Boots

sam triple

By far the best boots I have ever owned where Meindle. Frighteningly expensive these days. I purchased mine at Cabela's in the USA when the £ was standing at $1.95.  I now wear wellies on wet days and I have a pair of slip on work shoes £30 which I wear until they fall apart.  Your range of use covers many possibilities and really may involve two different pairs of boots..

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

By far the best boots I have ever owned where Meindle. Frighteningly expensive these days. I purchased mine at Cabela's in the USA when the £ was standing at $1.95.  I now wear wellies on wet days and I have a pair of slip on work shoes £30 which I wear until they fall apart.  Your range of use covers many possibilities and really may involve two different pairs of boots..

Yes I’ve got a pair of hoggs wellies for winter but need something for the rest of the year that will last more than 6 months 

Danners, cost a fortune, last a lifetime.

Unconditional use guarantee.

Mine are around 25 years old and still in perfect condition despite a regular hammering. Army use before regular shooting, fishing and other stuff.

My son however prefers Lowa, cheaper, and they last tween 2 and 3 years. He works in his, beats, shoots, walks the dogs etc etc.

On 26/07/2020 at 10:06, Walker570 said:

I have Meindle for walking and stalking but mostly wear wellies or slip on grubs or muck boots. They rarely last a year though so I make sure to keep the receipts. Boots can be great until covered in filth you arrive back at the car or back door and need to take them off. 

I bought a pair of  Grisport Gamekeeper boots a couple of weeks ago, happy with them so far, did 7 1/2 miles yesterday, very comfortable. Outdoor Action at Blackburn had them in stock at £139 and was able to try them on first.  Have a search on YouTube, there is a decent review of them on there.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

I bought a pair of  Grisport Gamekeeper boots a couple of weeks ago, happy with them so far, did 7 1/2 miles yesterday, very comfortable. Outdoor Action at Blackburn had them in stock at £139 and was able to try them on first.  Have a search on YouTube, there is a decent review of them on there.

Nice one

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 12:10, Mr grumpy said:

Save up and stretch to a pair of meindl.you wont regret it.

My wife and I both bought Meindl and after a while agreed that there was not enough room between the sole and upper so our feet felt cramped.

Harkila? expensive boots, sold as waterproof but when they leaked the company didn't want to know, I know of several people on a couple of shoots who wouldn't touch them again for this reason.

Fell walking boots? generally the pricier ones are too heavy. I'm currently wearing Scarpa hiking boots which have been comfortable, lightweight and waterproof although one of the seams is coming undone, next time I'd go for the style of boot with very few seams, similar to below. I have had a couple of pairs of Scarpa's and they have remained waterproof longer than any other.

Capturecc.JPG.01919dfc4cc2741a732b7f9fe4f9a2ca.JPG

10 minutes ago, martinj said:

My wife and I both bought Meindl and after a while agreed that there was not enough room between the sole and upper so our feet felt cramped.

Harkila? expensive boots, sold as waterproof but when they leaked the company didn't want to know, I know of several people on a couple of shoots who wouldn't touch them again for this reason.

Fell walking boots? generally the pricier ones are too heavy. I'm currently wearing Scarpa hiking boots which have been comfortable, lightweight and waterproof although one of the seams is coming undone, next time I'd go for the style of boot with very few seams, similar to below. I have had a couple of pairs of Scarpa's and they have remained waterproof longer than any other.

Capturecc.JPG.01919dfc4cc2741a732b7f9fe4f9a2ca.JPG

I currently have Meindl Dovre Extreme, which I’ve worn for three seasons now both for shooting and beating. They take some beating in my opinion. 
I still have a pair of LeChameau which I bought because of the extended rubber toe piece after saying I’d never have another pair after two previous pairs split in that area. The current pair are only fit for dry weather work now, so that’s it for me as far as that company is concerned. 
Harkila were the most comfortable pair I’d had, but heel leaks put paid to the first pair and also the second I was given as a replacement. 
I also have a pair of Scarpa lightweight walking boots; they’ve never been ‘off road’ but have done two European city breaks plus much dog walking. They are comfortable and waterproof and I have no doubt they’ll do a good holidays walking in Scotland yet. 
Gronel make good boots as do Matterhorn.