The Case for a NEW Treason Offence!

TIGHTCHOKE

I like Paul Goodman's writing, here is a recent one.

The Government is preparing to overhaul Britain’s security laws, utilising work done on them by Sajid Javid when he was Home Secretary, who in turn will then have seen research by Policy Exchange.

We wait to see what the legislation contains, but the plans seem to fall into three parts.  First, an overhaul of the Official Secrets Act.  Second, an updating of the espionage laws, which will be carried out largely with state actors, such as China and Russia, in mind.  Third, a new treason offence.

Its origins lie in the return to Britain of Islamist terrorists who fought abroad with ISIS.  Ministers believe that the present legal framework isn’t fit for purpose if prosecutions are to be successful.  The recent Court of Appeal judgement on Shamima Begum’s case doubtless explains why we are reading about revised laws now.

At any rate, the original Policy Exchange proposal was supported by a former Home Secretary, Amber Rudd; a former head of MI5, Lord Evans; a former Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Judge, and former head of counter-terrorism at Scotland Yard, Richard Walton.

Tom Tugendhat, one of the authors of that report, Aiding the Enemy, was out and about in the Sunday Times yesterday, concentrating largely on espionage – and writing as he did so “pinstriped fixers, lawyers and silver-tongued svengalis are pocketing money” are doing the bidding of hostile foreign governments.

Meanwhile, Javid was busy in the Mail on Sunday, covering the same themes, and arguing that we need to repurpose “our ancient treason laws to cover Britons who operate on behalf of a hostile nation or go abroad to fight alongside terrorist groups”.

That would cover Hezbollah and Hamas, as well as ISIS and Al Qaeda.  It will doubtless be argued that Britain shouldn’t be in the business of legislating for loyalty oaths, or giving terror groups the same status as foreign governments.

But if you think about it, the loyalty oath claim is a red herring, since what would be required is not a pledge of allegiance to Britain, but the shunning of terror aimed at our troops or civilians.  (The form of words that Javid used would appear to cover fighting alongside terror groups, period – whether against British citizens or not.)

We expect that it will also be claimed that a new treason offence will be “bad for community relations” – i.e: that British Muslims will be opposed to it, though it will certainly go down well among others in Blue Wall seats, as we must now call them, and elsewhere.

A modernised treason offence would certainly be to the point.  Islamist extremism has no room within it for attachment to nation states – what matters is the worldwide community of Muslims, led from its present ignorance, as the extremists see it, to the politicised and ideological version of Islam which they themselves propagate.

(This use of religion rather than nationality as a catch-all definer explains why they identify Jews with Israel, by the way – despite the fact that not all Jews live there and many aren’t Zionists at all.  Hence the Hypercacher kosher supermarket siege in Paris in 2015, and the 2008 massacre at a Jewish outreach centre in Mumbai.)

We anticipate, too, that forcing lobbyists who work for foreign governments to register; toughening up rules on registering interests in the Lords or work undertaken by former Ministers, and slowing, say, the flow of Chinese money into our universities and civil society will also be resisted.  A sign of how much new measures are needed.

5 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Didn’t committing a treasonable offence use to carry the death penalty? If so reintroduce that and maybe just maybe that’ll stop a few of em 

It did. Blair had it changed. Maybe he was worried about something. :whistling:

Jeff Taylor did a piece on this too. A side benefit would appear to be that the new laws would have to be repealed before we could rejoin the EU.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

It did. Blair had it changed. Maybe he was worried about something. :whistling:

Jeff Taylor did a piece on this too. A side benefit would appear to be that the new laws would have to be repealed before we could rejoin the EU.

Yeah after hearing Blair should be worried , seems like good news all round if it gets passed 

My belief is that the vast majority of folk that live in this country, however long they have been here and from whatever roots, just want a safe place to live and work and will have absolutely no objection to a strong and robust set of treason laws.

The few that will have an issue, unlike some regimes,  also have the choice to leave freely, whenever they wish.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

My belief is that the vast majority of folk that live in this country, however long they have been here and from whatever roots, just want a safe place to live and work and will have absolutely no objection to a strong and robust set of treason laws.

The few that will have an issue, unlike some regimes,  also have the choice to leave freely, whenever they wish.

^^^^^ This. Unfortunately the few that have an issue will probably have to be rooted out and brought to book as they are unlikely to leave by their own accord and the last thing we want to do is be exporting terrorist sympathiser / atavists. 

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Didn’t committing a treasonable offence use to carry the death penalty? If so reintroduce that and maybe just maybe that’ll stop a few of em 

I reckon we need a special penal colony to send them too. We must have an unpleasant island somewhere that we can incarcerate them.

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

^^^^^ This. Unfortunately the few that have an issue will probably have to be rooted out and brought to book as they are unlikely to leave by their own accord and the last thing we want to do is be exporting terrorist sympathiser / atavists. 

I reckon we need a special penal colony to send them too. We must have an unpleasant island somewhere that we can incarcerate them.

The last thing? I would rather they went back whence they came than sit here planning their atrosities.

Isle of Man and Australia, have all been used before

8 hours ago, oowee said:

How about a redundant oil rig in the North Sea.  Supplies could be dropped off once a month, then it's survival of the fittest!  A living hell just being there....and NO vestal virgins waiting for them!  The other sick members of society could also be deposited there.  No human rights, no one to complain to!  No prison officers in the line of fire either!   C'mon Boris...you know it makes sense!

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i love a good hangin..........nice day out.......no fun watching it on TV...much better live:good:

i shall be raising a pertion to be raised in parliament that Blair opens the count

My quill is poised to sign your petition, Mr Ditchy, sir!  Just as long as Bush is stood there next to him.  A few million innocent Iraqis and Afghans will also be happy with that arrangement!

2 minutes ago, DoolinDalton said:

My quill is poised to sign your petition, Mr Ditchy, sir!  Just as long as Bush is stood there next to him.  A few million innocent Iraqis and Afghans will also be happy with that arrangement!

bush will be pushing the lever..........the british govt will do a deal with him

19 hours ago, oowee said:

Isn't there an island that is uninhabitable that they conducted Anthrax trials on - here we go - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island - ****** - they have decontaminated it 😞