W&S 912B

Taileron

Morning all,

A bit of a strange question to ask if you can bear with me. I popped into my local dealer last week to thank them for sorting out the Yildiz .410 for my little one and they had just taken delivery of a new W&S 912B. I was in the market for a rough gun so had a look, £599, steel action, multi choke, nice wood and fits really well out of the box, 3 year warranty, so I bought it. 

Took it out on the clays the following day to get my eye in,  simply unbelievable, couldn’t miss with the thing. My buddy had a go, he was the same, another friend had a go and he was the same, all of us were literally speechless. We all shot it better than our much higher value guns.

My question is this, is this a new design that W&S have come up with (as the media on the site suggests) or is it a very close clone of another gun? The reason I’m asking is that I shoot so well with this new gun and based on some reports stating that reliability of this brand can be quite poor, if this new gun drops to bits, I would very much like to buy whatever it was based on.

Many Thanks in advance.

9CDE1F0F-4B0F-433A-8033-7265E76F6B04.png

Hello, what is new to the design than the older model, did you try the latter? Sometimes when the gun you have been shooting with has just not quite worked out you find something that's just right, I had this with an old franchi 1980s O/U then tried a browning 525, 99% perfect fit, my yildiz is 90% but I can live with that, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

The only experience I have of these guns is based around ten years ago when my nephews mates were buying them, as being young lads they were all they could afford. They all experienced double discharge problems which couldn’t be rectified. 
They're all working men now and have premium brand makes. 
Quality may have improved with these guns now. 

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what is new to the design than the older model, did you try the latter?

No, I didn’t try the older model, no availability. The dealer and the site says it’s a completely new design? It looks very similar to the older version.

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Quality may have improved with these guns now. 

That’s what I’m hoping. My RFD has quizzed the importer who was keen to point out that production has been shifted to a new facility due to the reliability issues of old.

11 hours ago, johnphilip said:

It sure looks a lot of gun , for so little money . Wish you well with it .

Thanks, hopefully it will prove to be reliable.

Looks the same as the 920K my son uses.  I bought it for him about 3 years ago and I have to say its been faultless not a single problem with it, and it must have had thousands of rounds through it by now.  I have used it in the hide a few times (with a slip on stock extender as its junior stocked) but yes I agree I have been very very impressed with the gun.  Actually the boy has kind of outgrown it and wants to move up to a 12 bore so reluctantly I may sell it as he has been shooting my Beretta 686 recently but perhaps I'll buy him another W&S in 12 bore and full sized stock!

4 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Looks the same as the 920K my son uses.  I bought it for him about 3 years ago and I have to say its been faultless not a single problem with it, and it must have had thousands of rounds through it by now.

That’s great to hear, gives me confidence in the build quality. I have probably put 2 slabs through mine so far (with the assistance of my mates) and we are all agreed its lovely to shoot. I’m told they are now made by Akkar, not sure if that’s a good thing or not? I handled a Akkar Triple crown at the shooting show, purely for the novelty factor, it seemed to be built like a tank.

To be honest I have had more problems recently with my higher end guns recently than either of the 2 turkish ones I own (one being the W&S the other a Yildiz .410) so I wouldn't worry about who the actually manufacturer is.  A friend of mine who I shoot with uses his ATA SuperSport now all the time and he also has an F3!

Tempting, I will have to go and take a look at these new Webleys.. 

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would post an honest update on this gun, if anyone was thinking of buying one.

So far it’s had about 1.5k of carts through it ranging from some 21g lights to 36g pigeon carts. Mechanically it’s not missed a beat, lovely clean ejections and the trigger pulls have seemed to have become a bit less spongy and it locks up nice.

Cosmetically it’s a different story, I took it out and the heavens opened, we were absolutely soaked, water had got inside the action. It was dried thoroughly and put into a dry slip on the way home but the damage was done. All of the woodwork was in a real state and had swollen quite considerably ( could barely get the fore end off ) and the finish was trashed. I spent some time drying out the wood slowly then had to rub it all down with OO wire wool, retreat with boiled linseed and wax finish with renaissance wax. It now looks as good as new, however, perhaps my expectations were a little too high and I thought it would not take such a beating in the rain. Would I buy another? Yes,  but I would put the work in prior and treat the wood before use, should I have to do this? Probably not.