Diahatsu Fourtrak

Medic1281

Edgehill shooting ground north of Banbury uses Daihatsu MOT failures as the trap mounting platform of choice, spread all over the beautiful north Oxfordshire valley.

I do recall working for a Ford dealer (Wests of Thame - long since gone) years ago and they had a Daihatsu dealership - I borrowed a Fourtrak a few times, was a really capable vehicle, can remember snatching a LR of some description out of a shale ditch half way up a welsh mountain with  one and a long tow rope.    Only downside I can recall was a pitifully small fuel tank... 

Just now, London Best said:

Having had Land Rovers since 1976 my opinion is that any one under £3k is a scrapper!

Exactly. Father in law has dementia, not too bad yet but getting worse. He’s at that awkward stage where we’re trying to restrict things a bit but he’s still capable. He needs a 4wd so he can do some fencing on the farm, Move the odd trailer around and drive to the village. He’s not likely to be driving For many more years. That’s why we’re looking for a basic 4wd, that’s likely to be scrapped in a few years and that we don’t mind the odd knock or bump around the farm. That’s why we’re looking sub £3k. Looked at a swb shogun today, but that had an immobiliser that you needed to do something with. He’d forget this, then dismantle the car trying to get it started!!

It’s a nightmare scenario at the moment as he’s not bad enough to take everything from him, but he does need keeping an eye on.

You have my sympathy. My father went the same way. We got to the stage where my mother had to hide his car keys to stop him going out. Not long after she got rid of his car completely. When he went looking for it all he said was, “didn’t I have a car somewhere?” A very difficult time.

I think they`d sell like hotcakes if they made new ones now.Nothing in the sector of the market they occupied and they suited the needs of a lot of people.

OP given your requirements in such trying circumstances ,a Freelander as others have suggested perhaps ?

I have always found a pickup the most useful for around the farm for fencing and general jobbing - you can find decent enough l200's for under £3000 and you will sell it for nigh on what you pay for it when the time comes as they are bombproof - whatever you get there is no point in having 4wd if you do not have diff lock and good ground clearance