The law doesn't apply to politicians

JohnfromUK

6 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

only a fool walks into any bank whilst wearing a mask.

Not what the law says; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

Face coverings must be worn in enclosed public spaces in England from 24 July.

This includes shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, banks, building societies and post offices. It extends to train and bus stations and airports.

Customers must wear a face covering before entering any shop and must keep it on until they leave.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not what the law says; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51205344

Face coverings must be worn in enclosed public spaces in England from 24 July.

This includes shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, banks, building societies and post offices. It extends to train and bus stations and airports.

Customers must wear a face covering before entering any shop and must keep it on until they leave.

Banks. Yes I see it as above in red. But IMHO as Dickens's Mr Bumble said, then "If the law supposes that the law is an donkey".

Why can't I write ***? So I've had to put donkey. Which isn't what Dickens used.

Edited by enfieldspares

I recently heard that a farmer had some very expensive equipment stolen from his farm. It had tracers fitted and they had trail cam footage of the criminals and their vehicle.  The police did not want to know and they had to go and retrieve the property themselves .....................THEN your telling me the police have the time to swan around outside and inside supermarkets isuing tickets for not wearing a mask.   This country is certainly going to the dogs with the government making decisions drawn up on the back of a fag packet.

So can someone, preferably a politician, firstly explain the reason why we need to wear masks.  Simple enough question. Then explain why there is an exemption for bars, pubs, restaurants?  I know people want to eat, drink and make merry....but there's the rub!  After a few pints or three, people move closer to their mates and become less inhibited, thereby increasing the risk of transmitting this (supposed) virus!  The pub down the road from me recently re-opened and I could see people stood at the bar, practically toe to toe!  I'm coming to the conclusion that this mask wearing, social distancing and bubble malarkey is not to control the virus.  It's to control us, the plebs.  It'll be compulsory 'anti viral' injections next. Conspiracy nutcase, moi?  Perhaps....but wait till next week and see what they impose on us then!  Btw, I haven't had a drink....in case you're wondering!   

So can someone, preferably a politician, firstly explain the reason why we need to wear masks.  Simple enough question.

Simple enough answer - it is the law. You don't pick and choose which laws you obey. You might not agree with any particular law, but you change it by lobbying and voting.

The only reason that mask wearing has come in, is to try to give joe public confidence and get them back out into shops to spend.  If masks are that effective we could of all worn one and not have had to go into a three month lock down.

16 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I find it all very petty, they're people, people aren't perfect. That includes Cummings and Corbyn.

It is, but, and I'm very aware of the irony in this statement, they started it. They were relentless going after Cummings and he only potentially broke guidelines. Corbyn has been stupid enough to break an actual law and has been photographed doing so.  He should be fined, at the very least.

Politicians may just be people but they are the ones who make laws and much like the police who enforce them they have to appear whiter than white (can I still say that?) or expect a ton of criticism.

However I hear he is in rather more trouble over the Panorama report. Interesting times for Comrade Corbyn.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

They were relentless going after Cummings and he only potentially broke guidelines.

THIS /\ - which is why I originally posted it.

Cummings was stupid - no doubt about that, and arrogant in his response.  But he is an unelected 'advisor'.  He apparently didn't break the law (so the police have agreed), and was actually reasonably sensible in not putting people at risk.  BUT the gutter press had it all as front page stuff for days .......... - it was top item on all the TV news.

Corby, on the other hand, only a few months ago was trying to be the Prime Minister.  He fairly clearly DID break the law, both in an Italian deli shop and a bank.  And yet it gets just a few column inches in a second rate paper.

Shows how the press will hound the government and give sympathetic treatment to the lefty opposition parties.

15 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

So can someone, preferably a politician, firstly explain the reason why we need to wear masks.  Simple enough question. 

Why would anybody not choose to wear a mask? Why do we look both ways before crossing the road? why do we wash our hands after taking a dump? why do we brush our teeth?  why do we lock the back door before going to bed?

Edited by Vince Green

7 hours ago, Pistol p said:

Its just common decency and consideration to wear a mask at the moment. 

A pretty feeble excuse to see the salami slicing away of your civil liberties and rights. Masks today, what tomorrow?

Why are prople going along with something so intrusive for what there is no scientific evidence to support? Honestly, wearing a damp old piece of t-shirt loosely around your face to 'protects you from sub-microscopic particles. Its madness and people are just going along with it.

23 minutes ago, treetree said:

Honestly, wearing a damp old piece of t-shirt loosely around your face to 'protects you from sub-microscopic particles.

That isn't what it is there for at all.

It is go protect others from the (not microscopic) droplets, spittle etc. from coughs and sneezes etc.

I agree it makes little sense to start now, but 'madness' in isn't.  It is hardly a major intrusion and might assist in saving an occasional person from  getting ill.  I will wear mine where the rules require it.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

That isn't what it is there for at all.

It is go protect others from the (not microscopic) droplets, spittle etc. from coughs and sneezes etc.

I agree it makes little sense to start now, but 'madness' in isn't.  It is hardly a major intrusion and might assist in saving an occasional person from  getting ill.  I will wear mine where the rules require it.

More superstition than science, and those who are willing to wear a soggy face nappy to 'protect' against a virus with an extremely low mortality rate, that a low number of people have, 4 months into a 'pandemic' are not sleepwalking into a future with the severe curtailment of personal freedoms, but are actively willing it on.

6 minutes ago, treetree said:

More superstition than science, and those who are willing to wear a soggy face nappy to 'protect' against a virus with an extremely low mortality rate, that a low number of people have, 4 months into a 'pandemic' are not sleepwalking into a future with the severe curtailment of personal freedoms, but are actively willing it on.

Superstition seems to have stopped major outbreaks in a lot of oriental nations where mask wearing is very common.

As for personal freedoms, given the recent use of facial recognition software by the Met police a mask actually protects some of your freedoms.

You'll be saying next that Trump is using secret police to arrest protesters in Portland.

9 minutes ago, treetree said:

are not sleepwalking into a future with the severe curtailment of personal freedoms

Utter nonsense; it is not a "severe curtailment of personal freedoms" - just a sensible precaution.  You can function quite normally with a mask.  It is not a severe anything.  It is also currently the LAW unless you happen to have a medical or similar reason not to wear one.

If it wasn't the law, I probably wouldn't wear one either, but it is, so I do (where it is called for), and it doesn't cause any significant (let alone severe) curtailment of personal freedoms.

I presume you follow the law on firearms, drink drive, seatbelts, not using phone whilst driving, speed limits etc?

Well - it is a similar issue - there are rules set - you follow them (even if you don't fully agree - they are still the law).  If you disregard the rules - you may face penalties.