Sign in to follow this  
spandit

Norica folding 410 firing pin

My hammer action folding 410 failed to fire the other day. I'm wondering if the firing pin is a bit worn. Any recommendations on how to get a new one? Spring seems powerful enough and it's all lubed and moving freely

Posted (edited)

Hello, my old double 410 did that, the pin did not have much depth on the breech face to indent the cartridge so a bit of filing and tidy up the pin it worked OK, how far is the pin protruding? Fire off holding a bit of brass sheet or? on the pinhole

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my old double 410 did that, the pin did not have much depth on the breech face to indent the cartridge so a bit of filing and tidy up the pin it worked OK, how far is the pin protruding? 

I need to work out how to take the pin out - I'm hoping there's a hidden screw once I take the trigger etc. off. It's a floating pin

Edited by spandit

2 minutes ago, spandit said:

I need to work out how to take the pin out - I'm hoping there's a hidden screw once I take the trigger etc. off.

Hello, OK well hope you get sorted👍

Took it all apart which was considerably quicker than putting it back together again. Couldn't see any muck but have oiled it all up and will try again. It might be the ammunition that's a bit dodgy

8 hours ago, spandit said:

Any recommendations on how to get a new one? 

Don't know anyone with a small lathe out in their barn do you?

Just now, 1066 said:

Don't know anyone with a small lathe out in their barn do you?

Now that I've seen how simple a piece it is, I can probably make a new one - but don't they need to be hardened?

Yes, hardened would be good. find a really old screwdriver or something like, anneal it red hot for a few mins then cool slowly. Should then be able to turn it up. Heat the finished bit red hot and plunge into oil. May need to temper the hammer end a little.

Got to take the whole damn thing apart again now as didn't measure the existing one... 😬

I made a firing pin for a old 20 bore I had. Very easy to do, I used a old drill bit of the right diameter 👍

16 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, did you manage to fix your 410?

Hello. No, not yet. Had a lot on.