has lived on one for the last 5 years. If you’re thinking of going canals/rivers it can get pricey pretty quickly with river licences and mooring fees.

Edited by JTaylor91

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Depends how you are planning to use it. Sea, rivers/canals. Would you want to sleep on it? Is it just for fun? We started with a Fletcher Arrowsport gto, very fast but with a shallow hull it could only really be used if the sea was like a mill pond. Moved on to a jeanneau with a deep v hull so could use it if it was a bit choppy. We had the bayliner on the rivers/canal and it was a bit wasted. It had a 5.2l petrol v8 that was always just on pretty much idle. Lived on a narrow boat for 6 months and my dad has lived on one for the last 5 years. If you’re thinking of going canals/rivers it can get pricey pretty quickly with river licences and mooring fees.

Just for a bit of fun/fishing.

Decided that all work and no play is not the way to be so just something for me to do as my pilots license is delayed.

Definitely for the sea although a friend knows a little bit about it and wants to do river stuff.

I'm thinking more of West Wales coast.  Sleep aboard occassionaly. 

I understand that 27' ok to tow so saving on fees there and also having the option to maintain/clean/improve closer to home.

I've looked at loads and the bayliner seems to tick more boxes than most others but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Edd

12 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Thinking of buying a boat.

Having had a look around a few options I'm thinking something like a Bayliner Ciera. Anything considered though.

Something like 27' would be ideal.

If anyone has or knows of anything for sale please get in touch.

Thanks

Edd

Try Boats & Outboards site

This is me far more fun than fishing 😍

DSCN1453.JPG

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Just for a bit of fun/fishing.

Decided that all work and no play is not the way to be so just something for me to do as my pilots license is delayed.

Definitely for the sea although a friend knows a little bit about it and wants to do river stuff.

I'm thinking more of West Wales coast.  Sleep aboard occassionaly. 

I understand that 27' ok to tow so saving on fees there and also having the option to maintain/clean/improve closer to home.

I've looked at loads and the bayliner seems to tick more boxes than most others but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Edd

The bayliner would be a good shout however. Towing it around could get tiring pretty quickly. They aren’t exactly small or light and you might be limited to what slipways you can use. Have a look at a jeanneau, they do all sorts. We used one for fishing/fun and it was a decent size while not being so cumbersome and heavy that it was a pain to tow, launch and retrieve.

The larger a trail able boat is over 22 ft the more inefficient it becomes in shape as it is limited in beam by the transport reg's. Key to use ability is the ease with which you can get it in the water. The larger the boat the more difficult to use a slipway as you will need more water under the transom to get it off the trailer without hitting the ramp. Also the larger the boat the greater the brake set up becomes, the deeper the trailer is likely to need to go into the water and the greater the associated problem maintaining the trailer. You can get it lifted but this is a fairly expensive operation if done for more than the start and end of the season. A mooring is a much more sensible route but factor in the annual maintenance of the mooring, the replacement lifespan of the gear (around 4 years) the ground rent if you buy it, or rental cost if you don't. 

Boats like many of the best things in life are usually better rented than owned but it still does not stop many thousands being bought and left on the hard unused. 

If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

I've owned a few boats and once owned a charter boat out of Brighton Marina. Best fishing boat I had was the Mitchell 31 MkII which I had for many years. Best smaller boat was the Orkney Fisher 24 with the Volvo engine. Best towed boat I owned was an Orkney 19 (just manageable single handed launch and retrieve).

If I won the lottery I would buy a Lochin 40 Sports Fisher the day after.

Current boat? 14ft Lowe aluminium flat bottomed Jon Boat for river fishing.

They are all money pits - but days afloat in your own boat do not count against your allotted span.

PS. Once you've got your Pilot's Licence back you've got plenty of things attracting notes out of your wallet.

PPS. Even if you buy a 40ft boat never fish with more than you and one other on the boat and never fish with someone who is less experienced fisher than you. You'll spend a lot more time fishing rather than sorting somebody else's tackle out.

Edited by Eyefor

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I can't contribute but this made me laugh🤣🤣👍👍

It's totally true. 

If you want to get the feeling of owning a boat, rent someone elses for the two weeks a year you will actually use it and then burn a £20 note every other night of the year. 

Two happiest days in every boat owners life. 

The day he buys it. 

The day he sells it. 

2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

It's totally true. 

If you want to get the feeling of owning a boat, rent someone elses for the two weeks a year you will actually use it and then burn a £20 note every other night of the year. 

Two happiest days in every boat owners life. 

The day he buys it. 

The day he sells it. 

🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

Haha. I've got the ones from the ad and a couple on my phone. I'll figure out how to post later.

It's out of the water but the trailer doesn't come with it so it's being put back in hopefully tomorrow and I should be able to use it (her?) next weekend.

Anyone know how to drive one?!?!? 

Seriously though I have no idea! A friend who has agreed to pay half has no idea either so we really are relying on some help from the (apparently very friendly) yacht club where we plan to keep it. Should be an interesting experience if nothing else.

The question about life jackets may be serious....

Anyone have any more sensible advice?

Edd

11 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Haha. I've got the ones from the ad and a couple on my phone. I'll figure out how to post later.

It's out of the water but the trailer doesn't come with it so it's being put back in hopefully tomorrow and I should be able to use it (her?) next weekend.

Anyone know how to drive one?!?!? 

Seriously though I have no idea! A friend who has agreed to pay half has no idea either so we really are relying on some help from the (apparently very friendly) yacht club where we plan to keep it. Should be an interesting experience if nothing else.

The question about life jackets may be serious....

Anyone have any more sensible advice?

Edd

Check out all the safety equipment flares vhf first aid and obviously a life jacket each 

Invest in some fenders 

Mine was a Four Winns 248 2001 model.

Slept four with the same 5.7 mercruiser I believe?

Was moored at Port St Lucia n South of France which wasn’t cheap, but comparable to UK prices though.

Coped well with 1m swell and found best just to trim her out and blast across the tops.

It is as they say though, floats flys or fonicates then it’s best to rent- but like most, we ‘rent’ before we settle with our wives, even though we know they are going to cost us big time!