Sign in to follow this  
gmm243

4 x 4 advice

I tend to think that most cars/trucks are much the same rather than going for a make or model just look for the one that does what you need it to that is in the best condition that is what matters in the end how many miles has it got on the clock and has it get rust on it in the end it is up to you.

If you want the most reliable and toughest 4x4 around you wont go wrong with a Landcruiser Amazon, mines done 250000 miles and just run in nicely, never let me down yet.

Tick for Honda CRV also Landrover Freelander 2, I've had 2 of each but now sold on the Freelander 2. Both have similar room inside

What about a 5 door Toyota rav 4 ? I’m in the same boat and not sure what to get 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What about a Dacia Duster? 

Round here just lately you can’t go out without seeing one. A friend had one and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Round here just lately you can’t go out without seeing one. A friend had one and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I have been dithering for years now but got a big promotion recently so finally starting to look for another car. 

I was seriously looking at the Honda CRV until a met a bloke in my new job who's a semi-pro mole catcher who has a 4x4 Dacia Duster and was saying how good it was, apparently has a creeper mode or something off-road where it goes real slow when on soft ground without you revving (and wheel spinning) and gets you out of some tight spots. 

Not sure how big the ground clearance is. 

Scrap that on the Duster. 

I just drove a Duster 4x4, 2015 Lauriette Prime (bloke claimed it was top spec at the time made but I’m not so sure). 

It was priced at just under £9,000. 

The gear changes were clunky and juddered a bit, not very smooth at all. 

Doing just over about 30/35mph and the car was asking to be shifted up into 5th gear. 

Was also a bit too easy to steer side by side / wobbly on the motorway doing about 80mph. 

The inside was very basic and the on-board system was garbage. 

Now I wasn’t expecting it to have everything at the price point it was advertised for but I must say I was very disappointed. 

I would have Driven a newer one with the new engine as I wasn’t fixed on that price, it’s just that was the only 4x4 Duster they had in the whole place.

They reckon the new one is better and has a new engine... however they didn’t have one so wasn’t any option. 

Im not sure if the improvements are going to be that significant mind. 

I bought a 2014 Duster Laureate with low miles last year. Haven’t really properly had it offroad yet and probably won’t ever :D

The Laureate was the predecessor of the current Prestige model. Must say the 1.5DCi diesel engine is reasonably punchy. I get around 40mpg but I drive mostly shortish motorway trips.

1 hour ago, humperdingle said:

I bought a 2014 Duster Laureate with low miles last year. Haven’t really properly had it offroad yet and probably won’t ever :D

The Laureate was the predecessor of the current Prestige model. Must say the 1.5DCi diesel engine is reasonably punchy. I get around 40mpg but I drive mostly shortish motorway trips.

What was the clutch and gear changes like? 

This one had a tow bar on it, my cousin says that it might just have been ‘shagged’ as he calls it. Clutch and gear changing wasn’t great. 

I am going to try looking at a newer or different one before giving up on them. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

This one had a tow bar on it, my cousin says that it might just have been ‘shagged’ as he calls it. Clutch and gear changing wasn’t great. 

Gears and clutch are fine. I suppose it depends what you’re used to aswell.

Only 20k miles or so on mine, so pretty low for a 2014. The logbook stamps show average yearly mileage of around 3.5k

It was pretty immaculate when I got it. Poor thing doesn’t get quite as pampered by me :D

Only issue really, is that the air con compressor needs sorted, but we don’t get much call for it up here!

Edited by humperdingle

On 30/07/2020 at 17:19, Lloyd90 said:

I think that it is always a good idea to not just drive one and think that they are no good if you can find another one you may like it also have you thought about that leasing one a while ago they was doing what seemed like a cracking deal to me I thought about it myself but I just do not do enough miles to make it worth while.

1 hour ago, four-wheel-drive said:

I think that it is always a good idea to not just drive one and think that they are no good if you can find another one you may like it also have you thought about that leasing one a while ago they was doing what seemed like a cracking deal to me I thought about it myself but I just do not do enough miles to make it worth while.

I'm going to drive the 2017+ model with the different engine and see if its any better.