dog coller

marmite

49 minutes ago, Douburr said:

If they are Banned eBay are breaking the Law because there are still plenty for sell on there ??

I didn't mean they were already banned, I thought the legislation was underway to introduce a ban on them because back in 2018 the government had already backed banning their use. I suppose that doesn't mean they won't do a full U turn now that the government has a new prime minister.

20200724_091858.jpg

31 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I didn't mean they were already banned, I thought the legislation was underway to introduce a ban on them because back in 2018 the government had already backed banning their use. I suppose that doesn't mean they won't do a full U turn now that the government has a new prime minister.

20200724_091858.jpg

It never happened. 

They are banned in Wales, and possibly Scotland I believe. 

For anyone who has actually seen and used (a good quality) one, you’ll see it’s not a torture device but a tool that can be used to prompt in training. I used one on myself, it went from 1-127 and I was well above 60+ before I could feel it anymore than a tingle like getting pins and needles.  

I would not trust a cheap £30 Chinese made one as they are cheap for a reason, and have the possibility of going horribly wrong. As we know in dog training timing is everything. 

I would look at the Dogtra stuff, expect to pay up-to £200+ or more for a high quality unit. However I would be very very aware and informed of how to use it, what exactly your trying to achieve and how the collar may be interpreted by the dog. 

For sorting issues like sheep chasing or similar I’m not sure you could get a better tool, although used in that context they certainly aren’t used as a prompt. 

The above responses are correct. The only time an electric collar should be used is if the dog does something when it thinks you are not there. Running in is not a reason, you are literally at its side. I’ve seen them used on grouse Moor when dogs (which are working 100s of metres away) worry sheep. Even then I think it is lazy, livestock training needs to be done when a pup is young enough for you to catch it should the worse happen. 

This is not the way to go. A dog that runs in demonstrates that you have not got the basics right and introduced the dog to game and shoot days too soon. You go back to basics and the minute the dog moves you make it very clear it is not acceptable. I recommend using a paracord long line. It is light enough for the dog not to feel it but strong enough to stop the dog if it runs in and you can make it clear what is expected.

Go back to basics, take your time.....and change your trainer.

Good luck