learner driver

myhvslr

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i don't think it was much more than mine at the time

Added as a named driver it might be ok. 

I lost all my no claims because I didn't have insurance for a while. Bought myself the cheapest 1.2l car I could find and despite the fact I was over 40 and had had a licence for over 20 years some of the quotes were ridiculous. Although I eventually found something fairly reasonable it was still more than I had paid for the car.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Added as a named driver it might be ok. 

I lost all my no claims because I didn't have insurance for a while. Bought myself the cheapest 1.2l car I could find and despite the fact I was over 40 and had had a licence for over 20 years some of the quotes were ridiculous. Although I eventually found something fairly reasonable it was still more than I had paid for the car.

This is the cheapest option BUT if the insurers find out (and they probably will) that most of the driving has been done by said learner, they will refuse to pay out, should anything happen. That little trick of making them a named driver, but them essentially being the sole driver was closed a few years ago. 

24 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

This is the cheapest option BUT if the insurers find out (and they probably will) that most of the driving has been done by said learner, they will refuse to pay out, should anything happen. That little trick of making them a named driver, but them essentially being the sole driver was closed a few years ago. 

Indeed. I wasn't really suggesting that the OP should do that on an old banger. More just replying to oldy's comments about the price of insurance for a learner.

23 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i would shop around for the cheapest insurance but advise against buying a old banger safety is more important than cash my daughter wrapped more than one car up as a learner 

A 15 year old car will still have very high inbuilt safety standards. We're not talking about buying something from the 1970's lol.

I do not know the details but two mates with daughters both signed up to some sort of gadget / software that monitored the learner drivers driving. This was fed directly to the insurance company. It made a reduction in their insurance premiums. Perhaps a PW member knows the details and can post them.

There are some specific insurers that offer day/week/xxxx days insurance that you take out on top of your own - one is https://www.dayinsure.com/ although there are others I have seen (https://www.google.com/search?q=learner+driver+insurance&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB866GB866&oq=learner+driver+insurance&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.12982j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

Also, Arnold Clarke do hire cars (by the hour) that have all the insurance included. This may be a better option. I know this is what I am going to do with my lad. https://www.arnoldclarkrental.com/dual-control-hire?source=home&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjer4BRCZARIsABK4QeXOTesEGkXkCS5vfmOpLxIKcTQuhlkKKIoR8Yr6Bj-JzFwA9o8hsd0aAj_JEALw_wcB 

buy every time

you need to get something like a ford fiesta 1.2 about 10-15 years old if it gets a dent or two its not the end of the world to scrap it

plenty of them cheap for sale normally a good car for learners and loads of spares around  if you need them 

insurance will be very heavy for the first couple of years tho  leasing will eventually cost you more

I actually got my daughter a cat d/n repaired car it is a fiesta 1.2 with very low mileage (12k) on a 12 plate  fully repaired (it had a back end shunt not a big one I saw the before and after pictures) it cost me £2500 two years ago   the plan was to get her to learn to drive  and keep the car as a runaround as it will be worth peanuts in a few years 

her first year insurance was actually 10 months and it was £1200  the second year it dropped to 12 months for £789  the car has turned out to be a fantastic reliable cheap car that will serve her for a good few years more

I'm gonna tell you a story, in fact 2. 

1st a young lad passed his test that used to work for us, his 1st car was an Impreza, we all commented on him wrapping it round a tree withing a few weeks. 

"Im OK im a good safe driver" 

Yes we thought heard that before, 3 weeks he had rolled in into a ditch and into a tree, he was OK but car was scrapped. 

2nd, a young girl,a, gain were i work, passed her test and got a nice brand new VW Polo on lease, 2 weeks, went over Walton Bridge (on old Bailey bridge very narrow) and ripped the door and panels all down 1 side. 

You start to learn to drive when you have passed your test.

Get an old banger, safe and kind of as reliable as you can. 

Small/underpowered engine doesn't automatically mean cheap insurance.

A few years back I had an 2010 Alfa Romeo 159 turbo, from memory the insurance was around £400 for the year, which I even now look back as reasonable as it's now £300 a year for my 2.0 diesel golf.

When I sold the Alfa I had a look at a 2010 diesel Astra and the cheapest quote I could get was touching £900 😂

I actually called to see if there was some sort of mistake and got all the excuses, including that the astra would be expensive to repair in the event of an accident, more so than an Alfa Romeo it would seem 😂  needless to say I didn't buy the Astra. 

Edited by Farmboy91
Spelling

10 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

A few years back I had an 2010 Alfa Romeo 159 turbo, from memory the insurance was around £400 for the year, which I even now look back as reasonable as it's now £300 a year for my 2.0 diesel golf.

When I sold the Alfa I had a look at a 2010 diesel Astra and the cheapest quote I could get was touching £900 😂

I actually called to see if there was some sort of mistake and got all the excuses, including that the astra would be expensive to repair in the event of an accident, more so than an Alfa Romeo it would seem 😂  needless to say I didn't buy the Astra. 

You have to go for cars that no young person would want. If statistics (along with where you live/mileage/park/job.....) show most young drivers will have an accident in fiesta/corsa/astra..... then that will inflate your car.

In a FB forum I am on there was a 21 year old with a marque who actually had sub £1k insurance - why because it was a car they had very little statistics on for his age group - it was a Jag...

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

To be fair though, it was an Alfa Romeo. They probably only expected it to be running a third of the year, so there wasn't any point in charging you for the other two thirds it spent in the garage

Edited by chrisjpainter

9 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

To be fair though, it was an Alfa Romeo. They probably only expected it to be running a third of the year, so there wasn't any point in charging you for the other two thirds it spent in the garage

:lol:

2 hours ago, discobob said:

You have to go for cars that no young person would want. If statistics (along with where you live/mileage/park/job.....) show most young drivers will have an accident in fiesta/corsa/astra..... then that will inflate your car.

In a FB forum I am on there was a 21 year old with a marque who actually had sub £1k insurance - why because it was a car they had very little statistics on for his age group - it was a Jag...

Which makes the whole NCD pretty pointless.

50 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

40 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

:lol:

Jealousy is a fickle mistress....

I can hand on heart say I never had one issue with the reliability of that car. I was told it was Alfa's own 1750cc engine and designed by the bloke who done the 5 series.

I'd have another in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I can hand on heart say I never had one issue with the reliability of that car. I was told it was Alfa's own 1750cc engine and designed by the bloke who done the 5 series.

Would love an Alfa, nearly bought one about 12 years ago, like the new ones but out of my price range nowadays!

lol. No jealousy here. I have my dream car, at least ignoring genuine supercars. Until I win the lottery I'm happy enough with my 2.7l  V6 Hyundai Coupe.

Pretty standard quip about Alfa reliability, Clarkson and co joked about it all the time.

13 minutes ago, discobob said:

Would love an Alfa, nearly bought one about 12 years ago, like the new ones but out of my price range nowadays!

Do it before they ban cars like that.

I'd always wanted one too, I've only got one picture of it and will post if I can find it. 

7 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

lol. No jealousy here. I have my dream car, at least ignoring genuine supercars. Until I win the lottery I'm happy enough with my 2.7l  V6 Hyundai Coupe.

Pretty standard quip about Alfa reliability, Clarkson and co joked about it all the time.

My reply was in jest, super cars have never appealed to me at all, the Alfa always did feel special. You could not walk away from it without looking back.

My reply was in jest, super cars have never appealed to me at all, the Alfa always did feel special. You could not walk away from it without looking back.

I suspected it was, can't always tell though. :)

I do quite like the looks of the Alfa Romeo 4C although Clarkson's review of it didn't make it seem much of a fun day to day drive.

The Alfa I'd really want is the 8c but with only 500 of them made I'm definitely waiting for that lottery win.